HandsomeRyan's Blog

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

HandsomeRyan's Blog

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:16 pm

Hello everyone, welcome to my motorcycle blog!
We’ll start with an introduction. My name is Ryan, I live in Knoxville, TN. I am 21 years old (well next month I will be) I share an apartment with me awesome lady-friend Tabatha, and my 9 month old Doberman pincher named Princess (or Doggins as she is most often referred to). I recently became interested in motorcycles. No one in my family rides, nor do any of my close friends, but I have never really been like any of them so I guess I’ll just keep being different.

My history: I was born and raised here in east TN. I graduated high school in 03’ and went to college for 2 years studying ornamental horticulture (um… plants) but I had “some things come up” and decided to quit for now. My better half goes to UT (go vols) and is studying to be a biology/genetics person. She is wicked smart. My Doggins just graduated from puppy school but she didn’t really learn much.

Currently I work for a company that distributes magazines so I get to look at spreadsheets on computers all day in a nice little office. Oh yea, I get LOTS of free magazines.

I begin the MSF course tonight (4/28/06) and I am soooo excited! After the course I am looking to buy a bike and start riding.
When I first decided I wanted to be a biker, I did what many of us without a network of biker friends and family do- posted on this forum like “what is a good newbie bike?” and was told to read the stickys.

Now I know a little more after numerous dealer visits and pouring over craigs-list and cycle trader for hours a day I feel I know a little more about bikes. I appreciate all of the help and advice given on this site so far, and I know that much more will be coming.

I hope to get some pics of everything up soon, but here are a few to get us started:
Me in my new jacket,gloves, helmet and boots.

here is Princess (Doggins) when she was about 5 months old, shes about 2x that size now but still looks the same.

Thanks For Stopping By~!
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:46 pm

Good luck tonight, let us know how it goes! :righton:

camthepyro
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

Unread post by camthepyro » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:06 pm

Good luck at you MSF tonight. And I like you dog.

Oh, and the Vols are awesome.
Member of DWPOMD and RATUBBAW

'80 Suzuki GS 450
'00 Kawasaki ZR7 ( Sold 09/08 )
'82 Honda Nighthawk 450 ( Sold 02/07 )

[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10838]My bloggy thingy[/url]

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:25 pm

night one of MSF class-

I showed up about 30 minutes early because im a "hurry up and wait" type of person. so i walk into the classroom and theres an older man in there puttign out pamphlets on tables, i said "motorcycle class?" and he invited me in. he introduced himself and i took a seat front and center of the class. i was the first one there. so we made akward small talk for a minute about how great the weather was and whatnot.

a few more people came in and sat down quietly. and class began, we were supposed to stand up and say our name, where we are from, any motorcycling experience, and what we hoped to get from the class.

so.. being the "class clown" that i am when i got to what i wanted to learn i said i hope to be using the knee pucks in my one piece leather by saturday afternoon. (editors note: i dont have a one piece leather nor do i have knee pucks) everyone giggled.

so the class has 12 people in it. 8 guys, 4 girls, and one male and one female instructor. i am probably about the same age as one guy in the class but the two of us are a decade or more younger than all the other people in the class.

everyone seems to be really nice and i cant wait to start riding tomorrow.

ok so heres where im making some freinds. we voted to move the class begining up from 8AM to 7:30 tomorrow so i stopped by walmart and got a thing of chocolate chip cookies, some pre-sliced bananna bread, and 2 bags of doughnuts to bring with me tomorrow to make a "breakfast buffet" on my trucks tailgate fo my fellow riders tomorrow. arent i nice?

ok well i think its time for bed... but i hope to have more to report tomorrow after my first motorcycle ride evAr!

:motorcycle3: :motorcycle: :scooter: :motorbike:

w00t.
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:27 pm

By the way:

everyone who views this blog should feel free to leave comments, questions, sugestions or whatever. i know we are all guilty of hijacking each others threads so i'll try to keep things from going toooooo far off topic (topic being me, and how awesome i am) but dont be shy if you have somethign to say.

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

Unread post by DivideOverflow » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:14 pm

Do you have a bike yet? Or are you getting one right after your MSF? If so, what kinds are you looking at?

I just like to know about everyone's rides.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:26 am

i do not have a bike, i thought about a gixxer 1000 but i dont have a .45, big sword, or a cape to wear. so now i am waitign to finish the class to see how i feel on the bikes. i fell in love with the monster 620 dark (ducati) and the 599 (honda) but both are a little more bike than i need and a little more than i am looking to spend on a first bike and if im not confident yet, i will end up with an 80's "beater" bike to hone my skills on, then 'll trade up in the fall or spring.

NorthernPete
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha sr250

Unread post by NorthernPete » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:52 am

HandsomeRyan wrote:i do not have a bike, i thought about a gixxer 1000 but i dont have a .45, big sword, or a cape to wear.

It was a scarf *chuckles*

and 80's beaters FTW!
1982 sr250

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

ok, i survived

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:08 pm

So the first riding day of class was, in a word... Humbling.

