YAMAHA VMAX ... need your review

Rhomer
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

YAMAHA VMAX ... need your review

#1 Unread post by Rhomer »

i just bought a 1985 model YAMAHA VMAX 1200CC ... am new to this so i hope to get first hand feedbacks from you guys regarding this bike ... tnx !

Life is short ... Travel !

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Do you mean this is your first bike? And that you are just learning to ride? That's a lot of bike for a noob.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Rhomer
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Rhomer »

i also own a HONDA VFR400 but haven't use it for 3 years ..... its difficult to ride for big guys like me though i don't have big tummy :wink: ..... so i decided to get the YAMAHA VMAX ..... i just need some feedbacks regarding this bike for guys who had this too.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#4 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Fun bike in a straight line. Doesn't like the twisties as much so be careful getting used to it there. I forget what they call the boost, but it must make it hemorrhage gas b/c your mileage drops like a brick.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by mgdavis »

IIRC the "boost" is when the secondaries open up in the carbs.

Cool bike, they've been making it with few-to-no changes for a couple decades now. I think they're pretty bulletproof. Have fun with it. Lots of power, be careful as you get back into the swing of things.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#6 Unread post by NorthernPete »

from what Ive heard it gets worse gas milage then your car does...but they are very cool looking. and a torque monster.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Rhomer
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by Rhomer »

yup ... it guzzle up fuel like a 4 cyl mini suv during short drives ... the heavy frame makes it easy to handle in a straight line but am having some trouble turning at high speed because it feels like goin to slip ... its an easy ride and doesn't hurt my back :wink:

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by paul246 »

I'm pretty sure the forks from '92 onward are beefed up over the earlier models. There are also frame stiffeners available thru aftermarket that are affixed across each side of the engine. That is one of the great things with the V-Max, lots and lots of aftermarket goodies available.

Are you sure about that bike being an '85 model? I don't recall the black and brushed aluminium finish on the engine being offered that early, in fact I don't recall a black paint job being offered in that year, either. But, I could be wrong. :|

Wickedly cool bike, though. Always liked them. A definite cult classic.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

matthew5656
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda VTR

#9 Unread post by matthew5656 »

wow... but the VMAX pictured above, is that really it's 1985 model? Looks super clean and fairly modern for an 85... i'm impressed.

Rhomer
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by Rhomer »

the previous owner told me it is the 1985 model of Yamaha Vmax ... i had it repainted and chromed thats why it doesnt look like its age :wink: ... still saving up for additional accesories.