ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

Bubba
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

#1 Unread post by Bubba »

Stopped off at Brians Harley Davidson in Langhorne, Pa. the other day while out riding. Had a good look at all the bikes he had to offer, but once again the price outweighed the want.
I heard all the usual selling points including "maintaining their value", etc.
I think this was hashed about before, but are Harleys all they are being sold to be?
Are they better made? Are they more reliable? Do they hold their resale value?
Are they worth the extra thousands and do you get your moneys worth?

I'd like to here from you diehard Harley riders and try to leave your prejudices behind.
(Former owners are welcome too. :) )

:?

(PS: Just read this at Motorcycle Cruiser: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadte ... index.html)
2004 Yamaha Midnight Silverado
<-------------------------------------

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#2 Unread post by jonnythan »

They're pretty price competitive with similar bikes from other manufacturers.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Bubba
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#3 Unread post by Bubba »

jonnythan wrote:They're pretty price competitive with similar bikes from other manufacturers.
I just went through this with another member. Harleys, in the same category as my Yamaha, are about 2 to 3 thousand dollars more.
I went to their site and to their "build your own". With the accesories needed to bring their bike up to snuff with mine, it was over $16K., well over the $14K I paid for mine. To get a Harley 'stock' with all the accessories mine came with, was more than that.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#4 Unread post by jonnythan »

Bubba wrote:
jonnythan wrote:They're pretty price competitive with similar bikes from other manufacturers.
I just went through this with another member. Harleys, in the same category as my Yamaha, are about 2 to 3 thousand dollars more.
I went to their site and to their "build your own". With the accesories needed to bring their bike up to snuff with mine, it was over $16K., well over the $14K I paid for mine. To get a Harley 'stock' with all the accessories mine came with, was more than that.
That was me.

And you were wrong. Go back and reread the thread ;) A Super Glide Custom with Harley bags, windshield, Sundowner bucket seat, and passenger backrest comes in under $14,300. And it does it with one more gear on the transmission. And it'll be worth way more in 10 years. And has a much bigger aftermarket.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#5 Unread post by KingRobb »

I say they are...if you want that style of bike.

But like everything else with riding its about what you want.

If you want liquid cooled you prolly dont want a Harley (sans vrod)

If you want an overhead cam...you dont want a Harley.

If you want anything besides a V twin... you dont want a Harley.

Just based on retaining resale values they are worth the $2-4000 dollar difference for similar bikes... if you are buying for investment purposes.

It just comes back to what you want...if its what you want its worth it...nothing less will feel the smae to you...if its not then its not worth it.
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#6 Unread post by jstark47 »

Scanning craigslist and other ads, there's a large number of late-model, clean, low-mileage Harleys for sale now. If I wanted a Harley, I definitely would not go new with so many quality used ones out there. I wonder what that does to the conventional wisdom that a Harley is an investment? If the market is glutted, will the values hold up?
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Bubba
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by Bubba »

jonnythan wrote:
Bubba wrote:
That was me.

And you were wrong. Go back and reread the thread ;) A Super Glide Custom with Harley bags, windshield, Sundowner bucket seat, and passenger backrest comes in under $14,300. And it does it with one more gear on the transmission. And it'll be worth way more in 10 years. And has a much bigger aftermarket.
Don't want to argue. I told you what I did. I added all the items that are not on the Super Glide Custom that starts at $13, but are on my Yamaha stock which I paid $14K for, and it came to over $16K.
The Yamaha comes with much more that the few items you refer to. Add a rocker shifter. Add floor boards. Add cruiser lights etc. :frusty:

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#8 Unread post by Nalian »

My bike held it's value pretty well. I bought my 883 sportster custom at $6600. I traded it in a year later for my 650r for $6000 with 3k miles on it. I found the local harley dealer a lot easier to deal with on my bike than other comparible honda and yamaha cruisers, so I went with that.

tcreeley
Veteran
Veteran

Harleys

#9 Unread post by tcreeley »

Harlys are pretty great looking as bikes, and they are american made. That's a plus. But I've always heard that compared to the Honda's and Suzuki's, Harley's spend more time in the shop getting major engine work done. I don't know this to be more than a myth. Does this have any truth in it. For a long time I just figured foreign made in everything was better than American made - unless it was a tractor! Corvettes years ago had the same rep - fast but they needed work. Is this a myth for Harleys?
- of course my first bike was a little 125 benelli I rode around on with my girlfriend on behind while I was in school! ...and it would never start if it was rained on!

tcreeley

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

#10 Unread post by Gummiente »

Bubba wrote:Stopped off at Brians Harley Davidson in Langhorne, Pa. the other day while out riding. Had a good look at all the bikes he had to offer, but once again the price outweighed the want.
So... a couple extra grand is what's stopping you from buying a Harley? If your Yamaha is a better deal and easier on the wallet, why should you care how much a Harley costs?
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride