HandsomeRyan's Blog

NorthernPete
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#11 Unread post by NorthernPete »

*chuckles* Its allways easier when you watch it done isnt it? I remember how much problems I had when I got my bike running last year, I stalled out in the dealership parking lot a few times... but alot of practice and you'll only be stalling it every other stop sign.. :lol: Fun though aint it?

one thing that I did, I dont know if its recommended, is on my bike I had the idle screw turned up a bit more then usual, so when I would release the clutch it had enough fuel to start moving without me being too good with the throtle control, I slowly turned it down as I got used to it and now its where it should be. Just my little tip.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#12 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

^^thanks for the tip, i'll remember that when i get a bike! ^^

I PASSED!

so i passed the MSF! it was a WONDERFUL experience. i credit most of that to my two awesome instructers and my friendly and helpful classmates. Today i felt a lot better on the clutch (only stalled it once!) and i got to "feather" it to hold the bike on a hill a little bit. i also made a 100% on the written and riding sections. i went out of the box on the "8" but i guess they didnt see it. i feel VERY confident that i want to be a biker! i am not ready for real street riding yet, but i am ready to TEAR UP an abandoned parkign lot or quiet cu-de-sac! the feeling of riding is like bicycing (i love to bike) but without all the effort :laughing:

Accident report:
one girl dropped the bike 2 time, another once, but not during complex manuvers. one bike had a broken off shift peg, another got a dent on the exaust. one guy did dump his bike, but he has a stroke 3 years ago and was told he would probably never walk again, so he was doing really well considerign his circumstances (he can walk now)

I have decided i definatly dont want a new bike or a big/powerful bike like i thought i did. i want a small beater bike to learn to ride the crap out of it! in fact, those little bike are so fun, i might buy one, and keep it even if i get another bigger bike just to play with. (good gas milage, and if i convince the lady to ride, shell have soemthign to play on without messing up my nicer bike)

I am sore, sweaty and tired- and theres a six of bud light calling my name, so i am going to retire for the evening now. Hope everyone had as good of weekends as i did.

did i mention- Im a biker now!!!!
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]

camthepyro
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#13 Unread post by camthepyro »

Sweet! Congrats!

And yeah, an old beater is a good move. Glad to hear you did better with the clutch. I had a little bit of a problem with it, as my bike has tended to idle pretty roughly (I need to check that out). Basically, just give it more gas then you think you'll need, and you'll be alright. Oh, and let the clutch out slowly, so you'll know if it needs more gas. Good luck, hope you get a bike soon!

:motorcycle:

Oh, and when you start riding, watch out for dogs, they really do chase you through neighborhoods, it looks something like this:

AHHHH!!!!!
/
:scooter: :dog:
Member of DWPOMD and RATUBBAW

'80 Suzuki GS 450
'00 Kawasaki ZR7 ( Sold 09/08 )
'82 Honda Nighthawk 450 ( Sold 02/07 )

[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10838]My bloggy thingy[/url]

NorthernPete

#14 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Cheers Ryan, Heres something for you to paruse for your bike hunting.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/

and I dont know tennessee geography, but heres Nashvilles craigslist motorcycle classifieds as well...

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#15 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

NorthernPete wrote: but alot of practice and you'll only be stalling it every other stop sign.. :lol: Fun though aint it?
:laughing: That's oh so true.. the first time out in the neighboorhood I think I stalled out 4 times on the same stop sign...geeze I was about to just walk the bike home. I'm much better now thank GOD!

Congrats on passing!!! :thumbsup:

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#16 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

ok so i got my new licence today! the pic on it is awful but oh well, i never cared for licence photos. now im MADLY searching for a bike. i called/emailed some craigslisters, and checked not only my newspapers classifieds but also about 1/2 the newspapers in the state's online classified sections. im really digging the mid-80's Honda standard bikes. and i need to keep it around $1000ish to pay cash. i may go by some dealers tonight and see what they have used? (although it will cost more)
i found a 84' nighthawk 650 for $1300 that looked pretty good, and there was another 79 honda 400 something? for $1000 but it stated explicitly that everythign worked and lots of new pieces (tach cable, brakes, tires, re-done seat, etc.) the kind of things a bike of that age is likely to need. i just want a bike so bad, i dont want to wait, i'll probably buy the first one i go look at that i can afford. partly i want to hurry up and get a bike before i forget everyhting i learned in that MSF class. i have a co-worker who plays tennis and im going to try to get him to give me some old tennis balls to make "cones" to practice ridign in a parking lot.
Any sugestions for cutting them in half?

i put some stickers on my helmet too, i have the reflective MSF safety sticker on one side, and a sticker that says "Bikers have more fun than people do" on the other. i wanted one that said "could you drive better with that cell phone shoved up your "O Ring"?" but couldnt find it.
i thought abotu adding latex "devil horns" to the top ogf the helmet (like you glue to your head on halloween) but my g/f FREAKED OUT and said i was not going to do that. i decided that they would probably flop around in the wind while riding, and get messed up when i carry my helmet. still a cool idea though.

well, i dont have much else to say, but if you see any bikes in the less than $1500 range near eastern Tennessee please dont hesitate to let me know. i've been trying to check out craigslist knoxville, nashville, ATL, lexington, asheville, chatanooga, and occasionally a few others. (but when you are spendign less than 2K on a bike, you cant make it worth the trip to go toooo far to pick it up.

if you need me i'll be in the "for sale" forum. :laughing:
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]

NorthernPete

#17 Unread post by NorthernPete »

*L take your time Ryan, If you get the first one you see you could end up with a money pit like no one buisness, and they will "pee" you off more then waiting too find a better bike *L

NOthing worsze then having a bike sitting in your driveway that you cant ride (like me ATM *grumbles*)

As for stickers, hammer down, but glueing things on, not a good idea, I believe it can have a reaction to the shell making your helmet useless. this goes for painting as well (although I suppose airbrushing is fine) I could be wrong though.

Grats again. take your time and you'll find the perfect bike, not saying the first one wont be it, but be sure to bring a mechanically inclined friend with you.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#18 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

unfortunatly i AM the mechanically inclined friend, but not very much so. i grew up with a bunch of upper middle class kids who didnt "fix their own stuff" mommy and daddy bought all of us cars when we turned 16, and if the car broke, we took it to the mechanic and mommy or daddy paid to have it fixed. so none of my friends, myself included have toooo much knowledge of working on engines. i know how thew work, but i wouldnt know how to take one apart and re build it. and unfortunalty i am off mommy and daddys pay roll, so i guess i'd learn engine mechanics REAL QUICK. im going to keep looking. i gotta call and get soem insurance quotes. (bike < $1000 = minimum coverage ; bike < $1000 = full coverage)

NorthernPete

#19 Unread post by NorthernPete »

1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#20 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

yea, i called abotu thatbike. it doesnt look too bad there is suposedly one small dent in the gas tank, but other than that its fine. i may call the guy back to go look at it this weekend. i also took today off from work (wasnt feelign well this morning) and so i am going to some local stealerships to look at used bikes today (the idea of a 2000+ gs500 is growing on me) but we'll see. i want to keep my insurance and motorcycle payments total under $200 or maybe $250 for something much newer/nicer. thanks for being on the lookout for me. soo it will be happy bike day for Ryan!