All about battery maintenance.

DieHard
Rookie
Rookie

All about battery maintenance.

#1 Unread post by DieHard »

I still consider myself a new motorcycle rider. I currently own a used 1989 Yamaha XV250 Route 66 motorcycle. I just had my first battery problem. I have all the lights on, but the bike won't start. So, I have questions about battery maintenance:
  1. I ride my bike on short trip between school and home every few days, is it normal for battery to die like this?
  2. How often do I need to charge the battery?
  3. How long does it take to charge a battery?
  4. Could it be the alternator (the motorcycle's built-in charger)? How do I know the alternator is bad?
Thank you guys! I love riding my motorcycle, it's a thrill everytime!

storysunfolding
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#2 Unread post by storysunfolding »

1.) Short trips are hard on any vehicle, especially on a bike if it's mainly low rpms. So maybe not normal, but not rare.
2.) That's debatable- I keep mine hooked to a trickle charger so it's always tip top. Also make sure that your battery connections are clean and the fluid inside is filled to the right level- if not fill with distilled water and recharge
3.) Depends on the battery and the charger. If anyone tells you less than 2 hours don't let them charge your battery. I throw mine on the trickle charge overnight when I get a new one. Sometime between bedtime and waketime it finishes
4.) It could be. Check the voltage at the battery while the bike is running. Ideal is around 13.5V anything below 12.5 or above 15v and you have a problem- could be alternator for some, R/R for others, maybe a bad ground or a poor connection. I always recommend taking apart and cleaning every connector on a bike as old as yours and making sure to put a coating of dielectric grease on it to protect it in the future from corrosion.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars