Ladies - Women's first bike choice

Thistleback
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Yes, I took the MSF course and passed

#171 Unread post by Thistleback »

[quote="MZ33"]Have you taken the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course yet?? There are usually 250cc bikes of several makes and models there, and if you are interested in riding a particular kind, they may be able to accomodate you. You could actually learn the basics on the kind of bike you are thinking about purchasing.
quote]

Yes, I took the course on a Rebel and passed. I have been shopping a little for a Virago 250 - I like the way it sits a little better. I'd also like to entertain the notion of a Honda Shadow Spirit though . . .

We got the scooters sold, so now I'm doing some serious shopping.

Paula
[b][size=117]Thistleback[/b][/size]

2005 Yamaha Zuma - Sold
2005 Yamaha Virago 250 - Sold

[img]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy330/thistleback/P1020009.jpg[/img]
[b][size=117]'Red Sonja' 1995 Yamaha Virago 750[/size][/b]

TinkTime00
Rookie
Rookie

#172 Unread post by TinkTime00 »

I'm a newbie rider. I've taken (and passed) my MSF course about a month ago and couldn't wait to get a bike. A cruiser isn't my style and I don't think I'm up for a sport bike yet. I liked the looks of a "standard" and I appreciated the up-right feel of it. I did a little research, mainly looking at what was for sale in the used department within my price range, and I did notice that a lot of the 250s were usually available (and often advertised as "great starter bikes").

I rode the Rebel during my course, but I didn't feel comfortable in the seat after 2 or 3 hours of riding. So, I knew I wouldn't enjoy it if I rode it for even longer. Our course had a few dirt bikes too, but I found those to be a little high for me. I'm a little over 5'7" w/ about a 31" inseam.

After looking around, I settled on a 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD. I was interesetd in the 750 too. And, even though I've only been licensened on it for under a month (and can only ride when the weekend comes) I've put close to 250 miles on it already! It's an amazing bike for me: it light enough to feel comfortable balancing and I can easily flat-foot it. Also, it's got a 6 speed transmission, so I feel a little better getting on the highway w/ it (although, I've only been on the highway for about 10 miles at a time). It'll even breeze past 70 mph w/o whining. And it's light enough to handle the counter-balancing of tight turns and u-turns.

Not saying that this bike is for everyone; it's just another opinion out there. Enjoy :)
"I find your ideas interesting and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter..."

Thistleback
Regular
Regular

Ladies - I Found my Virago!

#173 Unread post by Thistleback »

Found a Virago to bring home. Had it since last Thursday night. Had to make a 7-hour round trip after work to get it, but it's nice! It's a 2005 with !575 miles on it. A few small scratches, but really clean.

It's black - just like the picture I'm using for my avatar. Woo Hoo! I'm having fun! :roll2:
[b][size=117]Thistleback[/b][/size]

2005 Yamaha Zuma - Sold
2005 Yamaha Virago 250 - Sold

[img]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy330/thistleback/P1020009.jpg[/img]
[b][size=117]'Red Sonja' 1995 Yamaha Virago 750[/size][/b]

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#174 Unread post by MZ33 »

:happybikeday:
to you both!!
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Rachelleny
Rookie
Rookie

New to riding & a bit nervous...

#175 Unread post by Rachelleny »

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum (& motorcycling) but I didn't want to go to the newbie forum, as I'm looking for some female support.
I live in Manhattan- not exactly a great place to ride. Am 41 & have wanted a bike since I was about 24 but living in this city, not knowing anyone with a bike and being on the small side, I found excuses regarding why not to learn & get one.

But I've decided to embrace mid-life - I'm taking the MSF course in a month, getting my learner's permit this week or next & am already looking into bikes.

Here's where the support comes in... how difficult is it when you first learn to ride by yourself in one of the busiest cities - as I will need to in order to get out to the countryside... I'm most likely getting a 250, or if larger it will be a Buell Blast or Boulevard S40 as they are built small (I'm 5' & 115). I'll be a true weekend rider, as public transport is best in this city. Am I crazy to take this on by myself? Friends & family all think I'm crazy...

I'm really an independent, secure & confident person - but I've never even driven a stick shift car, or a moped & haven't driven a car in years... I know I can, I know I can...

Thanks for listening :)

Rachelle

TinkTime00
Rookie
Rookie

#176 Unread post by TinkTime00 »

First of all, I commend you for making the decision to learn to do something you've thought about. Good job.

