Honda Rebel vs Kawa Elimator for first bike

Penguin_master
Rookie
Rookie

Honda Rebel vs Kawa Elimator for first bike

#1 Unread post by Penguin_master »

So, I know I already posted a couple of things of this nature before, but I have some questions about some other bikes.

Which seems like a better overall bike, the Honda Rebel, or the Kawa Eliminator? How fast will I be able to get them? I know they are not built for speed, but I was wondering if they would be safe enough to take on a short road trip.

Reliability is my main concern. I know honda has that reputation, but reputation isn't everything. Anybody have any other suggestions?

--Scott

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#2 Unread post by VermilionX »

Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum

#3 Unread post by Big B »

yes, honda does have a repuation of being very reliable, and as far as i'm concerned it's well deserved. i've beaten the hell out of several hondas and they've never failed me. that's not to say that kawasaki doesn't make a great bike though. i don't think you could go wrong with either bike, the best one for you will be the one you feel most comfortable sitting on.
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

bok

#4 Unread post by bok »

i'd get the honda. i am biased and i admit it. i've ridden both and the rebel (for me) was more comfortable and had more power.

i wouldn't want to try and run for an 8 hour all interstate cruise on it, but it is comfortable at 55-60 for short road trips, and a good bike to learn on.
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]

J.R. Bob Dobbs
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by J.R. Bob Dobbs »

I bought a used Rebel 250 as my first bike. As a total newbie, it actually seemed POWERFUL to me for the first several months.

On a good day under the right conditions (no headwind or hillclimb), it would run 85mph indicated. I think it would go a tad faster but that would exceed max engine speed in top gear so I didn't try. That was holding the throttle WIDE open almost continuously.

It can cruise at 75 all day long, but at that speed further acceleration is best measured by sundial.

rnr262
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by rnr262 »

I love my Rebel, and commute on it to work. It's a great little bike, and will do 85 if needed, but it have any "go" after about 70. It's pretty peppy through 55 or so, and then it takes a bit of time to keep climbing.

I often find it's my bike of choice when I'm going out on my own. It's not a powerful bike, but it is a fun one.
01 Vulcan 750
05 Rebel

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by Scott58 »

My 05 Rebel has had no issues in 15,000 miles. I love this little bike.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#8 Unread post by scan »

We owned a Rebel as our first bike (Loonette and I), and it was a great starter bike. It ran well and sold for almost the same price paid. I'm a bit heavy myself, a few blocks north of 200lbs, so the bike did have speed limitations - max 75 or 80 MPH. I would not have felt comfortable at extended high speed, but in the 55 to 65 range the bike is just great. It had no problem accelorating my rear end around town.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#9 Unread post by roscowgo »

<<would personally love to have a lil rebel or a virago.

Even though i am a er..fatguy :oops:

Been eyeballing a white one down the road.... been eyeballing a savage down the road too though heh.

goodcruisin
Regular
Regular

#10 Unread post by goodcruisin »

the virago 250 actually had the best review for those little bikes, better look two than a parallel twin.
heres the link
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadte ... omparison/ :?
so many roads............ so little time!
gonna ride em all in washington....
then find some more