Buell 1125r

badfish89
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Buell 1125r

#1 Unread post by badfish89 »

I have not been on here for a long time. But I think I might be picking up one of these as my next bike. Thoughts?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_P ... 960&Page=1

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2007/1125R/

http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/sportb ... /index.asp
By David Edwards
July 2007

Redlined at 10,500 rpm and making a claimed 84 foot-pounds of torque, the new motor should yank the Buell 1125R out of corners.
You’ve read the rumors, now see the video. Buell will pull the wraps off a new and much more serious sportbike, the 1125R, at its international dealer show Sunday, July 8th, but the wonders of the web have delivered this Buell-produced video of the bike in action a day early, courtesy of our news-sniffing mates at England’s Motor Cycle News.

A clever ploy to turn up the volume on the bike’s viral buzz? A slip by the MCN tech in charge of video “flight time?” Who knows?

Here’s what we do know from viewing the video. Rumors have pegged the motor as Rotax-built, and the tape does nothing to disprove that. Powerplant is listed as a 72-degree V-Twin displacing 1125cc with a six-speed gearbox. It’s obviously liquid-cooled, a first for a Buell. Horsepower is claimed as 146 bhp; that’s undoubtedly at the crank, so expect 125-130 at the rear wheel, more than enough to vault the 1125R into a whole new performance league. The addition of a slipper clutch underscores the new bike’s seriousness.

Wheelbase is 54.5 inches, up 2.5 from the current XB12R. We’re told the gas-in-frame configuration is still used, though capacity has grown to 5.6 gallons. Likewise, there’s the next-generation of Buell’s rim front brake.

So, what we’ve got here is a new Super Buell, true to the brand’s iconoclastic nature, but taken to the next level by a motor that doesn’t have its design roots anchored in 1957. Looks like Ducati and Aprilia will have a new sport-Twin to worry about in 2008.

Last edited by badfish89 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://r2.fodey.com/178a00a236ae9408ea0fec7711f874423.1.gif[/img]
V-TWIN fo lyfe

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#2 Unread post by jonnythan »

I think it looks killer.. and I read a review of the bike by someone who is decidedly NOT a Buell fan.

He sounded very impressed by the bike, and talked at length about a few things he really loved about it.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

#3 Unread post by kabob983 »

I just don't like Harleys

Can't speak from personal experience but Buell's just do not seem to hold up well (sort of like their parent company). And, not trying to play favorites, but...
Looks like Ducati and Aprilia will have a new sport-Twin to worry about in 2008.
Last time I checked Buell tried to pull a fast one and put the XBRR in Formula Xtreme and the bike was so terrible they pulled out...1200cc twin vs. 600cc fours...HRMMMMMMMMM. Based soley on history I'd say Ducati has very little to worry about (Aprilia maybe but Buell's got a 125cc advantage over 'em).

Maybe I'm just biased though...

Serious question though, is that an acturate picture of the rider/bike on the bottom? If so that is really short front to back, tall riders beware, you'll have to cut a hole in the windsceen to put your head through when tucked.
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#4 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

badfish89,

I owned a Buell for 12 years. 1996 S2T. I believe it was the first production of a Eric Buell's Buell/ HD 45-55 partnership. I put some pretty good miles on her but immediately upon purchasing the bike I changed to some harder rubber sport touring tires instead of those factory sticky short life ones. At that time the general predisposition was that HD guys didn't like them because they looked "japanese" and the "japanese" sport bike guys didn't like them because they were HD. Me I only cared what I liked. :wink: And it was cool. It was painted like the VR1000 HD sport bike. Half Orange, half Black w/ a white stripe down the middle.

http://www.motorrad-bild.de/images_text ... lt_s2t.jpg

I loved it as far as living up in the mountains and hitting those curvy winding roads. It made my 30 minute high speed ride to work awsome(one time I got behind a pile of cars who were behind a stacked logger 18 wheelr and when I hit the no passing straight away I started passing the line of cars until I noticed about the 3rd-4th car up was a State Police vehicle. :shock: Knowing the road very well I took the first left at the beginning of this wicked curve. I knew the cop was gonna pull over and wait for me after he got outta that curve. Wonder what he was thinking when I didn't come by. Anyway as luck would have it, true story, where I turned left there was a town cop looking up surprised, while giving another cageer a ticket for something. I got off that left, double backed the way I came and went to work another way).

I took many 6-8 hour trips and road her to Nova Scotia one time. She was a trooper as we hit sunny skies and the torrential downpour that NS can be known for. I did loose the rear cyclinder once after 3-4 hours in that blinding down pour but once I got on the ferry I pulled, dried and replaced the plug and all was good again. As I got older and my stomach just expanded for no reason I am aware of and despite pondering the cause and effect of that happening over a many beers I soon found it very uncomfortable to ride long distance on the Buell in these recent past months. I am now 51yo.

It had sh*t resale value when I went to buy another bike. Despite being meticulously maintained and garaged kept I just about gave it away. Win some lose some. The pan I sold at the same time on the other hand quaddrupled in value. So it balanced out. If your concerned about resale/trade in value don't buy the Buell. From my experience I thought it was enjoyable from a perfomance point of view. That HD torque with the nimblness of a sport bike was good to me. I have never seriously ridden GPZ's or Ninja's or any of the other proven sport bikes for comparisson.

If they have improved on that design I have no doubt you would not be disppointed with that purchease...from a performance/rider point of view.

Okay I better stop talking about her as I find myself missing her.

Also see slimcolo's review here:

viewtopic.php?t=25631

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#5 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Beull is without a doubt here to stay I can tell you from first hand experience the R is an absolute rocket ship got to ride it in sept at the pocono track and it is really a first class machine. I am more comfortable on my 06 lightning long but the R really rocks :mrgreen:
there aint nothin like it

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#6 Unread post by High_Side »

kabob983 wrote: Last time I checked Buell tried to pull a fast one and put the XBRR in Formula Xtreme and the bike was so terrible they pulled out...1200cc twin vs. 600cc fours...HRMMMMMMMMM. Based soley on history I'd say Ducati has very little to worry about (Aprilia maybe but Buell's got a 125cc advantage over 'em).
Apples to Oranges... With the Rotax engine the Buell WILL be reliable. Rotax make engines for Aprilia and BMW, as well as the 1978 SKi-Doo I still own that has never been apart and runs like a clock the 1-2 times a year that I ask it to. Performance wise, it isn't aimed at the RSV or 1098, but it should be great on the street.

I'd love to be able to get in to the 1125R, as the old Firebolt felt like it would be awesome given an engine that would rev. The Firebolt looked great too which makes it all that much more sad that the 1125 doesn't. What the hell were they thinking? That is one ugly am-fm bike. That alone wouldn't keep me from buying it though. Can't wait to get one out for a ride.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#7 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

The 1125 r has better ergos than the bolt to me and is literally 3 times faster the difference can not be explained you must expierance it.
Beuty is however in the eye of the beholder I love its look
there aint nothin like it

badfish89
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by badfish89 »

I have fallen for the looks of this bike. I think it has a great flow. the lines are great.

I have spoken to the Buell guy at my local H-D and he went down and got to test the new Buell. I was told nothing but good news. This bike is getting a lot of press, Im excited to see how it does! Im also planning on trading in my firebolt, and upgrading to the 1125R!
V-TWIN fo lyfe

mysta2
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by mysta2 »

kabob983 wrote:Serious question though, is that an acturate picture of the rider/bike on the bottom? If so that is really short front to back, tall riders beware, you'll have to cut a hole in the windsceen to put your head through when tucked.
Buells have always been short, it's part of what makes them cool.

I'd like to see this thing in person, as for pictures, I don't like it. The nose looks like it came off a goldwing, and needs to go back. In the past I've always liked pictures of Buells, the Lightning especially, but upon closer inspection they'd fall apart. Is this one actually going to be painted? I had a hard time with the colored and transparent plastic Playskool look of the past bikes and the fit and finish was always atrocious, which doesn't inspire confidence in the overall quality of the bike. All this partnered with the fact that the bikes don't even get any respect within their own dealerships will always leave Buell bringing up the rear in my opinion.

They have a ton of potential and I have a ton of respect for Eric Buell, if he ever gets Harley to take him seriously I think these bikes can be fantastic.
[url=http://www.cafepress.com/dropbars][img]http://www.dropbars.com/cafepress%20banner.jpg[/img][/url]
Check out my [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=5844]blog[/url] for the latest on my little project.

badfish89
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by badfish89 »

mysta2 wrote:
They have a ton of potential and I have a ton of respect for Eric Buell, if he ever gets Harley to take him seriously I think these bikes can be fantastic.
Eric Buell was not held back by using harley engine and parts on this Bike. It is a whole other creation. I have a lot of faith that this bike will be spectacular!
V-TWIN fo lyfe