Where to store registration and insurance papers

nrmower
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Where to store registration and insurance papers

#1 Unread post by nrmower »

I just got my first bike and am unsure where to store the registration and insurance papers. I have a Yamaha xj650 which has no type of compartments. What do people do? Thanks

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by jmillheiser »

I would probably keep in a wallet with your license, that way you never forget it.

Wizzard
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#3 Unread post by Wizzard »

We (Spousette & I) keep ours in a zip lock baggie with the air removed . She has a pop up seat with a small cubby hole above her battery and I keep mine in my tool pouch mounted to my front forks .

And welcome to the forums btw .
Kind regards, Wizzard
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- ' WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!! ' " - Author Unknown

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Mine is in the inside pocket of my riding jacket. If you only ever wear one helmet, you could keep it inside the helmet. My full face helmet had a liner that can lift and for a while I had the insurance under there. But then the weather got too hot for the full face so I had to put the insurance back in the inside pocket of my riding jacket.

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by TechTMW »

The xj650 Seca has a compartment between the seat and the rear light. Not surea bout the Maxim. The Seca also has a slot in the underside of the seat to store the Owners manual... You could put your stuff in a baggie (Like Wizz mantioned) and slide it in there. (The maxim should have at least this feature)
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#6 Unread post by Mintbread »

Why would you want to store them on the bike? If it gets stolen, so does all the paperwork to go with it.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by TechTMW »

It varies by state (In the US) but in some places operating a vehicle without 'proof' of insurance is a finable offense. Often it's enough to have copies on the bike (or your person) while the originals are stored safely at home.

Same deal w/ the registration paperwork. In the state of Georgia, for example, you could have been fined for operating a vehicle without proof of registration, and the state required you to keep the original registration document in the vehicle at all times.

In 200(3?) they computerized their system so that the police could pull up your reg. on a computer in the cop car ... so the state no longer required you to carry it. However, I lived on the georgia/south carolina border - where the south carolinians still required operators to have thir registrations ... therefore I still had to carry mine in the vehicle because I frequently travelled between states...

the short answer - Bureaucracy

:roll:
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

ejshotgun
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by ejshotgun »

I don't carry a wallet (money clip w/license&bank card). So I carry my insurance/registration in a small plastic (the size of a credit card) envelope I got from the insurance company in which I modified. Of course I carry this in my jacket or in my front pants pocket.
'77 KZ1000LTD

Riding again!!

JustJames
Legendary
Legendary

#9 Unread post by JustJames »

As of now they both are in my wallet, but I will for sure find somewhere on the bike to store these documents.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/hoonnirun/Element/element-sig.jpg[/img]

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#10 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

If you store that stuff on your bike, and the bike gets stolen, then the perp has all the info they need to appear 'legal'

I keep both tucked in my wallet, since I have 3 different riding jackets, and two pairs of pants that I wear.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul