Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Honda 919 to Get 998cc Engine for 2006?

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Honda 919 to Get 998cc Engine for 2006?

Rumors are swirling that Honda is about to up the ante in the naked bike category by fitting its CBR1000RR engine into the 919 chassis for 2006.

If it does so, Honda may end up with one of the quickest nakeds available. It will match the engine capacity of Yamaha's FZ1, but would likely be significantly lighter. If the Honda 919 does become the "Honda 998", expect an announcement in September.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

65hemi
Rookie
Rookie

New Honda 919

#2 Unread post by 65hemi »

I hope you're right. If they put a bigger engine in the 919 I'll buy one. I have been debating whether to get a 919 or the Yamaha FZ-1. The Yamaha has the edge on power, but the Honda is the better-handling bike. If they significantly up the power on the Honda it'll be a no-brainer.
Bill in Tulsa

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by TechTMW »

Hopefully the nakeds won't get into power wars like the repli-racers. The whole point of the naked bike was to get away from that kind of mentality.

But if it sells (re above post) then I guess it makes sense :laughing:
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

#4 Unread post by kabob983 »

I hope this isn't true. Not every bike needs to be a racer...
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

The 919 seems stuck in the strange class... 919cc isn't really enough to put it into the "big naked" or small enough to put it into the "middle weight" engine class. Honda does have a CB1300, but they most likely will not be importing it into North America (our loss).

Many owners of the 919 love their bikes but the 919 it seems isn't the stongest engine and they would like more. I think boosting it to just under or a tad above 1000cc would do the trick it really needs. I'm a 919 fan myself and would also like to see the chassis stretched a few inches for more leg room.

Mike.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#6 Unread post by TechTMW »

totalmotorcycle wrote: Honda does have a CB1300, but they most likely will not be importing it into North America (our loss).
Yes, it is. The CB1300 (to me) is the Ultimate Japanese bike. I would buy one while I'm here in Europe, but bringing it back to the stateswould be too expensive. :cry:
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”

MASHBY
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2012 Harley ElectraGlide

#7 Unread post by MASHBY »

TechBMW wrote:but bringing it back to the stateswould be too expensive. :cry:
Would the states even let you import it Matt.I thought the States import rules were tighter than Canada's.
Four Wheels Good Two Wheels Better

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#8 Unread post by TechTMW »

You can import any bike (or car) from Europe ... but it's a PIA. Basically, the bike has to conform to federal regulations (Usually this just means that you Have to get certain components swapped - like the headlight)

The easiest way to do this is to go through an importer who is approved by the federal government. ($$$$$)

Being a certified tech, I could modify my own bike to meet federal regs as long as I do the proper paperwork (time + $$$$$)

Now the real trick is what STATE you want to register the bike in. Kalifornia (uber alles) ... fuggedaboutit. you'd have to change virtually the entire bike out to meet california's mentally challenged standards. (Like swapping out the entire fuel injection and exhaust systems, in addition to adding California only emissions equipment)

If you are lucky enough to live in a state that doesn't give a krap what kind of death-spewing nastiness is coming out of your vehicle's tailpipe (like the southeastern states) its much much easier.

All of this is spectacularly stupid since New Euro emissions standards exceed that of the US. They should let us bring em in no questions asked. But it's not about the emissions anyway, It's about the money they make from tarriffs and whatnot.

My home of Record is Florida - so I could do this, but it's just not worth it. Especially since I can buy a Harley from the Military Exchange new car program for well under MSRP, not register it, take delivery in the states and then turn around and sell it in the states for MSRP or more. :wink:

Why lose money when you can make it ????

MASHBY
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2012 Harley ElectraGlide

#9 Unread post by MASHBY »

Thanks for that Matt interesting reading.Ive looked to importing cars into Canada.But unless it was officailly imported into the states or Canada you realy cant get it in.Unless its 15 years old then you can bring anything you like in.I might have look at bikes as i could make a bit of a profit and have some fun. :wink:
Four Wheels Good Two Wheels Better

65hemi
Rookie
Rookie

Honda 919

#10 Unread post by 65hemi »

And not every bike needs to be a dog, either. Motorcycles that are slower than my car don't interest me.

Bill
kabob983 wrote:I hope this isn't true. Not every bike needs to be a racer...
Bill in Tulsa