VStar 1100

willw
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

VStar 1100

#1 Unread post by willw »

I'm really becoming interested in the Yamaha (sorry, "Star") VStar 1100 because it just seems to fit me like a glove. The problem is that the only Yamaha dealer within any doable distance from me won't let anyone test drive the things because they don't want the odometer accumulating numbers. Fair enough.

So, can anyone answer me this: I heard that the VStar is kinda slow, acceleration-wise, for an 1100 cc bike. Can anyone give me a fair consumer report on performance of these bikes?

I'm also considering the Vulcan 900, which I understand has nice torque. The Vulcan 900 also fits me, although the VStar is a bit better fit.

Can anyone give me a good side-by-side report on these two machines?
www.sportshak.com

big_ry_ry
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2007 yamaha VStar 1100 classic

Re: VStar 1100

#2 Unread post by big_ry_ry »

willw wrote:I'm really becoming interested in the Yamaha (sorry, "Star")
So, can anyone answer me this: I heard that the VStar is kinda slow, acceleration-wise, for an 1100 cc bike. Can anyone give me a fair consumer report on performance of these bikes?

I have an 07 v-star 1100, it is a little on the slow side, but it handles well and is very forgiving witht he throttle. It does not turn well at slow speeds.
Cruising it is very smooth, stock seat sucks my butt goes numb after 45 minutes, if you get the vstar buy the oil relocation kit as you will have to take the lower pipe off everytime you do an oil change, this will stop that. So far mine has been pretty much defect free, and everyone I have ever talked to who has owned a vstar said they are bullet proof.
Don't get me wrong it is not fast but it is not slow, I expected a little faster pickup in my opion

Sorry i have never driven the other bike

I still call it yamaha, it has a yamaha sticker on it, in my book still a yamaha, also yamaha financing, yamaha warranty, yamaha website. Untill they change all that it is a yamaha

dude
Rookie
Rookie

short stroke engine on the 1100 vstar

#3 Unread post by dude »

the bore is 95mm and the stroke is 75mm so 75/95=78.9%. THIS IS A SHORT STROKE ENGINE. so the rpm will be high when it starts making power. you will have to down shift when you want to get on it. I don't like this in a cruiser. this is more like a crotch rocket. my 2007 vsar 1300 tourer has a 100mm bore and a 83 mm stroke so 83/100= 83 %. This is a short stroke engine also and the torque isn't good till the rpm gets up. My bike jernks and misses around 20 mph with lite engine load. this sucks. I liked the 1999 vulcan engine better because it ran smoother at low rpm, got better MPG( 50 tourer gets 45 ) and has lots of torque on hand when you get on it. bad thing is this model has a plastic oil pump gear that Kawasaki will replace after the gear fails and wipes out all the bearings. they wont replace the bearings but they will replace the plastic gear on the pile of junk so I bought the tourer which is jerking me offly :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: .
vstar 1300 tourer

dude
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by dude »

willw wrote:I'm really becoming interested in the Yamaha (sorry, "Star") VStar 1100 because it just seems to fit me like a glove. The problem is that the only Yamaha dealer within any doable distance from me won't let anyone test drive the things because they don't want the odometer accumulating numbers. Fair enough.

I'm also considering the Vulcan 900, which I understand has nice torque. The Vulcan 900 also fits me, although the VStar is a bit better fit.

I had the 1500 vulcan and now have a vstar 1300 tourer. I like the vulcan engine best. the vstar 1300 toured sits best but the engine jerks and the Yamaha windshield is terrible. The best position for it is under my bed. don't know about those two.
vstar 1300 tourer

greenhell07
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by greenhell07 »

I totally love my VStar 1100. The engine has so much potential but I believe most stock engines on bikes do have the potential to really rip it up. The bike does turn well at slow speeds it a matter of how you are turning and the lean you put into it.
It's true. the stock seat sucks. You'd need to look at an aftermarket seat or make plans to mod the seat yourself. There are lots of aftermarket accessories for the 1100. A buddy of mine has a VTX 1300 and the accessories he can find for his are low in comparasion to what you can find for the 1100.
It's called the oil filter relocation kit. Runs about $250. And it's a kit set up so you don't have to drop the front pipe to gain access to the oil filter. Dropping the pipe is not a big deal though as long as you're somewhat mechanically inclined and can turn a wrench. Oil changes are not difficult and you only need to change the oil filter everyother oil change. Not worth the money in my opinion.
As a stock engine, it's not bad but then again its a cruiser and not supposed to be a crotch rocket. Many 1100 owners add whats called a pod kit. If you've heard of Maxair you know what I'm talking about. I added a pod kit to mine and whoa! Talk about totally changing the ride and performance of the bike!
I say that most metric cruisers are all pretty solid. Most have they're little quirks but then again don't most vechicles? What's important is finding what you like. I knew after sitting on a few other models that the VStar 1100 was right for me and although one day I want to add a Road Star Midnight to my collection I know I don't want to sell my beloved VStar 1100.
Another thing, there is another forum that has an excellent group of 1100 owners who are great in helping and answering the newbie questions. If you're interested let me know. Being that this is my first post I don't want to go causing trouble or stepping over boundaries before I get a chance to interact with the folks here.

Good luck and you can't go wrong with a V Star 1100.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

A guy I routinely ride with drags his floorboards on his 1100 for fun as he turns it around for parking. He's an old guy and doesn't seem to have any trouble maneuvering it at slow speeds. Maybe it's just you :laughing:

That said were I to pick between the two I'd go with the Vulcan. I think it's a smoother ride which is what you cruiser guys are all about right?
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

greenhell07
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by greenhell07 »

That is another one of the down sides to the VStar1100 is the turning clearance of the floorboards. I used to have that problem until I bought the floorboard relocation kit. Smooth sailing.

I wished I would have been able to test ride the vulcan. It's probably the bike I would have chosen had I not got my 1100.

What I've heard from many riders is that the lower displacement bike leaves something to be desired after say 6 months of riding. Many will get a 650, 750, 800 cc thinking they've got enough power but after riding for awhile they realize they've outgrown the smaller bike and wished they had gotten something bigger.

I think the vulcan is a nice lookin bike. I'm not sure if I like the 1500 or 1600 better. From looking at an 800 up close when my wife was looking for a bike is that there is a lot of plastic on that bike. One thing I especially didn't like is the plastic fenders. That lost me right away.

Needless to say my wife made the right choice for her. Yep. Another V Star 1100 calls our garage home too! :laughing:

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#8 Unread post by canuckerjay »

I've got an '05 1100. A good bike for the price. Having said that, not for everyone.

Compared to other cruisers I've ridden, the 1100 does not handle as well at slow speeds. It is not a pig to handle at slow speeds, just does not handle as easily as say, a C50. It's a bit more of a struggle to keep the thing balanced.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that Yamaha relocated the oil filter as of 2006, in response to numerous complaints.

In terms of power, it is decent. the bike comes stock with 50-52hp. Modify the intake with a pod kit under the tank, and replace the stock pipes with 2-1 Cobras, and you'll be upwards of 60-62hp. Beyond that, if you really wanted to get crazy, you could mod the cams and get more power out of it. . .

In terms of top end power, the 1100 hums at 100km/hr. It sings at 110. At 130, the engine is screaming -- it's a high reving Vtwin, and you have to live with it. This is not a worry, the engine can take it. But it does take some getting used to; and most I talk to (and myself) always wish for a 6th gear on the highway.

Other things to consider; it's an air cooled bike with a manual choke and no gas gauge. Many prefer the world of fuel injection and such toys like the guage. I truly don't care myself, but you might. Problems? No major problems plague these bikes. Some report twisted starter bolts, but I find those complaints are few and far between.

Replace the stock seat. Everyone does. It's that bad.

Hope this helps. All around, a good bike for the money.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

greenhell07
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by greenhell07 »

canuckerjay wrote:I've got an '05 1100. A good bike for the price. Having said that, not for everyone.

Compared to other cruisers I've ridden, the 1100 does not handle as well at slow speeds. It is not a pig to handle at slow speeds, just does not handle as easily as say, a C50. It's a bit more of a struggle to keep the thing balanced.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that Yamaha relocated the oil filter as of 2006, in response to numerous complaints.

In terms of power, it is decent. the bike comes stock with 50-52hp. Modify the intake with a pod kit under the tank, and replace the stock pipes with 2-1 Cobras, and you'll be upwards of 60-62hp. Beyond that, if you really wanted to get crazy, you could mod the cams and get more power out of it. . .

In terms of top end power, the 1100 hums at 100km/hr. It sings at 110. At 130, the engine is screaming -- it's a high reving Vtwin, and you have to live with it. This is not a worry, the engine can take it. But it does take some getting used to; and most I talk to (and myself) always wish for a 6th gear on the highway.

Other things to consider; it's an air cooled bike with a manual choke and no gas gauge. Many prefer the world of fuel injection and such toys like the guage. I truly don't care myself, but you might. Problems? No major problems plague these bikes. Some report twisted starter bolts, but I find those complaints are few and far between.

Replace the stock seat. Everyone does. It's that bad.

Hope this helps. All around, a good bike for the money.
I've got an 06 and the oil filter has yet to be relocated. I wished it was.

EBHJR
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic

#10 Unread post by EBHJR »

I just bought a 2000 VStar 1100 Classic and I'm noticing that it doesnt like to corner at lower speeds. I'm leaning as far as I am comfortable (I'm still a new rider, so that isn't too far) and oncoming traffic still kinda intimidates me and it's kinda...meh. I've noticed that when I am able to corner at higher speeds, it handles them like a breeze.

Acceleration from 2nd gear onward is breathtaking. Accelerating in 4th from 60-90 is a couple heartbeats. I kind of wish I had one more gear though.

...and my baby doesnt like running cold. I've noticed that.

Love my bike, even though I am putting a new starter clutch in it...