Honda 599 New to Now

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#51 Unread post by ZooTech »

Sevulturus wrote:I think you misunderstood the point of the post.
No, I'm aware of your safety-conscious, conservative ways. There's nothing wrong with that. But "power" seems to be a four-letter word around here, so it's nice to read about a real-world incident where it came in handy.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#52 Unread post by Sev »

*My Second Truck Story*

Last Tuesday (Oct 25) I was headed home from school. Bopping my way through downtown Edmonton. South on 101st street because it leads right into this really nice downhill through the river valley with the most corners you'll find on any road nearby, though it's far far to short. I always go the extra distance out of my way to go down 101st rather then 105th through the traffic just because the curves are worth it.

Anyways, like I said this was downtown Edmonton, by no means San Diego, New York or any other major major hub, but it is busy, there are a lot of closepacked cages and a ton of idiot pedestrians. So as is typical of my riding style I kept it about 10 under the speed limit, meaning I was doing at MOST 40km/h through stop and go traffic.

The road South has 3 lanes, one is technically a "parking lane" and the left lane fucntions as a dual purpose driving/turning lane. I was in the middle lane out in front of traffic a little ways. As I'm moving along I notice the giant black truck up ahead and to the left is starting to pull out. He made it out 1/4 of the way stopped, I saw him look back and he didn't move. The following things flashed through my mind.
1. Road is 3/4 clear
2. He stopped and looked back
3. He isn't moving
4. He saw me and is going to wait for me to pass

So I maintained speed, he waited another couple of seconds and pulled out. At this point I was close enough that I needed to take emergency action. Up on both sets of brakes, and a HEAVY horn. He stopped again when I did that and I saw him glance back. I came within 2 feet of bouncing off his bumper at that point.

Anyways he pulled forward and got back into the right to make his right turn, I cam up beside him and did what I call a stall... basically break almost to the point of stopping and maintain balance and look over to glare at him. I kept both hands on the bars at all times and I wear a fullface, so I cannot be said to have made any offensive gestures. That took maybe a second, but I got a good look at him, older guy, probably early 50's and gaining weight.

I got up to the front of my lane because it was now empty and stop at the red light. He is now three vehicles back and in the lane to my right. I rest my right hand on my right knee to maintain balance and look back at him once again making no gestures, but long enough for him to realize that it was him I was staring at. As traffic passes the two cars in front of him make their right turns and he pulls up beside me with his window rolled down. The following conversation took place.

"So what the hell is your problem?"
"You cut me off!"
"You shouldn't be going that fas..."

The light turned green at that point and deciding that not holding up traffic was more important then explaining what an idiot he had been I pulled slowly through the intersection and down through my twisties. But I found I was to aggravated to actually enjoy them.

Once again for the record I was travelling well under the speed limit, because I expect stuff like that to happen. And I'm on a bright yellow bike in a bright yellow helmet, it's not like a blend into the tarmac. And my friends wonder why I've taken up hating people in advance of meeting them....
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#53 Unread post by Sev »

Today is November 11th.

So I'd like to ask that anyone who is visiting my blog, or managed to force themselves to read there way to this post simply take the time to observe a moment of silence in respect of the brave people who gave their lives during the first and second world war. No matter what the date might currently be.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Thanks.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Balmy weather...

#54 Unread post by KarateChick »

Hey Sev - whatcha think of this crazy (but great!) balmy weather we've been getting? Sadly, I put away my bike during that cold spell last month but who knew November in Edm would hit the +10 to +15 C's with NO SNOW except the man-made stuff on those local ski hills.... I've noticed a lot of bikes back on the road for the last 2 weeks now. Oh well, live & learn...
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#55 Unread post by Sev »

LMAO, I'm one of those bikes out there. I managed to come down with the flu or a cold or something, and I still managed an hour long ride today. The 14 degree weather was wonderful, despite the rocks that everyone in front of me was kicking up. I caught a huge one across the knuckles on my right hand and all I can say is thank god for good gloves, cause even through them it REALLY hurt.

I'm so glad I didn't put the silly thing away completely all I did was stabilize the gas back in the cold snap. Glad I'm so lazy otherwise I would have blocked off the muffler and pulled the battery as well. Which I would have reversed by now. I figure I'll fill it up again tomorrow after school and then add a little more stabilizer... hey it says to run the stabilized gas through the carbs :D

And they said global warming was a bad thing. I can't wait to visit the rocky islands and bike along the coast of Alberta. It'd be crazy awsome to ride to the bike show in Jan.

Anyways, to any Edmonton area bikers that have their bikes out, drop me a line if you want someone to ride with :D

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#56 Unread post by BuzZz »

You got school on Friday?

I got the day off and it looks like that will be last ridable day for the year. But I will be home before dark, cause it gets freakin' crispy after the sun divebombs the horizon, and I ain't riding 120+ miles at (my) hiway speeds after O'Dark Thirty in November....
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#57 Unread post by Sev »

I'm meeting a friend for brekky, should be done by 10:00 when her class starts, and I don't particularly care if I miss stats. What were you thinking?

