Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: we'll see

Help needed on picking out a new bike!

#1 Unread post by iwannarideabike »

Hello,

I've always been interested in riding a motorcycle, and after having my first ride on one, which was a trip from Long Beach to San Diego, I've decided to commit to buying one for myself.

The bike was a Kawasaki KLR 650 (I think) and I liked the style of it. I like the idea of having a bike that is compatible for both the street and off-roading. I want a bike that is good for beginners but will still be enjoyable to keep after those first beginning stages of riding. Something that is good for traveling long distances. I've done some research and hear that the Yamaha XT600E is a great beginner's bike for dual purposes, so that is what I'm leaning towards. I'm also interested in the Yamaha Tricker, but am not sure if it's reliable enough for traveling long distances comfortably. I've also heard the Honda Rebel is a good beginner's bike.

What are your opinions? My first bike, suitable for the streets and off-roading, but not too big that it's hard to control. I'm about 5'6" and not afraid for a challenge :)

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Help needed on picking out a new bike!

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

I don't think the XT600E was sold in the USA? The two most common 600cc class dual sports are the KLR which you rode, and the Suzuki DR650SE. The problem with these bikes for a noob is they are awfully tall. Particularly for someone 5'6". My wife is 5'6", she used to have an '07 BMW G650X. When I rode up behind her at stops, I could almost see her trying to decide which side foot to put down.... there was no way she could get both feet down. She eventually got tired of dropping it and traded it in.

There are 200-250cc class dual sports around which may be a little less tall, but they're a bit freeway-challenged. All that said, dual sports have a lot to recommend them - forgiving power delivery, rugged, and much less prone to damage if dropped.

A Honda Rebel is a cruiser, a completely different kind of bike. They are a good first bike, but if you do a lot of freeway riding, you'll find yourself eventually wanting more motor. Still, an excellent starter.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

:spam: no more.
Last edited by Johnj on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

csspostal
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2012/Harley Davidson/ Iron 883 Ember Red

#4 Unread post by csspostal »

Johnj wrote::spam:
Cheesy Spam Rolls
Serves/Makes: 40 | Difficulty Level: 2 | Ready In: < 30 minutes

Ingredients:
2 packages (10-count size) small French rolls
2 cups shredded cheese* -- divided
2 cans (8 oz size) roasted garlic tomato sauce
1 medium onion -- chopped very fine
1 can (4.5 oz size) chopped ripe olives
4 hard-boiled eggs -- grated
1 can (12 oz size) Spam� luncheon meat -- finely diced

Directions:
* You can use monterey jack, cheddar or Velveeta.

Slice dinner rolls in half and hollow out centers slightly to make shallow bowls. Place the rolls on a baking sheet and bake at 350� F until they are crisp, about 5 minutes.

Reserve 1 cup cheese for topping. Combine the remaining cheese, tomato sauce, chopped onion, olives, grated eggs and diced Spam.

Spread the mixture on toasted rolls, covering well. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350� for about 10 minutes or until cheese melts and is bubbly.
RhadamYgg wrote:I must have a sign on me that says "Never mind, he doesn't need vasoline."