Honda 599 New to Now

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#31 Unread post by Gadjet »

Sevulturus wrote:I thought that we saw 2 triumphs, one at Mcdicks and one at the first Tims?
Nope, Kawi's both
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#32 Unread post by Sev »

So, it's been a couple of weeks since I've posted here. Apparently I've been gone long enough to get a private message making sure that I haven't wrapped my bike around something large and immobile. If anyone was worried, lol yeah right, if anyone was worried no I have not hurt myself or the bike in any way. In fact I've put a couple thousand km on it, fitted a rear wheel hugger and a set of crash bobbins. She's looking slick. Though I'm still waiting for the windscreen I ordered back in June.

It wouldn't be a proper post without a story, so I'll try to get this one out.

I got the second weekend of August off work, which meant that I'd have pretty much nothing to do all weekend. Now family is important to me. The only way to know where you're going is to know where you've been. Knowing where you're coming from gives you solid ground to stand on, something concrete no matter what.

I planned a surprise. I prevailed upon my mom to make a call on Wednesday to Lloydminister and make sure that my Nana (mom's mom) would be around that coming weekend. Assured that yes there would be some one there upon my arrival, I set out Sat afternoon with a wonderful tailwind and a lot of clouds.

The road between Edmonton and Lloyd is pretty much a straight line, but there are a handful of really wide sweepers along the way. Nothing that great, or anything that even really requires countersteering, just shift your weight to one side or the other, physics will take care of the rest. With the wind at my back I made some pretty incredible time, cruising along at 140 without any real discomfort and saving a LOT of gas. 250km on 11 liters of fuel and I've been trying to get up on top of the powerband as much as possible while accelerating. At 7k rpm's the exhaust starts to sound really sweet though it never gets into that crazy loud scream that seems to be standard for sportbikes.

Anyways I was shooting down the road passing as necessary and generally having a blast both literally and figuratively when I noticed something large in the distance blowing across the road. But... it wasn't moving quite the right way, it was definately moving cross breeze, and bouncing. As I rapidly approached I made out the figure of a coyote meandering his way across the road. Some gentle braking and some not so gentle horn action convinced him that perhaps he was better off vacating the area. I brought myself back up to speed and didn't think much of it.

The day was... cold to say the least so I didn't see a lot of bikes on the road, I passed a couple of goldwings, waving to both of them. I don't know if they waved back, but I'm sure I got some comments about "those nuts on sportbikes."

I did find one big convoy of bikes that I fell in behind for a while. It was a whole bunch of guys on cruisers and pretty tatty leathers, all Harleys. I slowed to their speed and took up a far drag position, keeping myself well back so they wouldn't feel like I was crowding them, and hopefully wouldn't make them to uncomfortable aboutmy being there. I ended up following them for 15 or 20 minutes and giving my neck a little rest, even with the tailwind it's rough on the neck to go that fast. After I felt a little better I popped back into the fast lane and kicked it back up to my cruising speed it was then that I noticed that just about all of them had the "Hell's Angels" patch emblazoned across their jackets. Made me glad that I hadn't done anything stupid.

I pulled into a little truckstop/diner in Innisfree that sits up on top of a hill looking out over a lake and a generally picturesque landscape. I wished I'd remember to pack my camera. I got myself a cup of coffee and a piece of cherry pie. I've never had bad cherry pie, and I'm glad to say that this was even better then most. Well worth the stop. I got to sit and stare out over the hills with a nice warm cup of coffee and then watch the people watching my bike. I guess you don't see a lot like the hornet out there, but it certainly made an impression on some of the people walking by. I love that :D

After coffee I jumped back on and beat away the next 30 minutes to Lloyd with Sentenced pounding away in my headphones. I made it to Nana's safe and sound and pulled up along the gravel driveway and hoped off. Over to the door ding-dong. I can't accurately describe the look on her face when she saw me standing there helmet in hand and leathered from head to toe. But I will say that she looked down again and then back up, as if to make sure that I was actually there. Then opened the door.

"Come in, come in. What are you doing here?"
"Well, I had the weekend off, so I thought I'd come up and take you out for dinner."
"Well this is wonderful."

I got her to show me around her garden, which she'd just had landscaped. It used to have huge flower beds, but as the years wore on it became to much work for her to take care of, so most of it has been replaced with bushes and grass, something that's easier to keep up, but still looks really nice.

So we called for a cab (at her age riding a bike is not an option) especially since I'd left the spare helmet at home). And went out for dinner to Bob's Place. I know it sounds like a wierd name, but it's great food. I had delicious fish and chips. While she had strainer... sorry liver and bacon with onions. I hate the texture enough that I won't eat it, but she loves it. We talked about everything from the weather (it had started raining) to school coming up, and what she had planned for the next couple of weeks. Because the area that she lives in is essentially a town within a city she knew a lot of the people there, and is friends with the restaraunt owner. When I got back from the washroom I caught the tail end of her telling her friends that she had a grandson who rode his motorcycle up from Edmonton just to visit her. It makes you feel pretty good to be thought of that way.

After dinner we played cards for a while and then read our books. She went to bed and I watched TV. Got in an episode of OCC, which I thought was funny (I don't have cable) and some show where they rebuild classic cars. Then I woke up, and crawled to bed. I woke up on Sunday actually feeling rested for once. This is a rare thing for me. I have trouble sleeping more then 4 or 5 hours in a row, and what I get isn't usually all that restful, but I was out for 8 or 9. It was a good feeling. We sat and talked over breakfast and played another couple hands.

The rain stopped overnight so it was almost totally dry when I woke up. Which was perfect. Nana got rain for her garden, and I got dry roads for my trip back. Nana seemed a lot more excited that I was there on Sunday then on Sat, I think because at that point it had actually sunk in that I was there, not just a figment of her imagination. We played cards later then I intended, so I took off around 1:00 and stopped back at Innisfree for lunch, grilled cheese and fries, with a HUGE thing of gravy. And of course coffee, you cannot go on a long ride without a coffee at least once, at least in Alberta anyways.

I got to fight that tailwind, which had turned into a headwind. But maintained my standard speed. This pushed my milage pretty bad. 20km out of town I'd burned 14.5liters of fuel. Which doesn't sound like a lot until you realize it only took 11.4 to get there. I pulled over early because I didn't want to find out that I needed 17.3 liters and could only hold 17. Quick gas up at outrageous prices and I made it home.

Along the way I proved that I'm not always the quickest learner. Not having learned from scaring myself with the Hell's Angels I again fell in behind a slower moving bike to take a break. I feel more comfortable passing then being passed, so if I need to slow down for whatever I reason, I prefer to do it in a group. I fell in behind a big red goldwing and followed them at a safe distance, stagered position as usual. That lasted about 20 minutes then I was off again, but we waved at each other on the way by. So nothing bad came of it. Come to think of it, nothing bad came of following the Hell's Angels, not that I expect it would, I mean we're all bikers :D.

By the time I arrived home I was totally beat. Riding at that speed against heavy winds, in the cold with no windscreen is really draining. Though it's not something I would have passed up.

It's not every day that you can go for a ride to make someone else happy. But doing so sure made me feel good.
Last edited by Sev on Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#33 Unread post by cb360 »

Nice to see you again. And as always - a good story. You really do write a nice narrative - makes for easy reading.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#34 Unread post by Sev »

With my wrist having recovered from typing out the last story I think I'll throw out a warning to all those who wish to ride 2 up, and all those who are potential passengers on someones 2 wheeler. A bad passenger can make for a hellish trip.

Now, I'll freely admit that my first time as a passenger I probably wasn't all that great at it, but my uncle who took me out on his Goldwing laid out a couple of ground rules and common sense took care of the rest. I was 16 or so and scared stiff at the time, but his rules were easy to follow.
1) look over my inside shoulder when we turn
2) don't try to lean around the corners either with or against me
3) don't put your feet down when we stop, no matter what
4) what you do affects how the bike travels, try to move with me

This has become my codex for when I ride, with one small addendum
5) don't touch the damn muffler, it will burn you!

Well... two
6) if someone waves at us, you wave back, look like you're having fun

However, some people require slightly more instruction.

Travelling at high speeds with nothing put two wheels and a purely theoretically conceived notion of the physics involved coupled with faith in the drivers (riders?) skill can be a terrifying prospect I am sure. I mean there are so many things that could potentially go wrong you'd have to be crazy to not be even a little bit scared the first time you get on the back of someones bike. Especially if it is your very first time on a bike... With this in mind I adapt my riding style to make the risks seem... less risky. Lane changes involve no lean, acceleration is the same as the cars, and braking happens as early as possible etc etc take it easy. But, fear can make people do stupid things, and it affects everyone differently.

I'd been trying to convince a friend that yes, she probably should go for a ride with me one day. It'll be a lot of fun, or at the very least an experience you'll have for the rest of your life. However, she was carrying some baggage from her boyfriend who told her something along the lines of. "Why the hell would you want to do that? They tip and loose traction easily, they are difficult to control, more likely to be involved in a traffic accident, are more likely to be fatal, cannot travel under 10km/h without tipping over." and on and on and on. In short a careful mix of lies and truth designed to scare her away. Whatever, it's not essential to my personal wellbeing that she goes for a ride. So I let the matter drop.

Then one day out of pretty much no where I get asked if I would mind driving to the DMV and then the Uni for her. Sure, not a problem, but I've got no car, just the bike. Ooooo, tough choice, so we're off. I carefully explain the rules, and why we have the rules (all posted above) and state that we wouldn't be hitting the highway to start, we would take a couple of loops around the neighbourhood to get used to the idea of being on a bike in the first place.

Now, I should mention that this is not the first person I've had on the back of this bike, nor the second or even the third. But it is not a bike designed for passengers. Or if it is, it isn't designed for ones that aren't sure of what they are doing. The tail section is raised, a fair bit above the drivers seat which puts the center of balance a fair bit higher then it should be. The monoshock with raised tailsection essentially creates a springboard back there. Which comes up later :roll: Plus she's got a short wheel base, so it turns really easy... even if it's because someone is moving around or leaning a little to the side. I'm sure you can see the new rules being written as you read this.

So we gear up, fullfaces, leather jackets, gloves, jeans, we're both pretty armored, and feeling pretty confident. No, we didn't crash relax. Off we go, slowly around the neighbourhood, through a couple of playground zones so we get used to varried speeds and engine sounds. Then with no major problems we set out. Things were fine getting to the DMV, everyone was comfortable, or so I thought, and I was taking it really easy. Changing lanes was more difficult because I had to fight her desire to go in a straight line, however I didn't lean it over any like I usually do. We just sort of meandered over the line, then took up control position of the lane. Easy.

Upon arrival I was informed that passing was scary because changing lanes means we lean. A quick explanation of what I usually ride like coupled with looking at the small chicken strips along the sides of my back tired quickly calmed any concerns of problems coming up that way. I figure I've got about a half inch on either side that isn't used. Though I blame this on Alberta's roads and not my willingness to use it.

She took care of business inside and we set out again. Down the highway this time, at highway speeds. When trouble started. Thump, her head hits mine... fine, it's a helmet, she's not used to her head being three times the size. No worries, I was expecting to get clunked a couple of times. Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap on my right shoulder. Huh? Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap. I pull over. What?? I forgot to do up my helmet. WHAT?!! Okay, do it up, next time don't put on your glasses until you've put belted the helmet on (new rule). So carefully checking for any traffic coming up behind us journey onward.

So, the prospect of the ground whizzing past you at 100km/h with nothing to protect you but a little leather and a plastic bowl on your head can be enough to frighten anyone into motionlessness... my passenger was really still until, we came up on a red light and started the process of slowing down. At which point it became necessary to readjust our position on the passenger seat during which time I was slowing from 50-0 all while shouting sit still, you're shaking us. That's right I had a 120lb weight above and behind me shifting around. Now the bike and I together weigh 550 wet... if we're lucky. This is a pretty substantial weight to have moving from side to side. And suffice to say it was... unpleasant, but I got both feet down and no problem (new rule). A hurried conversation over my shoulder at the light informed her that this was not a good idea, as the slower we go the less stable we are. And shifting around doesn't make things any more stable, like you all know the passenger has a lot of control over how the bike handles.

So off we go again, same steady pace, and sedate riding things are going pretty well, until we get into the city and she starts to get bored. We stop and all of a sudden my back end starts bouncing up and down. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? Bounce bounce bounce. Look, no, you'll dump us if you keep that up. Please just try to sit still at the lights.
"But it's all springy."
"It's also going to dump us, which means I won't be happy if you keep that up."
"I'm just doing it to bug you a little."
"I'm worried about you getting hurt because you want to bug me."
"Okay, I'll stop.

Like I said, some people have wierd ways of dealing with fear. And fear has a nasty habit of over ruling common sense. I love to ride, and I like riding with a passenger... some of the time. But the rules definately have to be a little more complex then they were. Let my lesson be your lesson if you're planning something similar.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#35 Unread post by cb360 »

Damn. I'm sure she's a nice girl, but I'd put her on the bus next time.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

swatter555
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#36 Unread post by swatter555 »

Yep, one rule I figured out very quickly when I started taking my wife two-up was- No wiggling around when we are starting or stopping. Either you reposition yourself at speed, or preferably at a stop.

