tonyric
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '11 Victory Cross Country

Re: Cruisers/Tourers vs. Sport Tourers

#11 Unread post by tonyric »

I found a link in one of the blogs, (blues2cruise I think) that sent me to a site that showed, based on height, inseam and bike, the lean and if I remember correctly the C14 and FJR had me at about a 12 degree angle where the vstrom had me at about 17 degrees. <shrug> I could be remembering incorrectly. I can't sit on them right now, I am in Afghanistan. LOL This is why I am asking opinions.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#12 Unread post by jstark47 »

Trust me. I'm 6' 1". You don't lean over on a V-strom (unless you've got real short arms), you sit bolt upright. For a big guy, it's gotta be one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever experienced. Not saying it's a perfect bike, but riding position is darn near perfect. From sitting on Triumph Tigers (both 955's and 1050's) I can say the same goes for them.

ADV bikes are essentially big, roomy standards with extra suspension travel and a bit of weather protection.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

tonyric
Rookie
Rookie

#13 Unread post by tonyric »

jstark47 wrote:Trust me. I'm 6' 1". You don't lean over on a V-strom (unless you've got real short arms), you sit bolt upright. For a big guy, it's gotta be one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever experienced. Not saying it's a perfect bike, but riding position is darn near perfect. From sitting on Triumph Tigers (both 955's and 1050's) I can say the same goes for them.

ADV bikes are essentially big, roomy standards with extra suspension travel and a bit of weather protection.
\

I don't know what happened. I just went through my history and re-ran the numbers and it has me at a 5 degree lean. LOL I guess it is back to the drawing board for my list. HAHA

tonyric
Rookie
Rookie

#14 Unread post by tonyric »

AND The BMW F800ST is only about 13K LOL A LOT OF WORK AHEAD OF ME. LOL

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#15 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

That F800ST isn't a bad bike, and is pretty underrated, IMHO. The world needs more small, light, nimble sport tourers.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#16 Unread post by sapaul »

An idea of your riding style or expectation would also help. I love the 109 but I would prefer an 800 VFR over the same long distance.
I have a friend that has put over 90 000 kms on his BMW ST over 19 months, so bang for buck can't be too bad here.
As for the dualies. The Honda Transalp has plenty of punch and an armchair for a seat

Any Boxer motor would be the ideal, you just cannot beat them for longevity and long range lack of busting your balls.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

tonyric
Rookie
Rookie

#17 Unread post by tonyric »

I am not one that goes looking out for twisties to run them as quickly as I can, but I do enjoy them. I can (but don't like) eating up heavy miles on the highway but do use them when I need to get there as fast as possible. Basically, I enjoy just riding, but the style will change day to day I guess. I never thought of myself as a sportbike kind of person but the connie and fjr look so comfortable. :)

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#18 Unread post by sapaul »

Sounds like you are like most of us then,

You need more than one bike
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

curty39
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#19 Unread post by curty39 »

hey rookie, I totally feel for you. I currently own a c50 Suzuki and want to upgrade.... I like the cruiser style. But I am not totally turned off by the sport tourer. I am trying to narrow down a few bikes so I can make my decision. I am interested in the big cruisers... Go big or go home.. Like I said I am still open for other possibilities. 1800cc or bigger I have been eying up. triumph rocket 3 touring. Honda 1800vtx. Iam not real mechanical and want something that doesnt require alot of wrenching. H.D. out of the question, same with bmw. Iam looking for ideas, can anyone share?

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#20 Unread post by jstark47 »

curty39 wrote:I currently own a c50 Suzuki and want to upgrade.... I like the cruiser style. But I am not totally turned off by the sport tourer. I am trying to narrow down a few bikes so I can make my decision. I am interested in the big cruisers... Go big or go home.. Like I said I am still open for other possibilities. 1800cc or bigger I have been eying up.
OK, so what exactly does "upgrade" mean to you? What do you want more of? Power? Comfort? Touring capability? Handling ability, like to strafe the twisties? There's going to be different answers depending on what you want. Do you want a bigger cruiser? A power cruiser? A big touring cruiser? A sport-tourer - these are all very different types of bikes.

If you want a sport-tourer, forget about "1800cc"..... it doesn't exist, and you don't need it anyway. Current I4 sport-tourers are already insanely quicker than they have any need to be...... :devil:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S