what would you recommend for a first bike for me.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: what would you recommend for a first bike for me.

#11 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Have you taken a motorcycle safety course, or are you assuming your husband knows everything you need to be safe on the streets?

Not to badmouth your husband's capability or skills, but he can only teach you what he knows. And in reality, he may not even be aware of how much he doesn't know. As an instructor, I can't count the number of experienced riders I've taught, who were surprised at how much they learned in the BRC or ERC - courses taught via the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. In many states, completing the BRC gets you your "M" automatically. Without having to take your state's riding test.

As for first motorcycle, watch craigslist for what we call a "Universal Japanese Motorcycle" (UJM). Something in the 250 to 500 cc range. Around 300 lbs or so, with 50 hp or less. USED. So long as it will pass a safety inspection, don't worry about "someone elses problems". Consider it sort of a long term rental. The cost of it being the insurance and gasoline while you own and ride it. If you keep it in good shape, you can count on selling it for what you paid.

Fill in your state/city and you'll get some more geographically appropriate help.
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

jimbeemer
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 49
My Motorcycle: Motorcycle

#12 Unread post by jimbeemer »

Do they have the CBR250 in the States? It's nice. The Ninja 250's good too. Both have a lot of plastic to break when you fall off. Don't get a SV unless you're tall - they''re relatively top-heavy compared to the littl'uns (although they DO have ABS. How about a Suzuki GS500 - fairly low and slim, an old design (like the Ninja250) but a reasonable performer you won't get tired of right away.

chewy
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: ?

#13 Unread post by chewy »

in florida they require the safety course prior to the endorsement for the license, my husband also gave me all the books from when he took his course. I would just prefer to have the bike I am going to ride prior to taking the course so I can use it during the course. My husband feels that is the way to go. No sense in training on a cruiser when in reality I would never ride one. Thanks for all the suggestions I will be looking up the ones I wasn't aware of. :wink: Oh and by the way I ended up moving up to a 2 stroke 100 cc highly modified dirt bike quite a while ago... WOW that was a fun upgrade. but I really look forward to not having to watch for trees, wild dogs, stupid kids on 4 wheelers, and sugar sand... An entire world of other concerns and challenges to face. :D

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#14 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

The basic MSF course I took made us use their bikes. I think they want to limit the amount of power in the hands of beginners and work with machines that they know :) They had a couple of standards in the mix, too (think Honda Nighthawk).

The skills acquired in the beginner class are very basic. The little Kawasaki cruiser I had in class was a far cry from the nimble CB650 I had at the time - everything about my riding position was different. But, I went home, hopped on my bike and I did everything from class with no trouble at all. The only difference I really noticed was a shocking improvement in my riding skills. Relax, learn, and enjoy.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#15 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

I wouldn't worry about learning on something other than what you'll be riding. The course is hardly even long enough to get used to the bike. I rode a dirt bike for a summerbefore taking the course on a nighthawk 250. I've since ridden a ninja 650, cbr929rr, cbr1000rr, dr650, kx250, ttr125l, and a road king. The skills I learned at the course worked for each of those bikes. Though props to you for learning in the dirt. My "O Ring" has been saved countless times in situations where I could have lost it on the road, because I HAD lost it in the dirt, and knew what the wiggles, slides, and skids felt like. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best way to learn. Than you take the msf course to show you what you missed, and what skills need to be fixed and refined.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#16 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I would also recomend a 650 variant or a ex500 I would say the new Ninja 300 but that looks a little more like a race replica and may not be so beginer friendly but I am not sure. And please take the course as dirt bike and street riding are literally worlds apart.
there aint nothin like it