Im also trying to smooth out the ride in general, my V-Twin SV650 isnt the smoothest bike in the world. Although, Im suprised it handles so much weight so well. I weigh 230 and my wife 140 and the bike still effortlessly accelerates.

Hope we will see you around the forums more, Sev.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#37 Unread post by Sev »

I'll start by saying to anyone who is Canadian and happens to be reading this, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

And this... this has been the best thanksgiving I can remember. Epic one might even say.

It all started yesterday (sat) morning around 9:00 when I recieved a phone call from my best friend Russell. We're going to Stettler to meet his friend for lunch. She lives in Regina now, but came back for Thanksgiving and to go wedding dress shopping. Russell had arranged to bike 1/2 way so I was asked to oversee the operation of meeting in the middle (Stettler). Basically with temperatures being what they are he didn't really feel safe heading out on a solo ride. And me? Well I love putting KM's on the bike, so I couldn't not go! Besides Taren is a friend from a while back and it'd be nice to see her again. Plus we get to meet her Fiance :D

The basic plan was leave Sherwood Park at 9:30 and arrive at Stettler at 12:00 we'd grab a quick lunch and exchange some photos and then head back to Sherwood Park. Plans Change.

Anyways, 9:00 I get the phone call that says are you ready to go? I'm not, but I'm putting on my layers to do so. 2 pairs of socks, fleece lined jeans, chaps, 1 t-shirt, 1 long sleeved t-shirt, 1 windbreaker, 1 heavy hoody, 1 leather jacket, 2 pairs of gloves, a necky and my mp3 player. I also has some extra clothes in my tank bag.

The temperature was well lets be honest it was below freezing when I pulled out of my driveway but with all my layers it wasn't too cold riding through town to Russel's house, of course I was only doing 60, and it was stop and go traffic, soooooo what did I know.

9:30 and we're flying down highway 21 at 120km/h. Normally when I ride with Russel we do 110, cause his bike tops out at 120... but apparently he had it pinned the whole way. Half an hour into the ride I start to get cold. Really cold. REALLY REALLY COLD. Fourty Five minutes and I'm starting to consider turning around, this isn't worth it. At this point I start to notice something, I'm halucinating heat sources, the sun actually feels warm through all of my gear... at least where it's shining on me, but at that ambiant temperature coupled with that speed, any energy at all that hits me is going to dissapear into nothingness before I can possibly realize it's there. But I swear the sun was warm. That scared me more then a little. After an hour I stopped feeling cold, I was the cold, the cold was me. We were one and the same two entities inhabiting a single body, I can't explain it any better then that.

At this point we're about 12km out of Camrose (our first scheduled stop) and Russel starts pulling over. Typically Russel leads on our rides, because I have a bad habit of cruising at 140km/h. So he gets to set the pace. I think to myself, "Wonderful, he's cold too, lets stop and warm up." Nope, he's out of gas. 12km is long hike :D

I'll apologize in advance to everyone that knows this. I'm writing this post for multiple forums, and TMW is the only one that has any bikers on it. But all bikes, scooters included have what is called a reserve. Basically under normal use the bike pulls gas from the top XX liters of the tank, leaving the two liters in the bottem untouched. This is handy because 2 liters = 40km, usually enough to get to the next town and fill up. This is controlled by the petcock which can be found along the bottem left side of the tank.

So we pulled over and he switches to what he thinks is his reserve and spends 2 minutes trying to start it. I spend two minutes with my gloved hands clapped to the side of the engine, trying to restore feeling to my abused digits. At this point I pull up alongside him, and politely suggest that he turns it to reserve instead of off. Funny how things like that work.

We pull into Camrose and gas up and buy some batteries, meanwhile I'm sucking heat off the tank... sooooo cold. It's warmed up to about 4 degrees now, weeeeeee, still feels below zero while we're at speed. We'd considered stopping for a coffee, but decided we didn't have time.

A quick change to some heavier gloves and it's time to go again through Camrose on highway 13 to highway 56 which we take South to Stettler, those of you who have read my blog previously will realize that this is an exact copy of the route Whytegryphon and I took, the goodies never cease to amuse. I cannot say things were much warmer, but we did arrive safely in Stettler.

Now, it's abotu 15 minutes to noon, and we were supposed to meet in front of the Zellers. Stettler is a VERY small town, so we basically got on what I'd call mainstreet and rode from the East end to the West end. We saw EVERYTHING, BUT a Zeller's. We pulled into the very same Tim's that Whyte and I had visited so long ago and ask for directions.
"Is there a Zeller's in town?"
"No."
"uhhhhhh, WAS there a Zeller's in town?"
"yes, it's that empty building behind you."

So we got some coffee, called her cell and sat down to wait. Remember how we decided not to have coffee in Camrose because we didn't want to be late? Well we were 10 minutes early, and they were 5 minutes late. Ohhhhh how I missed that coffee.

Hurray, hugs all around, introductions and the works then to Smittys restaurant for lunch. Taren kindly bought for us because, "we rode all that way through the cold just to visit her." It took her and her fiance (BIG GUY) to keep us from paying our part of the bill. Apparently bikers aren't as scary as they used to be. At this point we're invited for Thanksgiving dinner at her mom's place in Consort.

For those of you not keeping track we're currently about 150km south of home, and Consort is another 150km East of Settler. Putting us 300 km away from home in temperatures that are flirting with freezing. But having gone this far we cannot not go further. We're going to be put up for the night, so we may as well go.

So we talk quickly with Brad who agrees to keep it under 120 for the duration of the ride so's we can keep pace. Apparently 100 on his speedo = 120 on ours, because he wasn't doin no 100. Chilled but not frozen we arrived in Consort for dinner, it's only 3:00 so we pull out the poker chips and play a free game. I quickly lost my shirt, but what else is new? Russel won of course. As the only one of us who actually plays more then once a year.

After losing at poker we pulled out monopoly (yeah, we're losers). But I was kicking "O Ring"! When we got close to supper time I owned everything from the first railroad to free park (1.5 sides) with hotels on everything. I was making a minimum of $500 per person per time around the track. At this point someone said, "I'm hungry lets call it a draw."
"WTF? No, I don't want to call it a draw, I'm winning!"

So it was a draw.

Dinner was not your traditional thanksgiving feast, we had fondue. Home raised angus steak (ohhh myyyyy GODDD! sooooooooooooo good), chicken, mixed veggies, cooked spring rolls, avacado dip, chocolate fondue with fruit. Everything was amazing. I managed to miss out on dessert by stuffing myself with steak and veggies. Really really good food.

I managed to lose $10 in poker afterwards, tried outlbuff Russ, turns out a King high (with nothing) beats the crap outta my Jack high (with nothing). All in is not a good idea when you're trying to bluff apparently. *roll eyes* at least I wasn't the first one out. We watched some football and everyone headed for bed. I lucked out and got a bed... well, technically I got a boxspring. No mattress. You learn to sleep with your weight evenly distributed, really tough, and requires you to be really tense all night. Not a LOT of fun, but fun non-the-less.

Breakfast was 3 cups of coffee and 1 peice of banana bread and around 10:30 we headed North on highway 41 to Whitefort? I dunno, the final target was Vermillion, we have another friend there and seeing as it's the same distance no matter what route we take, we may as well stop in and say "Merry Turkey Day." So we stopped for gas in whitefort? and carried on North. It was a lot warmer then the day before so we had a lot more fun. Plus there were some nice twisties and we got a couple of good passes in. The hills around there were REALLY pretty. I was thinking about stopping for a couple of pictures, but decided it was better to just push on.

We arrived in Vermillion and probably freaked out the neighbours. We rode up, rang the doorbell, tried the door, wandered around back, knocked on some windows, banged on some walls generally did our best to make it known we were there. Turns out she wasn't... no one was, so a note was left in her door letting her know that we were in the neighbourhood. Though we had to ride 200km to be in the neighbourhood. We're expecting an e-mail in a couple of days. Possibly with a heart attack attached.

From there it was a quick Jaunt to the West to get home and arrive safe and sound. I've left out a lot, but I ahve to say it was an absolutely amazing weekend, and I wouldn't have given it up for anything, despite nearly losing various body parts to extreme low temperatures.
Last edited by Sev on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#38 Unread post by BuzZz »

You little shiit, you rode right past me and never even called. Hell, I could have pulled your buddy along in my draft at 130 into Vermillion and saved you some time at least..... :wink:

Yeah, yeah, I know. You're still scared of the bike, bad lunatic with the purple bike....... :laughing:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#39 Unread post by Sev »

It's funny, with all the time we spend talking you've never once dropped your number...

Else you can bet we would have dropped by with a 6-pack in hand.

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#40 Unread post by BuzZz »

Well that's pisspoor plannin', innit? I thought I had.... no matter you'll have it next time. :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty: