Hyosung Gt250R VS. Kawisaki 250R

lefty1806
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male

Hyosung Gt250R VS. Kawisaki 250R

#1 Unread post by lefty1806 »

Im looking to get my first bike hopefully this summer or maybe next..n its pretty much between those two bikes since i dont have much money now..n i like the looks of the GT250R alot bettter..but are they as reliable since not as big known name as kawisaki..n kawisaki is also alot cheeper..so replys would be nice..thnks

Septimus
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F800ST

#2 Unread post by Septimus »

It'd be tough to find a bike as reliable as the Ninjas just because they've been making them for so long.

The Hyosung bikes haven't been around for all that long and so you are bound to have a few more issues (or, at least, the same number of issues but they will be harder/more expensive to solve). So much so that you shouuld get a different bike? I doubt it, the GT250r does look pretty sweet. :)

I'd get the cheaper one to start with though, ride it for a couple seasons, and then spend some more money.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by jonnythan »

The Hyosung isn't hideous.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by Veda »

Have you sat on either? The Hyosung has a sportier seating position (leaning forward on your wrists, legs a bit behind you) and the Ninja a more standard position (sitting up straighter, feet directly below you). You may find one to be more comfortable than the other.

Furadi
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Furadi »

I'm also considering a Hyosung. I would choose one over the little ninja on looks alone. It has a much better fit in my opinion. I always feel like im riding a dirtbike on the ninja 250:p

palerider
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#6 Unread post by palerider »

I just bought my wife an 08 Ninja 250R. It now has 700 miles and the first service has been done. I live in California with mountains nearby, so many of the miles are from twisty roads. So far, excellent news on the little bomb. I really liked the new styling and the improved power is evident as I have ridden my friend's 07. The factory has noticed me of two recalls, both of which were done during service. The only adjustment made at service was the amount of play in the throttle...(needed less for comfort). Good news for 2008..the service is about $75.00 less than 2007 due to not needing a valve adjustment.

First riding impressions: These little revvers feel gutless at low rpm unless you keep the tach above 6000 (this is especially difficult at first since the factory break in limits the rpm). Freeway speeds require around 8000 and above. To pass quickly at 65, a downshift to 5th provides the needed punch. The first 300 miles is pretty tedious because of the rpm limits and the lack of power at low rpm. At around 400 miles, the bike really picked up power and it continues to get more powerful each time I ride it.
Gas mileage has been consistent at 58 mpg.

The riding position is typically sport bike uncomfortable with most of the physical discomfort for males (at about 1 hour in the saddle) centered just below the ol' family jewels. Since I normally ride a bagger, it really bugs me not to have sufficient rear view from the mirrors (gotta move your arms to see). Finally, I wish the turn signals were self cancelling...I'm spoiled.

Overall...I cannot believe that Kawasaki can produce a bike that looks this good and runs this well for such a cheap price. I bought my bike for $4200 OTD. This has gotta be the bargain of the year.

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#7 Unread post by Big B »

i'd get the kawi any day of the week and twice on sundays over the hyosung. a bunch of reasons why, but a huge one is that here in wisconsin (where the o.p. is from) there are a ton of kawasaki dealers and very very few (i've never seen one, but that doesn't mean there isn't any) hyosung dealers.
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

damooster
Regular
Regular

#8 Unread post by damooster »

I don't have any experience with the Hyosung, but I currently own a 2007 Ninja 250. It is a good bike to learn on, but I gotta ask you: do you have to have a 250? It's been less than a year since I bought my 250 and I'm trading it in this week. Like I mentioned, it's a good bike to learn on, but you may get bored of it fast (my personal opinion). A lot of people I know that ride bikes predicted that this would happen.

I'm no speed demon or squid by any means; I have never been over 75MPH and that was on the highway. I'm just tired of getting pushed around on the highway, not to mention the jokes. No one should influence your riding decision, but it did get old telling people that I rode a Ninja 250 and them asking why so small.

I'm not recommending that you go out and get a huge bike, but there a few 500's that you might keep longer and are marginally more expensive.

My two cents, but I hope you don't end up like me: less than 2000 miles and already bored.

Misguided Missle
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by Misguided Missle »

Septimus wrote: The Hyosung bikes haven't been around for all that long and so you are bound to have a few more issues .
They have not been around HERE long. In asia they have been around for 30 years.

Ill pit my UM against any of the japanese big 3 in its class.

If you ride it wild and beat it like a wicked step child, yeah they break.
but then so do the others.

goodies
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by goodies »

I just seen my first Hyosung the other day. I thought it was a pretty good looking bike. A guy I went to the MSF with had one. He loves it!