ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#41 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

Harleys should be bashed and there flaws pointed out. I am a life time harley guy and I wouldn't want the moco to become complacent. I am more then a little concerned with all the recent high tech applications because that equates a break down today leaves you stranded. Period. Like all bikes HD's have good and bad points. I have owned a Suzuki and Yamaha and its not the same.

My current rides:

1983 FLHS
1998 Ultra w/ ULE sidecar
2001 Ultra

Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

My bike choices

#42 Unread post by 0992 »

I'm on my 2nd HD V-Rod and have over 50,000 miles on them. They are the only HD I would buy again. My wife also has one and loves it. My other choice, which I'm looking at now, would be an 08 Yamaha Road Star for a longer range bike although I would still keep the V-Rod. The V-Rod handles super smooth and has alot of guts and is alot of fun on the twisties and back roads. The other HD's are not near as smooth and do not hit my wish list for my next bike. If it's not a V-Rod for me, then it's going to be something else that is non Harley. The hard core HD fans can have their air cooled Harleys. I want performace and I don't need status. Victory's also come close to the top of my list for performance but just ride a little stiffer.
I have ridden almost everything out there and that's my choices (my personal preferences)

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: My bike choices

#43 Unread post by Gummiente »

0992 wrote:and I don't need status.
This is going to shock you to the core and seriously f*** up your world, but...

... some of us don't buy Harleys for "status".

Carry on.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#44 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

... some of us don't buy Harleys for "status".
I am confused. You mean after 30+ years and 6 harleys I was buying them for the wrong reason? Thats it! I am going to the Honda dealer and getting a Goldwing!

Not.

All joking aside I am sure that some buy the HD for image but don't some of the sportbike guys do the same thing? There are as many reasons to own a bike as there are models and makes. All are relevent. So what if someone thinks he is cool for owning what ever bike he has. Everyone on 2 wheels faces the same ordeals on the road such as cars, mechanical malfunctions etc...

Patch holders take it to a whole 'nother level.

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#45 Unread post by RockBottom »

This may have been posted somewhere here before, but seemed appropriated for this thread (I kept the list because my boss--who is heading for Sturgis right now--and my neighbor are both die hard Harley heads):

Harley-Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the adverse side effect of horsepower

Did you know 95% of all Harleys are still on the road? The other 5% actually made it home.

What's the cheapest way to get another 50hp from your Harley? Trade it in on a Suzuki.

Why don't Harley riders sit on their bikes when the sidestands are down?
They're afraid to lean over that far.

What's the difference between a Harley and a Harley owner's home? The
Harley costs more and has fewer wheels.

Why don't Harley riders wave at sportbike riders? Because they don't want to drop their tools.

How do you know all the aftermarket parts you bought for your Harley are worth the money? You finally break into the 15's in the quarter mile.

What do you call a group of Harley Owners with a collective IQ of 120?
Sturgis!

How do Harley engineers tell if a bike is worthy of the Harley name?
They check to make sure the exhaust noise in decibels exceeds the horsepower rating.

Why do Harleys have fringe? So you can tell if they're moving.

How is a Harley Davidson like an old dog? They both like to ride in the back of pickup trucks.

What's the difference between a Harley taken to Daytona on a trailer
and one that's being ridden there? The one on the trailer is going about 30mph faster.

Why do all Harley owners have trailers? So they can go around corners faster!

You know you're a Harley rider if...

...you're unable to let your bike simply IDLE at a stop light.

...you confuse the word "character" with the more accurate term "engineering flaws".

..."water cooled" means standing on the side of the road, in the rain, waiting for a wrecker.

Gummiente

#46 Unread post by Gummiente »

Just once I'd like to see something completely original when it comes to Harley bashing, but I guess that's just too much to ask. That list was around when I was a newbie in the online world over 10 years ago. Welcome to the Interweb, RockBottom. :roll:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#47 Unread post by RockBottom »

Gummiente wrote:Just once I'd like to see something completely original when it comes to Harley bashing, but I guess that's just too much to ask. That list was around when I was a newbie in the online world over 10 years ago. Welcome to the Interweb, RockBottom. :roll:
Please accept my deep apologies for not having your depth of experience.

Gummiente

#48 Unread post by Gummiente »

RockBottom wrote:Please accept my deep apologies for not having your depth of experience.
I hope your keyboard shorted out from all that sarcasm dripping on it. :laughing:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#49 Unread post by HYPERR »

Gummiente wrote:
RockBottom wrote:Please accept my deep apologies for not having your depth of experience.
I hope your keyboard shorted out from all that sarcasm dripping on it. :laughing:
:laughing:

As for the HD jokes, yeah those have been around forever but they are still funny. :mrgreen:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#50 Unread post by koji52 »

there's a never ending line of idiots waiting for the perfect moment to bash on HD
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R