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#58 Unread post by Sev »

Time to get a Hugger:

So, for the last 3 months I've been scrubbing dirt, rocks, dried mud, grease, and anything else that I've ridden over (small children, household pets, cattle) out of my rear shock and off the undertray and muffler. Overall it's a pretty crappy proposition. Too much work, not enough riding. But there's a simple (hahaha) solution to all my problems. And no it isn't not running over little kids anymore. I'm going to buy and install a hugger.

My first problem is that my bike isn't really popular in North America, so not a lot of people are making stuff for it, but that's easy to overcome. E-bay to the proverbial rescue. After a couple of weeks of searching I manage to track down, bid on, and then win a Pyramid Plastics Hugger for the 04/05 Honda Hornet (European name for Honda 599). So I'm all set $100 for the plastic, $50 for the shipping (UGH!) but it's coming from overseas, so I'll take the hit.

Three to four weeks later the postman informed me via hanger on my door that there was a package availible for my pick up at the local post office. A big package, much to big to fit on the back of my bike. So I pop it open in the parking lot and haul out a hugger, mounting kit, couple of stickers, and the instructions. The little stuff goes in my pocket, the hugger itself gets bungeed to the back and I make my way home after throwing everything else in the garbage.

It's about 10:00pm by the time I get home so I toss everything in the corner and figure I'll deal with it in the morning. Bright and early I'm up and wheel my bike out onto the driveway. A quick look through the instructions indicates that I'm supposed to replace the chain guard on the left, and I slip a new mounting plate under the rear brake mount on the right side of the swing arm. Seems simple enough.

I popped the bolts off the brake mount and carefully lifted it up. I'm not completely sure how much messing about with the brake line I can do and not damage it, so I'm gentle with it. I slide the mount plate underneath the brake mount. And tighten down the back bolt then go to slide in the front one... darn! Okay, so the hole... is not where it is supposed to be. The holes in the swing arm are 1.5 inches apart. The holes on the mount plate are 2.5 inches apart.

Okay, I look a little closer at the packaging... 99-03 Hugger for Honda Hornet. Oh gee wiz, it's for the wrong year, they mailed me THE WRONG MODEL! Alright so, undo the bolt again and then replace the brake mount. I'm not really impressed. Wander(scramble) upstairs and double check the listing. Yup it says it's for the 04 model, they messed up.

Over the next 3 days I fired off 4 e-mails trying to get in touch with the seller. Turns out it was a weekend or some-such rubbish so they weren't checking the mail.

Now my only real problem was that the holes are in the wrong spots, it's a soft plate, I can drill a new one, and I said as much. As a way of making amends for shipping the wrong one they offered to refund the shipping cost. $50 back in my pocket eventually, if they actually send the check. Good enough, I guess. I don't want to go through the hassle of shipping it back, then waiting for a new one to come back.

So out comes the handy drill and I go to work. I need to offset the hole a little bit from the middle because the swingarm isn't straight, this would have been a lot easier if it was the 04 part. I mark the hole, find the right size drill bit and go to work. Dad offers helpful advice, "Why are you using a wood drill bit?"
"Probably because it's a metal drill bit... it came out of the set labelled metal-drill bits... see?"
"Oh, carry on then."

I got my hole made and it lines up just right.

You can see my new hole in the middle. Great job huh?? Stop laughing.

Okay, so undo the bolts for the brake line... again, I'm getting really good at this, I've only done it 4 or 5 times now. Weeee, now, I need to take off the chain guard. But if you refer to first pic you'll notice that one of the bolts holding it on is... you guessed it behind the strut that holds the passenger pegs, which means that has to come off to. But I'm a sneaky bastrd. I only took out one bolt, then loosed the other one so I could swing it down to attach.

Went something like this,
Mom: Be careful you're going to hit your knuckles if you do it like that
Me: I'll be okay
Mom: Are you Sure?
THUNK
Me: GOD DAMN that hurts, no
A little rubbing alcohol took care of the wounds sigh...

Anyways, I got it all lined up, the pieces tightened down and everything in place. I think it looks pretty good.

All in all it was more work then it should have been, but it's saved a lot of cleaning time, and I think it looks pretty slick. It mounts directly to the swing arm so it moves along with it, does a better job of blocking off the end of the chain so there's less splatter, AND it hasn't hit the tire yet. I've tested it. Tires deform at high speeds, but even doing 170 I haven't had any problems. All in all, totally worth it.
Last edited by Sev on Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#59 Unread post by BuzZz »

The hugger looks good Sev. Installation sounds like about normal for many aftermarket pieces. Maybe the Euro vs N.A. spec explains the difference.... I think the small relative size of many aftermarket manufactures leads to lots of oddball errors like you had. It costs alot to hire people to just accurately trace, track and list fitments. All part of the fun, right?
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#60 Unread post by Sev »

No I got sent 99-03 model instead of the 04 they had listed. Shop messed up, I wasn't happy.