As for riding in NYC, I've got mixed feelings about it. I've driven in the city a lot, but never on a bike. You'll be stopping and going a lot. (you know all about the traffic) and you'll likely be in 1st or 2nd gear for most of your activity in the city (maybe 3rd if you hit a break). So, unlike most people I've read about here who are interesting in larger CCs so they can get on the highway, for your city riding, I wouldn't worry as much.

But my advice is to try not to get rattled by all the people around you. I haven't been riding all too long, so I still know what it's like to ride around in a city and have the cars all over be impatient, weave A LOT, have taxis cutting you off, and dealing w/ many pedestrians and bicycles coming from every direction. It can seem overwhelming, esp. if you're concentrating on learning to ride, learning a new (or nused) bike, and dealing w/ the distractions all around.

However, I don't think you're crazy at all. I think it's great and I'm sure there are more than a few people in and around the NYC area who will ride with you (as soon as you're comfortable). Have fun, be safe, and ENJOY. :D
"I find your ideas interesting and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter..."

Rachelleny
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks TinkTime00

#177 Unread post by Rachelleny »

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. I don't plan on riding around the city - but just through it to get to the highway (thus the possibility of something slightly larger than 250). Two guys I work with have bikes - but both have them outside the city & both are over 6' & have been riding a long time. Some of their advice is based on their personal knowledge which is obviously different from mine...

Thus, hearing from someone like you is truly helpful!

redrider
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#178 Unread post by redrider »

Hiya, I'm new here. I'll be taking the motorcycle rider program class in the fall. Actually I'm on a waiting list--all the classes were full for the entire year--but hopefully I'll get in. :shock: I'm tall, 5'10", 138 pounds, and like the LOOKS of the cruisers. But I'm very open to getting whatever feels comfortable. I'll probably get a used first bike. I have an experienced male rider friend who'll help me choose my bike. He has a Honda sport bike (not sure of the model) as well as a Valkyrie cruiser. I'm thinking about looking at the Shadow Spirit 750. The bike will be my 40th birthday gift from my generous hubby (who doesn't ride... at least not yet :P ), which actually isn't for another 18 months. Anyway, I'll be sure to post what bike I decide on.

buellbabe
Rookie
Rookie

#179 Unread post by buellbabe »

Hiya, I have been a member for a while but due to various reasons (life too busy!) i haven't posted much...
Anyways a friend sent me a link to something on here and I thought it was about time I did some posting LOL.

First bike choice? I am 5'3" and I went from a trailbike straight onto a Harley. It comes down to what you are comfortable on, if it has good handling then weight shouldn't be an issue...until you drop it hahahahaha.
Which brings me to another point, I have a rule that if I can't pick it up then its too big for me...

Another rule is that if I can't touch at least one foot to the ground then its too tall for me...

My current ride is an X1 Buell. I have had it for almost 9 years now and absolutely love it. But it IS a tall bike and if it weren't for the fact that the seat has been greatly modified I wouldn't be able to touch the ground!

Someone made a comment about 2" making a lot of difference and that is soooooo true. Before I demo a bike I always check the specs to see what the seat height is LOL.

I don't really think that cc's come into it when picking a bike that you like, some people think that you are less likely to come to grief on a 250 than you are on a 600 but I totally disagree with that. There are some wickedly fast 250s out there!!!
Rider skill level is a BIG factor in choosing a bike and another point I would make is that its good to listen to other peoples advice but don't let yourself be talked into something that isn't right for you.

But how do you know if it IS the bike for you???

EASY! Take it for a demo ride and you will know!!! When I took my Buell for a demo ride I was really only riding it cos the HD I wanted wasn't available.
Well at the end of the day I asked if I could take it out again and the next time I rode it I bought it!!!!

It just felt so totally right :D
Live the Life you Love
Love the Life you Live

Harleybabe
Rookie
Rookie

#180 Unread post by Harleybabe »

Hi there.

I am new here and just looking through the topics and thought I would post. My first bike was a Honda 400, and until last Friday was still my current bike. I have had many comments from other riders that it was a great bike to learn on. Unfortunately that size bike is unavailable now. It was a great commuting bike, and could even keep up with the "Big Boy Bikes" on our highway rides.

I would recommend making sure you are comfortable when sitting on it, being able to reach handle bars with a slight bend in the elbow, and being able to be flat-footed when straddling it. Since I am a short rider, I opted for center controls rather than forward controls. The HD 883 and 1200 have the same feel as my old Honda, but with a little more power, and the Honda 750 is a nice starter bike too, if you like the cruiser style.

Just my 2 cents

HB
2008 HD Sportster 1200
1979 Honda CM400T