my rant about stupid magnet ribbons

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#21 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

The ribbon magnets dont really bother me, you know what I really can't stand, those family member stickers for the back window! You know there is a Dad, Mom, three little kids, a fish, a dog and a cat... :roll:

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#22 Unread post by CNF2002 »

I dont like those pink ribbons either. They do have blue ribbons for prostate cancer (a local grocery store sold them - pins not magnets) and I supported them each time, but alas it was only for a brief period. I have never, ever heard anything anywhere else for raising awareness of prostate cancer since.

Its a shame. Breast cancer survival rates are pretty good, and we spend more money on breast cancer research than any other cancer. Some companies have HUGE advertisements for this, selling shirts, underwear, trinkets, etc...anything with a pink ribbon on it. My guess is, someone is getting rich off selling these items (donating 'portions' of profits is always such a joke - and if you read their fine print they usually cap the limit of THAT too :roll: ).

I like the support our troops ribbons, really (but for gosh sake, please buy it more than once theres nothing more offensive than a Support Our Troops ribbon thats so faded you cant even read it anymore). It at least serves as a reminder to everyone else that our troops are over there. Im sure most of us barely think about it anymore.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

roxygrl
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: my rant about stupid magnet ribbons

#23 Unread post by roxygrl »

I just have to say something on this subject. I am a military wife. Most of my friends are either still active, or their spouses are. We all had support the troops magnetic ribbons on our vehicles. It was our way of reminding others that our loved ones who are brutally underpaid and underappreciated were out there, serving OUR country, keeping us all "free." People forget, especially when senseless wars drag on and on, therefore, I will continue to display my ribbon. I will continue to support our troops. I will continue to volunteer at the local base and work with young military families and try in every way to rally support even if it offends some of you that I have a magnetic ribbon on each one of my vehicles.

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

Re:

#24 Unread post by KingRobb »

CNF2002 wrote:I dont like those pink ribbons either. They do have blue ribbons for prostate cancer (a local grocery store sold them - pins not magnets) and I supported them each time, but alas it was only for a brief period. I have never, ever heard anything anywhere else for raising awareness of prostate cancer since.
Odd, I would think that ribbon would be brown. Sorry couldnt resist.
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#25 Unread post by dr_bar »

I'm proud to have a "I Support Our Troops" ribbon on the back of my Jimmy. My brother is in the Air Force, but it looks like his son may be posted to Afghanistan soon and whether or not there is a financial committment I still support his safe return...

As to Prostate cancer, blues2cruise and I just finished a fund raising ride, (The West Coast Ride To Live) for Prostate Cancer research and education, last weekend... There is also a walk/run for Prostate cancer on Father's Day. Then there's the "Under Wear Affair" a parade for awareness of all the below the belt cancers, male and female...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#26 Unread post by Gummiente »

As a retired soldier who served during the 80's and 90's when the military was at its peak (or trough, really) of contempt as viewed by the general public, I for one am happy to finally see some support and recognition for out troops. I personally have no issues with ribbon magnets on vehicles, be they in support of the troops, breast cancer or whatever.

Here's a gratuitous pic of the back end of my Road Glide...

EDIT: BTW, did anyone notice the OP posted this thread back in 2006?
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#27 Unread post by NorthernPete »

yeah, I support zombie threads....
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#28 Unread post by Wrider »

Do zombie threads nom on the active threads' brains?
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#29 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Ohhh, good question....research must be done......to garner finacial support, Im getting magnet ribbons made.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#30 Unread post by Gummiente »

NorthernPete wrote:Ohhh, good question....research must be done......to garner finacial support, Im getting magnet ribbons made.
I'll take a couple.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride