my rant about stupid magnet ribbons

zarakand
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by zarakand »

BuzZz wrote:I just seen where the Canadian Government is releasing a coin with a breast cancer ribbon(in color, yippie) minted into it. Just to show how friggin' much they(we?) care. My tax dollars at work? Not bloody likely.

Just put some dam money into research and find a cure!!!! Now there's a novel idea. To novel for the politicians, I'm sure.

Keep the bleeding heart, lovey-dovey B.S. to yourselves and actually do something effective instead of yammering on about how much 'we care'....

What a waste of..... well everything, really.... :frusty:
LoL you think that's bad...Chicago is opening up a new EL line that ties parts of the south side with the loop, guess what this one's color is? Pink to help raise awareness...yeesh. :roll: I'm all for increasing taxes to pay for education and reform in education so we can have "smarter" citiziens to help find cures, but I don't think these efforts work as well long term.
Honda Shadow Aero
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10329/]Chicago Bike Blog[/url]

Shiv
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#12 Unread post by Shiv »

Just put some dam money into research and find a cure!!!!
It'll never happen. As we all know, they don't want a cure.

There's no money in teh cure. It's a one time thing. If you can keep the person coming back for multiple prescriptions and chemotherapy and x-rays etc and so forth then you got money. If you cure them, you lose all that.

There's no money in the cure. Only the treatment.

Oh and the marketting of those little ribbons.
Have fun on the open /¦\

There's more to this site than just the message board.
www.totalmotorcycle.com

I know, I was surprised too.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#13 Unread post by BuzZz »

I fear you are all too correct, Shiv....
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Wizzard
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#14 Unread post by Wizzard »

Guess what ? I sport one a dem pink ribbons on the front of the Magic Bus for the simple reason that my wife was cured of not one , but two types of cancer . Unfortunately they did not have the colored ribbons for her type of cancer . It , in my opinion , is simply a matter of raising awareness . Nothing more and nothing less .
Regards, Wizzard
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- ' WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!! ' " - Author Unknown

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#15 Unread post by Mintbread »

Prostate cancer kills as many men as breast cancer kills women. But do you see pretty ribbons etc for them? Of course not. Womens health is infinitely more marketable than mens.

Secondly, survival rates for breast cancer are very high these days as opposed to other forms of cancer (I have lost my cousin and grandmother to non-Hodgkins lymphoma, my grandfather to lung cancer and my wife has lost her mother and grandmother to ovarian cancer).

Breast cancer "awareness" must rake in the $ so why stop now?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

zarakand
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#16 Unread post by zarakand »

Mintbread wrote:Prostate cancer kills as many men as breast cancer kills women. But do you see pretty ribbons etc for them? Of course not. Womens health is infinitely more marketable than mens.

Secondly, survival rates for breast cancer are very high these days as opposed to other forms of cancer (I have lost my cousin and grandmother to non-Hodgkins lymphoma, my grandfather to lung cancer and my wife has lost her mother and grandmother to ovarian cancer).

I think one of the big problems we have on going on these assumptions is the lack of financial statements to really break down where the money goes. I'm sure they're a matter of public record.
Honda Shadow Aero
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10329/]Chicago Bike Blog[/url]

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#17 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

support has more then one meaning, which is to say, that it is possible that they offer moral support and hope the troops will make it home safely, which is also a form of support, rather then doing something like donating money.
Thats true.
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#18 Unread post by Kal »

Mintbread wrote:Prostate cancer kills as many men as breast cancer kills women. But do you see pretty ribbons etc for them? Of course not. Womens health is infinitely more marketable than mens.

You don't hear about it much, but men get breast cancer too...
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#19 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

but no one has love for the man-boobies so it doesnt make the news.
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#20 Unread post by BuzZz »

HandsomeRyan wrote:but no one has love for the man-boobies so it doesnt make the news.
Unless they are your own man-boobies. :wink:

I once heard that the rate of breast cancer in men is higher than in women, but I have no idea if that's true or not.
No Witnesses.... :shifty: