Hard starting bike? (Kawi 250)

funsocaltiger
Rookie
Rookie

Hard starting bike? (Kawi 250)

#1 Unread post by funsocaltiger »

Alright guys I'm new here so I wanted some input on this. I bought a 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 about 6 weeks ago. When I first bought it, it seemed to start right up the way I thought it should. You just turn up the choke, hit the starter and it lights right up.

It also did this the first time I started it in my garage when I brought it home.

However, everytime since then I've had to give it some throttle for it to start. Other than that it appears to run fine. It is also like this even when I am restarting it warm.

Is this a problem? Something clogged? Just an adjustment?

I should also add that I really havent ridden it but 3 times (short rides, too) in the past 6 weeks (I was waiting for my MSF class to really do anything). Also, the owner before me only put 1300 miles on it and I'm really not sure how actively he was riding it right before he sold it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Sev »

Has the temperature changed a lot?

I've found above 20 degrees celcius mine will fire up without the choke, below 20 and I need the choke, below 3 or so and it will have a little trouble getting going.

There's other things to consider though. Has the oil been changed at all? Should have had its first service at 1000 km.

The battery might also be dieing, how old is it? And how was it stored over the winter?

Lots of little things, but it isn't REALLY something to worry about, unless it doesn't start at all.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

funsocaltiger
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by funsocaltiger »

Sevulturus wrote:Has the temperature changed a lot?

I've found above 20 degrees celcius mine will fire up without the choke, below 20 and I need the choke, below 3 or so and it will have a little trouble getting going.

There's other things to consider though. Has the oil been changed at all? Should have had its first service at 1000 km.

The battery might also be dieing, how old is it? And how was it stored over the winter?

Lots of little things, but it isn't REALLY something to worry about, unless it doesn't start at all.
I live in Southern California, so the temperature is almost always above 20C. It was around 25C yesterday. It was around that temperature the last time I rode it too.

I also had this problem after the bike had been running a little while (I think). I will be riding it a bit more this week to confirm if that is still the case.

Also as far as the oil change he did it right at about 600mi (1320km). I was considering doing another change, but there is only around 2700km on the bike right now and the second change shouldnt be until around 6000km.

The battery is a definate possibility, however. It is the factory 2004 battery, so it's probably about 1-2 years off the shelf now. I do not know how he stored it over the winter, but I do know he didnt really ride it much in the months prior to selling it. I will see if riding it a while gets the charge back up or I may buy a charger to make sure that it is topped off.

Thanks!

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by Scott58 »

You may want to check the plugs. They should be ok, but i would do it anyway. If it's any consolation to you my Rebel is harder to start after it is warmed up also. By harder i mean i have to give it some throttle. If your battery is only 2 years old i wouldn't worry about it that much. Most of the time you should get 3 or 4 years out of it and i've gone as long as 5 years on the same battery. You may want to look into a smart-shot battery maintainer. It's a good investment for $30.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#5 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

My carb'ed bikes dont start really easy unless I run them a few times a week. I live in Florida, so it is nice and hot here too. At least start it a few times a week! Also, dunno if this is an issue with all bikes, but make sure to sit it up straight for a few seconds before starting it.... it lets oil get into the engine.

Not sure why it wouldnt start up once it is warm though... might need to clean the carbs or something