First Time motorcycle buyer, never even ridden one!

gasmileagekills
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: none

First Time motorcycle buyer, never even ridden one!

#1 Unread post by gasmileagekills »

I'm looking into getting my first motorcycle ever. I've never ridden one, but I've always wanted a bike since I was a kid. Plus, you can't beat the gas mileage. I'd need something that I could take on the highway to get to school. Does anybody have any suggestions for a starter bike with good mpg for my price range? (under 2 grand; college student lol)

I was initially looking into a '72 Honda scrambler but I don't know if that's what I need for highway...

any tips/help/suggestions appreciated!

Many thanks!!!

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Re: First Time motorcycle buyer, never even ridden one!

#2 Unread post by dr_bar »

Went to my local "craigslist and under motercycles for sale, I found several suitable bikes for under $2000. When I say suitable, I mean after you've taken a training course such as are offered by MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation.)

There was a 600cc Ninja, Honda VT500 Shadow, Suzuki 250 Marauder, just as examples. All three of those bikes are great for a starter bike. There was surprisingly a couple of bigger bikes as well.

So, go take a course then sit on every kinda of bike you can find, which means lots of fun hitting up every dealer showroom in town. then when you think you've found the style of bike you want, hit the local want ads/ craigslist/Kijiji, or whatever you use.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction... :kicking:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

:welcome: Harv to not only the best, friendlist motorcycle community around but also to the awesome world of motorcycling! WARNING: Once you ride, it gets in your blood and you'll be a changed man forever!

It's fine to look at bikes, but don't buy one until you do your MSF motorcycle safety course. The course will give you a huge head start in skills and you'll meet some new riders and it will help you decide if you want that 250cc or a 600cc and what style of bike.

There are lots of old $2k bikes out there and that's fine for your first one, just make sure it is as reliable as possible and if you can bring along an experienced rider (who works a little on bikes) to help you view it as well.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

gasmileagekills
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: none

#4 Unread post by gasmileagekills »

Thanks Guys! Yes, I will be taking to MSF safety course before I make any purchases of course haha.

So would I be jumping the gun by getting an old Honda scrambler ('68-'72)? I've seen them posted for about 1200-1800 and I think they look really cool, but I don't know how reliable they are or if they're good for freeway riding. Or am I better off just getting an entry level bike thats not so old? I just don't want to get something that I'm embarrassed to be on!

I will take a look at my friends bikes and see how I like them and do a few test drives from dealers in town as well (after i take the safety course that is).

I really hope I'm making sense, this is relatively new to me haha.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#5 Unread post by dr_bar »

Just think of parts availability. Not always easy to find parts let alone someone to work on it...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#6 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Hi Harv, welcome to TMW! :wave:

An old bike can be a thing of beauty but you definitely want to be able to work on it yourself or know someone who can. For example, in Calgary it's impossible to find a shop that will service or repair old bikes. That could put a person in a bind if they weren't prepared!

Good luck and have fun. Let us know how the course goes! :mrgreen:
Andrea :sun:

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#7 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

If you're not mechanically inclined, I would stay far away from older bikes. Personal experience speaking, here, and learning from my dad's garage full of dead bikes.

I got my hands on a lemon of an old Honda several years ago, and there wasn't enough sugar in my bank account to turn it into lemonade. Bought a spanking new bike shortly after. Also talked my dad into buying a new Harley, rather than yet another raggedy old bike. I think we both have saved a lot of money, overall, because of this. And Dad's wife is happy to have her garage back.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#8 Unread post by BobK »

Old motorcycles are best admired from a distance.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#9 Unread post by Johnj »

As a general rule most motorcycle dealers won't work on bikes that are 10 years old or more. There are a lot of independent shops that will.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Larry Culling
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Red 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

#10 Unread post by Larry Culling »

I had never rode a motorcycle untill two years ago. I took the course and feel it should be made manditory. I was offered a ride on a 2003 750 Honda shadow Spirit. My sister in law was debating about selling hers. After taking it out for an afternoon, I told her to make up her mind about selling it. I have had that bike for two years now and enjoy every minute of riding it. Last year I put on 12,000 km. Most of my riding is full day highway riding. Last summer 14 of us went from S ontario to Wellsboro PA. for the weekend. One day down, two days of solid riding down there and one day back to Ontario. That area is beautiful riding and the people down there are great. I find the 750 is a guttsy bike and lacks nothing on the highway, I found it an excellant first bike.

Trucker