Buell Blast - dont bother

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Sex: Male

Buell Blast - dont bother

#1 Unread post by jmillheiser »

ok the bike is a 2001 buell blast that had a mere 3000 miles on it.

I spent 2 months trying to get it to run for more than 2 minutes. Apparantly the carb is toast and that combined with the leaky fork seals and leaky steering head has made it obvious that this bike is beyond resonable repair.

I have since parted the bike out and am getting ready to sell the usable parts on ebay.

DONT EVER BUY A USED BUELL BLAST! this is a bike that is designed to be ridden one season and thrown away.

If you must buy a blast get it brand new and expect to send it to the junkyard after about a year

DirtyD86
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by DirtyD86 »

ive heard some pretty mixed responses about buells. people tend to either love them or hate them, ive never heard anyone say "oh they make a pretty decent bike". being made by harley id expect them to be pretty high in quality but i dunno. ill have to ride one for myself and see how i like it

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

#3 Unread post by kabob983 »

Ya, is IS a Harley!

I thought about the Buell Blast but I just didn't want a 1 cylinder bike, and I didn't like the design...or the feel.

So yeah, I changed my mind fast.
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#4 Unread post by jmillheiser »

DirtyD86 wrote:ive heard some pretty mixed responses about buells. people tend to either love them or hate them, ive never heard anyone say "oh they make a pretty decent bike". being made by harley id expect them to be pretty high in quality but i dunno. ill have to ride one for myself and see how i like it
Buells are junk period. I was looking at an '04 lightning yesterday and the salesman went to start it, lets just say he ran the battery dead trying to get it to start, and it did have plenty of gas in it. Did I mention that this lightning only had 8 miles on it (leftover 04 that hadn't sold). I tried not to laugh when the salesman told me they wanted $10,200 for the bike which wouldn't start and I could tell had already been dropped because the left footpeg was broken off.

Most used Buell blasts I have seen that have much more than 3000 miles all seem to have leaky fork seals and steering heads, and every buell blast I have ever seen leaks oil even brand new ones sitting on the showroom floor.

camthepyro
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#5 Unread post by camthepyro »

Hmmm... that sucks, I was thinking about getting a buell.
Member of DWPOMD and RATUBBAW

'80 Suzuki GS 450
'00 Kawasaki ZR7 ( Sold 09/08 )
'82 Honda Nighthawk 450 ( Sold 02/07 )

[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10838]My bloggy thingy[/url]

nyrblue35
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by nyrblue35 »

jmillheiser wrote:
DirtyD86 wrote:ive heard some pretty mixed responses about buells. people tend to either love them or hate them, ive never heard anyone say "oh they make a pretty decent bike". being made by harley id expect them to be pretty high in quality but i dunno. ill have to ride one for myself and see how i like it
Buells are junk period. I was looking at an '04 lightning yesterday and the salesman went to start it, lets just say he ran the battery dead trying to get it to start, and it did have plenty of gas in it. Did I mention that this lightning only had 8 miles on it (leftover 04 that hadn't sold). I tried not to laugh when the salesman told me they wanted $10,200 for the bike which wouldn't start and I could tell had already been dropped because the left footpeg was broken off.

Most used Buell blasts I have seen that have much more than 3000 miles all seem to have leaky fork seals and steering heads, and every buell blast I have ever seen leaks oil even brand new ones sitting on the showroom floor.

uh oh, youre gonna pi$$ off earwig and a bunch of other buell owners. i like controversy!!!!
See my bike and accessories at
www.CruiserCustomizing.com/nyrblue35

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#7 Unread post by jmillheiser »

I dont know if the 05+ buells are still prone to problems.

I have heard from a number of sources (including a Harley dealer) that the 2000-2004 buells were prone to a number of problems. this was the entire line not one particular model.

I have been told by a buell owner that if your going to get one either get 05+ or 99 and earlier

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#8 Unread post by Mintbread »

jmillheiser wrote: I have heard from a number of sources (including a Harley dealer) that the 2000-2004 buells were prone to a number of problems. this was the entire line not one particular model.
It took them six years to sort the problems out? Wow.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#9 Unread post by jmillheiser »

Mintbread wrote:
It took them six years to sort the problems out? Wow.
in the HD family Buell seems to get the short end of the stick.

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#10 Unread post by Mintbread »

It appears that the consumer gets the short end of the stick...
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]