I started out doing really well but i am NOT good with the clutch.

we all got assigne bikes andi got the only "dual sport" most everyone else is on cruiser bikes. i like it and every one was really jelous. we sterted off learnign where the clutch engauges and stuff, i was okay with that, until time to ride on other excersizes, i must have stalled 400 times today, but i got some helpful advice form a rider coach and a class mate and im still slow to start but i am not stalling as often. we did a lot of different drills and i felt really good abotu it. it was SOOOOO much fun once you are on and riding. second gear is um.... a lot better than fisrt. if i thought i could reliably start in 2nd, i'd never use first on that bike, 1st is comfortable from about a dead stop to about 3mph then 2nd is good from 3 to baout 30 (as fast as i cared to go in the parking lot full of other beginner riders). we had beautiful weather, overcast but not rainy and a slight breeze. so accident recap-

of the 4 girls in class, 3 of them dropped the bike, 1 of them dropped it 2 times. but nothing serious, no injuries. none of the guys did. one girl also forgot to depres the clutch when we were parking in the "saging area, and almost plowed into about 4 of us who had already stopped. as a rule, the guys were a lot more confident than the girls. (not sexist, just true) but the guys were worse at following instructions, like missing turns and ridign the wrong way.

so i decided to rule out the liter bikes as first rides :rant: (although there are 2 guys in my class one is "gettign a gixxer 600 next week" and the other "has a CBR lined up to buy from a friend" neithe is much better than i am and so i try to keep my mouth shut when they say how awesome it they will look on them.

the breakfast stuff went over well, one other guy brought doughnuts to share, so we ade a buffet on the back of my truck and most of the stuff got eaten.

ok, well, i am tired, sweaty, achy, and smelly, so i need to go get in my bathtub and soak for a bit. but i am looking foward to riding again tomorrow and i dont think i'll have any problem passing the class.

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:14 pm

by the way- since this blog is all about me- you should all check out my favorite websites-

in no special order:

this one, but you already check it out, hey, your reading this arent you?

www.fark.com (funny news stuff)

www.wreckedexotics.com (pics of wrecked exotic cars)

www.rotten.com (the daily rotten news)

www.collegehumor.com (cool links and pics of boobies, probably NSFW)

www.hackaday.com (cool projects and "hacks")

www.ebaumsworld.com (videos)

www.giosphere.com (games)

www.the12volt.com (mobile audio and video forum)

www.craigslist.com (2 words, casual encounters) (just kidding)

www.wikipedia.com (coolest pedia ever, wikipedia)

i like thses sites and, um, if your cool- you will too!

NorthernPete
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by NorthernPete » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:56 pm

*chuckles* Its allways easier when you watch it done isnt it? I remember how much problems I had when I got my bike running last year, I stalled out in the dealership parking lot a few times... but alot of practice and you'll only be stalling it every other stop sign.. :lol: Fun though aint it?

one thing that I did, I dont know if its recommended, is on my bike I had the idle screw turned up a bit more then usual, so when I would release the clutch it had enough fuel to start moving without me being too good with the throtle control, I slowly turned it down as I got used to it and now its where it should be. Just my little tip.
1982 sr250

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:02 pm

^^thanks for the tip, i'll remember that when i get a bike! ^^

I PASSED!

so i passed the MSF! it was a WONDERFUL experience. i credit most of that to my two awesome instructers and my friendly and helpful classmates. Today i felt a lot better on the clutch (only stalled it once!) and i got to "feather" it to hold the bike on a hill a little bit. i also made a 100% on the written and riding sections. i went out of the box on the "8" but i guess they didnt see it. i feel VERY confident that i want to be a biker! i am not ready for real street riding yet, but i am ready to TEAR UP an abandoned parkign lot or quiet cu-de-sac! the feeling of riding is like bicycing (i love to bike) but without all the effort :laughing:

Accident report:
one girl dropped the bike 2 time, another once, but not during complex manuvers. one bike had a broken off shift peg, another got a dent on the exaust. one guy did dump his bike, but he has a stroke 3 years ago and was told he would probably never walk again, so he was doing really well considerign his circumstances (he can walk now)

I have decided i definatly dont want a new bike or a big/powerful bike like i thought i did. i want a small beater bike to learn to ride the crap out of it! in fact, those little bike are so fun, i might buy one, and keep it even if i get another bigger bike just to play with. (good gas milage, and if i convince the lady to ride, shell have soemthign to play on without messing up my nicer bike)

I am sore, sweaty and tired- and theres a six of bud light calling my name, so i am going to retire for the evening now. Hope everyone had as good of weekends as i did.

did i mention- Im a biker now!!!!

camthepyro
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

Unread post by camthepyro » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:17 pm

Sweet! Congrats!

And yeah, an old beater is a good move. Glad to hear you did better with the clutch. I had a little bit of a problem with it, as my bike has tended to idle pretty roughly (I need to check that out). Basically, just give it more gas then you think you'll need, and you'll be alright. Oh, and let the clutch out slowly, so you'll know if it needs more gas. Good luck, hope you get a bike soon!

