You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ THIS!

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

Re: You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ TH

#191 Unread post by Kal »

*sigh*

and under reasons I can't be arsed to post here anymore...

*head desk/interface*
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

Sniper308
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None

#192 Unread post by Sniper308 »

Just read everything on this post and it's definitely helpful. However, now I do not know what to do. I am new to riding and I want to purchase a dual purpose bike (Kawasaki KLR 650). Is this not a right bike for me. I don't want a dedicated street bike or a dedicated dirt bike. I also want a bike that will have a long range on a full tank of gas. What should I get. Is this bike too powerful for a beginner. Thanks for your input.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#193 Unread post by jstark47 »

Sniper308 wrote:I am new to riding and I want to purchase a dual purpose bike (Kawasaki KLR 650). Is this not a right bike for me. I don't want a dedicated street bike or a dedicated dirt bike. I also want a bike that will have a long range on a full tank of gas. What should I get. Is this bike too powerful for a beginner.
No, a KLR is not too powerful for a beginner, but it might be too tall. They are tall, tall bikes - 35 inch seat height. Unless you're very tall / long-legged, that's an additional complication to distract you when learning to ride.

This thread is about sport bikes with inline four cylinder, water-cooled engines that make over 100 horsepower. The KLR's single cylinder 650 cc engine does not make anywhere near that much horsepower. I think it makes about 40 hp.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#194 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I have not read all the posts here but I can only say I am tired seeing kids get picked up off the pavement and adults who bought these machines because they were only 600's!!!! These are Race Replica 130 hp+ machines not toys very capable of 160+mph with dragster HP to weight ratios!!!!! They are way more difficult to master then parallel or V twin machines with jerky powerbands and high rev power. Most guys I see end up getting on a highway and ripping cause it's all they can figure out. That is not riding any idiot can twist the wick and hold on and most can't figure the closure rates out and get in trouble anyway. I strongly urge those starting out to crawl before you run it is the natural proggression.
there aint nothin like it

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#195 Unread post by dr_bar »

squid is a squid is a squid... take the advice or leave it, at least I won't have to scrape the pavement...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

c0re
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: looking

#196 Unread post by c0re »

question, very possibly a stupid one. would you consider bikes like the fz6r, gsx650f, ninja 650 to be the sport 600's this article mentions? I mean I feel like this article is geared toward bikes like the r6, gsx 600r, cbr 600rr, ect.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#197 Unread post by Wrider »

Hey there, we consider the Ninja 650 to be a very grey area beginner's bike. If you have some experience riding on friends' bikes or on dirt, it might be ok for you.
The GSX650F and the FZ6R are slightly detuned versions of sportbike motors, and so we definitely don't recommend them as beginner bikes.

If you have no riding experience, under 50 HP, and under 50 TQ is generally what this forum's members recommend, mostly because between all of us we have hundreds of years worth of riding experience, and we all started somewhere. Most of us have ridden everything from 50cc scooters to hypersports, and everything in between, so we base it off of experience.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Islesfan91
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#198 Unread post by Islesfan91 »

my first bike is a ninja 650R. I had no motorcycle experience of any kind BUT I did take a course before getting on it and that experience was very valuable. It's been a great bike for me, but I also have respected the power it does have and don't ride past my own limits, which are well below the limits of the bike. It's a good beginners bike if you have the willpower to remember you are a beginner and do not ride past your limits.

if you're at all inclined to show off, speed or push the limits on the road, you'd be better learning on a smaller bike IMO.

I was not at all willing to look at a supersport as a first bike, and I'm not sure when I'd ever need one. My 650 is suiting me perfectly fine.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#199 Unread post by madjak30 »

Wrider is right...a good guideline is the 50/50 rule (Hp/Torque)...not really anything to do with the CCs of a bike...
the Ninja 650 is about 67Hp, the GSX650F is about 85Hp and the FZ6R is about 78Hp...

as for the motors on these bikes...the Ninja is it's own engine (shared with the naked version ER-6n...and with cam & flywheel changes, the Versys), the GSX650F is a tuned up version of the engine that was in the Bandit 650S, not a detuned supersport...the FZ6R is a re-tuned version of the FZ6 engine (more torque & less peak Hp), which itself was a detuned R6 engine...so kinda right there...all three of these are meant to be entry bikes for the sport class, not necessarily a beginner bike...but if you are determined to have a sport bike, these are the better/safer choices.

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

RosenRakuen
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2004 Triumph Daytona 600

#200 Unread post by RosenRakuen »

dr_bar wrote:squid is a squid is a squid... take the advice or leave it, at least I won't have to scrape the pavement...
Hear, hear. :lol:
"There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things. The trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly."