46 Years of Models
+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2000 - 2009 Models
+ 1990 - 1999 Models
+ 1980 - 1989 Models
+ 1970 - 1979 Models
+ ATV Guides
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Biker's Dictionary
+ Buyer's Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ MPG Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Cool Wall
+ Performance Guide
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW History
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converters
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Photo Gallery
+ Google Plus
+ Old Photo Gallery
+ TMW Merchandise
Advertising & Media
+ Contact Us
+ Site Map
All content on Total Motorcycle is copyright protected and actively monitored by DMCA Protection Services.
Motorcycle is family owned and operated
By Riders, For Riders, 250 Million readers for over 16 years.
Honda CBR954RR Fireblade
Back to 2002 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click on photos to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
The world's best-selling open-class sport bike is redesigned for 2002 with
aggressive styling, even lighter weight and more power. Thanks to a 1.0mm
bore increase, larger 42mm throttle bodies and the higher 11.5:1 compression
ratio, the CBR's engine now displaces 954cc and rewards riders with the highest
balance of performance available anywhere.
New for 2002
· The CBR954RR produces 154 horsepower at 11,250 rpm and 74.6 lb./ft. of torque at 9,000 rpm with a 12,150-rpm rev limiter.
· Weight-saving measures reduce the overall dry weight to 168 kilograms (370 pounds), resulting in a class-leading power-to-weight ratio.
· 954cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder engine features a 1.0mm bore increase to 75mm and an increase in compression ratio to 11.5:1 for stronger low-end and mid-range engine response.
· Crankshaft and engine cases are refined with the assistance of computer-aided design (CAD) to minimize friction and reduce weight nearly 170 grams (6 ounces) for optimum performance and long engine life.
· Each forged piston is lightened 6 percent and weighs only 170 grams (6 ounces). Additional weight is pared from the four piston pins, further reducing total reciprocating weight to permit faster engine-revving, decrease unpleasant vibration and minimize engine stress associated with the increased displacement.
· An oil spray is directed toward the undersides of the pistons to ensure the bigger and lighter pistons remain cool, enhancing power and contributing to long engine life.
· Single exhaust valve springs replace double springs to reduce friction, reduce unsprung valve train weight by a total of 71 grams (2.5 ounces) and permit the engine to rev more quickly.
· Fuel injector throttle bodies are increased in diameter from 40mm to 42mm. Each new electronic fuel injector has 12 laser-drilled jet holes for finer fuel atomization, resulting in smoother, more responsive throttle performance and faster, more efficient combustion for stronger power output.
· Advanced programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) features a sophisticated throttle sensor and sophisticated fuel injection mapping to produce smooth and linear throttle response, responding precisely to fine throttle adjustments.
· Second-generation PGM-FI electronic control unit (ECU) featuring a larger memory and newly programmed control maps achieves faster processing speeds than the ECU it replaces.
· Redesigned, lighter-weight fuel tank hose is easily repositioned for servicing.
· Higher-capacity radiator and modified internal cooling paths improve cooling efficiency by 5 percent for stable operating temperatures under a wide range of riding conditions.
· New starter motor with neodium magnets is 397 grams (14 ounces) lighter than the previous design.
· New ultra-lightweight titanium muffler further reduces overall exhaust system weight by 312 grams (11 ounces), while the natural dark finish and milled aluminum end-caps contribute to the HRC(r) works-type appearance.
· Redesigned transmission gear engagement dogs result in a smoother, more positive shifting feel.
· Modifications to the steering head casting thickness increase torsional rigidity 10 percent for even sharper handling. Lighter, redesigned rear castings feature repositioned frame rail mounts for the slimmer seat rail.
· New tapered-roller steering head bearings provide an even more precise steering feel.
· All-new swingarm showcases HRC's latest racing technology with a huge right-side box-section pressed form coupled to a new reinforced left-side extrusion. Despite its larger size, the new swingarm's thinner walls achieve a remarkable 261 gram (9.2-ounce) weight reduction over the swingarm it replaces.
· D-shape swingarm casting reaching under the swingarm pivot is refined with CAD to provide variable casting thicknesses to further enhance torsional rigidity.
· Rear shock absorber's spring weight is reduced by a remarkable 198 grams (7 ounces).
· Brake calipers (two front, one rear) feature Nimuflon(tm)-coated steel pistons and Teflon-coated rollback seals to enhance braking feel under repeated hard use. Brake fluid system pressure is increased 10 percent, resulting in even better braking feel and performance.
· New lightweight wheels feature more compact hubs and narrower hollow-section spokes, trimming off nearly 170 grams (6 ounces) of unsprung weight from each wheel for even better handling.
· All-new distinctive bodywork features a lower, more sharply angled and aggressively designed front cowl and a lighter, slimmer seat cowl. A new hugger rear fender closely follows the curve of the rear tire.
· A new, narrow-eye multi-reflector headlight has a single, central H7 low/high beam surrounded by two additional H7 high beams to brilliantly illuminate the night roadway.
· Upper fuel tank dimensions are reduced 10mm in height and length to move the rider closer to the steering head for more responsive control and greater rider maneuverability. The upper fuel tank profile flows smoothly into the seat for a clean and integrated look while the fuel tank is expanded downward between the frame rails to maintain effective volume and contribute to mass centralization.
· New aluminum footpeg brackets are stronger and nearly 56 grams (2 ounces) lighter than the steel pieces they replace.
· LED-type taillight provides brilliant illumination and exceptionally long life.
· Exciting 2002 colors are Red/Black and Silver/Black.
· Sixteen-valve cylinder head features 29mm intake and 24mm exhaust valves with an 11.5:1 compression ratio for efficient combustion and high horsepower.
· Narrow, 25 degree included valve angle (13 degree intake/12 degree exhaust) provides a direct path for the incoming air/fuel charge for improved engine breathing and increased power. The narrow angle also helps make the CBR954RR engine compact and light.
· Forged steel camshafts are carburized and tempered, providing superior strength and lighter weight compared to conventional cast designs.
· Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system ensures high-rpm durability and allows 25,600 km valve maintenance intervals.
· High-pressure programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) delivers fuel at 50 psi to the four injectors mounted in each 42mm throttle body. Fuel is delivered through 12 laser-drilled nozzle holes in each injector, producing a very fine spray and a highly combustible air/fuel charge for maximum combustion efficiency and power.
· Auto-enriching system is integrated into PGM-FI module, eliminating the need for a manual choke.
· Forged aluminum pistons are screen-printed with LUB-Coat finish to minimize friction between the piston and cylinder.
· Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The lightweight composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
· Electronic ECU provides two digital 3-D fuel injection maps for each cylinder and one digital 3-D ignition map for cylinder pairs, creating ideal fuel mixture and spark advance settings for superb rideability.
· Four transistorized direct-ignition coils integrate the spark plug cap and high-tension lead to produce a high-voltage, long-duration spark for maximum performance and superb throttle response.
· Honda's Variable Intake/Exhaust Management System (HVIX(tm)) manages the intake and exhaust charges. An intake valve in the 10-litre airbox maintains a constant-velocity, variable-volume flow of cool, fresh air to the PGM-FI system.
· The unique Honda Titanium Exhaust Valve (HTEV(tm)) located in the exhaust collector provides the scavenging and power benefits of a 180 degree exhaust collector design between idle and 3000 rpm, and transitions exhaust flow to a 360 degree collector design from 3000-7000 rpm, then combines 180 degree and 360-degree configurations at engine speeds above 7000 rpm to maintain maximum power output.
· Magnesium head cover is exceptionally light and strong.
· Round, liquid-cooled stainless steel oil cooler is lightweight and efficient.
· Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioner.
· Lightweight curved aluminum radiator keeps engine temperatures in check for consistent performance and long engine life.
· Bearingless water pump features a high-efficiency design.
· Exotic titanium used in exhaust header, HTEV and muffler housing.
· Nine-plate clutch design is compact and tough, featuring durable friction plate material.
· Smooth-shifting close-ratio six-speed transmission ratios are carefully matched to the engine's powerband.
· Durable #530 O-ring-sealed drive chain.
· Lightweight twin-spar extruded aluminum frame features a pivotless swingarm design utilizing a cast aluminum bracket attached to the swingarm pivots. This combination provides an exceptionally light, tuned-flex design offering superb road feel and excellent rigidity.
· Tapered and braced box-section swingarm provides exceptional lateral and torsional rigidity.
· A cast aluminum bracket reaches underneath the swingarm and attaches to the swingarm pivots, forming a D-shape swingarm mounting enclosure that increases the rigidity of the swingarm-to-engine mounting.
· 43mm inverted aluminum-slider Honda Multi-Action System(tm) HMAS(tm) cartridge fork features spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability, and offers precise action and unparalleled rigidity.
· Pro-Link(r) rear suspension features a high-quality HMAS damper with an integrally cast reservoir, 13-position spring preload, rebound damping and compression damping adjustability for superior rear wheel control.
· Braking system features huge, 330mm front floating discs with four-piston calipers and a 220mm rear disc with a single-piston caliper for exceptional stopping power.
· Super-light aluminum-alloy hollow-spoke wheels feature race-spec 3.5 x 17-inch front and 6.0 x 17-inch rear dimensions.
· Unique bank-angle sensor shuts off fuel supply to PGM-FI system if the motorcycle tips over, but is unaffected by bumps and vibration in normal operation.
· High-capacity, 475-watt AC generator.
· High-tech instrument display includes black-face electronic tachometer, LCD readouts for speedometer, coolant temperature, odometer, two tripmeters and a clock. A low-fuel LED light is located in the tachometer.
· Lightweight front brake lever has a compact adjuster and incorporates the return spring in the master cylinder.
· Key-lockable 6-liter rear cowl storage box is designed to hold most commonly available U-type and cable locking devices. (Lock not included.)
· Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
· Lightweight, recyclable oil filter cartridge.
· Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
· Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty.
954cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder
Bore and Stroke
75mm x 54mm
DOHC; four valves per cylinder
PGM-FI with automatic enricher circuit
#530 O-ring-sealed chain
43mm inverted HMAS cartridge fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 120mm (4.7 in.) travel
HMAS Pro-Link single shock with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 135mm (5.3 in.) travel
Dual full-floating 330mm discs with four-piston calipers
Single 220mm disc with single-piston caliper
1400mm (55.1 in.)
815mm (32.1 in.)
168kg (370 pounds)
18 litres (3.8 Imp. gal.)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national
regulation and legislations.