:motorcycle:

Oh, and when you start riding, watch out for dogs, they really do chase you through neighborhoods, it looks something like this:

AHHHH!!!!!
/
:scooter: :dog:
Member of DWPOMD and RATUBBAW

'80 Suzuki GS 450
'00 Kawasaki ZR7 ( Sold 09/08 )
'82 Honda Nighthawk 450 ( Sold 02/07 )

[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10838]My bloggy thingy[/url]

NorthernPete
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by NorthernPete » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Cheers Ryan, Heres something for you to paruse for your bike hunting.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/

and I dont know tennessee geography, but heres Nashvilles craigslist motorcycle classifieds as well...

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/
1982 sr250

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) » Mon May 01, 2006 7:32 am

NorthernPete wrote: but alot of practice and you'll only be stalling it every other stop sign.. :lol: Fun though aint it?
:laughing: That's oh so true.. the first time out in the neighboorhood I think I stalled out 4 times on the same stop sign...geeze I was about to just walk the bike home. I'm much better now thank GOD!

Congrats on passing!!! :thumbsup:

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Tue May 02, 2006 12:26 pm

ok so i got my new licence today! the pic on it is awful but oh well, i never cared for licence photos. now im MADLY searching for a bike. i called/emailed some craigslisters, and checked not only my newspapers classifieds but also about 1/2 the newspapers in the state's online classified sections. im really digging the mid-80's Honda standard bikes. and i need to keep it around $1000ish to pay cash. i may go by some dealers tonight and see what they have used? (although it will cost more)
i found a 84' nighthawk 650 for $1300 that looked pretty good, and there was another 79 honda 400 something? for $1000 but it stated explicitly that everythign worked and lots of new pieces (tach cable, brakes, tires, re-done seat, etc.) the kind of things a bike of that age is likely to need. i just want a bike so bad, i dont want to wait, i'll probably buy the first one i go look at that i can afford. partly i want to hurry up and get a bike before i forget everyhting i learned in that MSF class. i have a co-worker who plays tennis and im going to try to get him to give me some old tennis balls to make "cones" to practice ridign in a parking lot.
Any sugestions for cutting them in half?

i put some stickers on my helmet too, i have the reflective MSF safety sticker on one side, and a sticker that says "Bikers have more fun than people do" on the other. i wanted one that said "could you drive better with that cell phone shoved up your "O Ring"?" but couldnt find it.
i thought abotu adding latex "devil horns" to the top ogf the helmet (like you glue to your head on halloween) but my g/f FREAKED OUT and said i was not going to do that. i decided that they would probably flop around in the wind while riding, and get messed up when i carry my helmet. still a cool idea though.

well, i dont have much else to say, but if you see any bikes in the less than $1500 range near eastern Tennessee please dont hesitate to let me know. i've been trying to check out craigslist knoxville, nashville, ATL, lexington, asheville, chatanooga, and occasionally a few others. (but when you are spendign less than 2K on a bike, you cant make it worth the trip to go toooo far to pick it up.

if you need me i'll be in the "for sale" forum. :laughing:

NorthernPete
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by NorthernPete » Tue May 02, 2006 1:27 pm

*L take your time Ryan, If you get the first one you see you could end up with a money pit like no one buisness, and they will "pee" you off more then waiting too find a better bike *L

NOthing worsze then having a bike sitting in your driveway that you cant ride (like me ATM *grumbles*)

As for stickers, hammer down, but glueing things on, not a good idea, I believe it can have a reaction to the shell making your helmet useless. this goes for painting as well (although I suppose airbrushing is fine) I could be wrong though.

Grats again. take your time and you'll find the perfect bike, not saying the first one wont be it, but be sure to bring a mechanically inclined friend with you.
1982 sr250

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Wed May 03, 2006 5:43 am

unfortunatly i AM the mechanically inclined friend, but not very much so. i grew up with a bunch of upper middle class kids who didnt "fix their own stuff" mommy and daddy bought all of us cars when we turned 16, and if the car broke, we took it to the mechanic and mommy or daddy paid to have it fixed. so none of my friends, myself included have toooo much knowledge of working on engines. i know how thew work, but i wouldnt know how to take one apart and re build it. and unfortunalty i am off mommy and daddys pay roll, so i guess i'd learn engine mechanics REAL QUICK. im going to keep looking. i gotta call and get soem insurance quotes. (bike < $1000 = minimum coverage ; bike < $1000 = full coverage)

NorthernPete
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by NorthernPete » Wed May 03, 2006 6:12 am

1982 sr250

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Wed May 03, 2006 9:52 am

yea, i called abotu thatbike. it doesnt look too bad there is suposedly one small dent in the gas tank, but other than that its fine. i may call the guy back to go look at it this weekend. i also took today off from work (wasnt feelign well this morning) and so i am going to some local stealerships to look at used bikes today (the idea of a 2000+ gs500 is growing on me) but we'll see. i want to keep my insurance and motorcycle payments total under $200 or maybe $250 for something much newer/nicer. thanks for being on the lookout for me. soo it will be happy bike day for Ryan!