New Member from Manitoba

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#11 Unread post by Johnj »

High_Side wrote:Too bad Honda never evolved the design because these were excellent bikes.
Hmm let's see a, v motor, transmission under the crank, shaft drive with removable luggage. Kinda sounds like a ST to me.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#12 Unread post by High_Side »

Johnj wrote:
High_Side wrote:Too bad Honda never evolved the design because these were excellent bikes.
Hmm let's see a, v motor, transmission under the crank, shaft drive with removable luggage. Kinda sounds like a ST to me.
Yep, they're kinda close but completely different animals due to the extra 4 cylinders.

GLsouris
Rookie
Rookie

#13 Unread post by GLsouris »

You are right High_Side, the 650 has a lot more snap than the 500. I do wish we would have found a 500 in as good shape though, because our insurance in Manitoba take a big jump after 500cc. My wife has opted for the 500, because it just feels better to her. The 650 has a throttle lock, and I must get one for the 500, they are great.
Larry

kawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

#14 Unread post by kawgurl »

Hello Larry from Souris - welcome from a former neighbour Manitoban (Oak Lake - now in Alberta). Great looking older bike! My husband rides a Valkyrie and loves his Honda.
[b]~Robyn~[/b]
'09 Kawi Nomad 1700

[i]"Sometimes the best communication happens when you're on separate bikes."[/i] ~Author Unknown

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#15 Unread post by Amdonim »

I don't know anything about GWs that old, but is that a longitudinally mounted v-twin?

GLsouris
Rookie
Rookie

#16 Unread post by GLsouris »

It is called a transvers twin, and it is a Silverwing, not a Goldwing. Oak Lake is not that far away, and as a matter of fact, I grew up in Kemnay, between Oak Lake and Brandon.
Larry

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#17 Unread post by jstark47 »

Amdonim wrote:I don't know anything about GWs that old, but is that a longitudinally mounted v-twin?
Not a GW, a Silverwing....(back before a Silverwing was a scooter.) Yes, that's a longitudinal V-twin... like a mini-Moto Guzzi.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

kawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

#18 Unread post by kawgurl »

GLsouris wrote: Oak Lake is not that far away, and as a matter of fact, I grew up in Kemnay, between Oak Lake and Brandon.
Oh no kidding - Kemnay - I know it well...! Small world for sure. :D
[b]~Robyn~[/b]
'09 Kawi Nomad 1700

[i]"Sometimes the best communication happens when you're on separate bikes."[/i] ~Author Unknown