Honda 599 New to Now

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#151 Unread post by Sev »

Damn and double damn! I rode my bike into work despite the heavy rain and then left it parked outside in the downpour for my full 12 hour shift. When I got outside after changing into my gear, I found my poor tankpad had been completely stripped off the tank by the rain and was now sitting in a puddle under the bike. I can't believe I forgot that the non-water soluble glue only turned that way after 7 days curing. At which point some mystical force interacts with the glue to alter its chemical structure, berefit of any chemical or physical change in the glue to make it insoluble TO water. I'm such a fool.

I'm actually REALLY depressed about it, I only had the chance to put about 170km on the bike with the new tankpad, but the added HP really made a difference, the bike "sounded" louder, and the throttle "seemed" more responsive. I'll have to buy another one and get my lost power back!

In all seriousness, I know it was just a silly cosmetic mod, but I'm really happy with it. It covers up the small patch of "less shiny" tank that my coat rubbed off, and will protect from further problems with that. It wasn't anything bad, you had to get close and squint to see it, but it bothered me. It's also put it into my head to make some more mods, I'm thinking a belly pan and fender eliminator next.

In other news, I have the distinct impression I should be dead right now. When I said downpour I meant downpour. The road home was flooded out in three places, and I had to go through the water at one point... it literally reached to my feet. All that went through my head is, "don't turn, don't shift, don't do anything." And nothing bad happened, made it home safe.

Skier - yes, these are the stock tires, I have no idea what they are, and I'm currently to wet to wander out there and find out what they actually are.

Maybe yours have seen quite as many miles yet or something, or you got a different tread design, or MAYBE the picture just didn't come out well.

*can a mod please delete Verm's posts?*
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#152 Unread post by Sev »

So, I've been sitting on this since about February now, but things are rapidly coming to a head. In Sept I'm going to be moving from Sherwood Park (near Edmonton) to Fairview, to attend NAIT college. I've enrolled in, and been accepted to the Employment Motorcycle Mechanics course. Basically it's 2 semesters of instruction on how to fix most anything motorcycle from mechanical to electrical, afterwhich I spend 4-6 weeks working at a shop. Assuming I pass standards there I can challenge the apprenticeship exam.

The reason I'm posting about this now is because I've recieved both my acceptance and a letter confirming that I'll be living in residence for the duration at a remarkably low price.

The best part is I'm allowed to work on my own bike during the course. Though really, my bike doesn't need a lot of work... so I'm looking at getting a beater bike (ideally one I don't need to pay for) to work on through out the winter. Basically from Sept to April.

Anyone willing to loan me a beater bike? Haha. Seriously.

All in all, I'm really excited about this. I've already had a bunch of people say they want me working on their bikes when I get back (including most of my Aunt & Uncle's riding club), and a lot of my friends as well. I'm also pretty nervous, but it will pass I'm sure. I've been thinking about that in the long run, ought to be a REALLY good side source of income, if I have 20 or 30 people bringing me their bikes to fiddle with in my free time, and all paying me in cash :D.

Since I've started riding, I've devoured every scrap of knowledge I can find, often to the detriment of other studies, so this seemed like the logical extrapolation of that. So everyone stop laughing at the REALLY skinny guy who wants to be a mechanic.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#153 Unread post by High_Side »

Motocycle school? Great for you Sev!

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#154 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Noice! Ever think of working for a dealer or something?
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

rapidblue
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#155 Unread post by rapidblue »

Sevulturus wrote:
Anyone willing to loan me a beater bike? Haha. Seriously.

well if you're serious and you ever get down to S'toon or I go up to Edmonton, you can take my 67 yamaha and give er $hit. It's pretty rough but i'm sure it needs work on everything you'll learn.
80 honda CB750F Super Sport

David E
Regular
Regular

#156 Unread post by David E »

Hi Sevultures,

Just discovered your Honda 599 journal and have read the first 3 of 16 pages. I'm loving it and look forward to reading the rest. You write really well and put across the thrill of riding a bike as well as anyone. It's not easy describing why riding a bike is so exciting but you do pretty well. I loved the piece about leaving your troubles and cares by the side of the road.

I agree with just about all you say about the 599 - I've had one too for about 16 months (faired Hornet) and it's a brilliant bike to ride - fast, agile and usually feels as light as a feather (unless it stalls on a slow turn, then it seems to weigh a ton!) I haven't had the same problem as you with the seat, and, as you suggest it's probably due to my backside padding!

Anyway, keep up the fascinating journal and good luck with the motorcycle maintenance course. :motorbike:

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#157 Unread post by Nalian »

I think it's great you want to do that - the best job you can get is the one you love to do.

Skier

#158 Unread post by Skier »

What I've noticed is when you enjoy doing something as a hobby, doing it for work makes it a whole lot less fun. Taking a cue from your signature, Sev, here's a personal example: I used to be a computer enthusiast - up to speed on all the latest video cards, CPUs, motherboard chipsets, etc... Then I went to college and got my degree in Computer Science. Working on the computer for upwards of 12 hours a day took its toll and I didn't want to tinker with the dang thing all the time like I used to. I just wanted it to bloody work. I honestly hated troubleshooting my home computers, software and hardware.

It will probably be the same thing with bikes - if you enjoy wrenching on 'em as a hobby, try doing it for 10 hours a day, six days a week and see how long it lasts.

http://www.dansmc.com/yourshop.htm
However, I do not recommend Motorcycle Mechanics as a career. I do recommend it as a hobby. Why ? Well, for several reasons. Considering what you have to know and the number of tools you need, the pay is lousy. ... If you twist wrenches all day you are NOT going to want to twist them at night, on your own stuff. You will want to do something else. (Like Computers !) You also develop a very mercenary attitude toward bikes. Nowadays, when I see a really great bike, I don't think "What a great bike to have and ride." I think "How much can I sell that toad for ?"
Not to discourage you, heck, you might completely love it. Just making sure you're not missing this perspective. I wish nothing but the best in your future endeavors.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#159 Unread post by Sev »

I've put a lot of thought into that. What I've been envisioning is more like a real job + this. I've got a handful of places to potentially work, and on my days off take on one or two bikes for extra money. I'd get to pick and choose what kind of work I'm doing, and I'd get to pick and choose how much of it.

Plus I'll be able to do everything that I want on my bike.

Long term, I'd like to have a little house with a BIG garage, where some of the locals can stop by with a busted bike to borrow tools, or get some help/advice. Or alternately drop it off and get it fixed (for a price). Hopefully turn it into a local hangout or something.

Just vague plans, but it might work out well if I'm lucky.

skoebl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#160 Unread post by skoebl »

Sevulturus wrote: Long term, I'd like to have a little house with a BIG garage, where some of the locals can stop by with a busted bike to borrow tools, or get some help/advice. Or alternately drop it off and get it fixed (for a price). Hopefully turn it into a local hangout or something.
I'd drive the couple thousand miles in a heartbeat to go hang out there 8)
Last edited by skoebl on Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SV650 K6 <---Suuper Awsome bike

[quote="V4underme"]
If I didn't feel like a monkey &*$%ing a football when I sat on a sporty, I'd probably own one.[/quote]