Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#11 Unread post by Johnj »

Choppers for the masses.

:frusty:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#12 Unread post by Social Distortion »

i like the Yamaha Raider
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#13 Unread post by HYPERR »

Social Distortion wrote:i like the Yamaha Raider
Not my kind of bike, but I would say the Raider is arguably the best looking cruiser on the market right now. It's actually quite awesome looking! :rocking:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#14 Unread post by HYPERR »

Johnj wrote:Choppers for the masses.

:frusty:

That's why the Softail is such an ingenious idea. :wink:
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

XB08
Legendary
Legendary

#15 Unread post by XB08 »

Ok now on the Fury , I got a dealer to let me test ride one,( was'nt not easy) . Well the handling wasn't bad for what it is. but this bike is built cheap. I has so much pastic. Dealers want $3,000. over list price. You could do better if you wait for a year for this one. For the money there are much better bikes out there. I think Honda is out of touch.

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#16 Unread post by Ryethil »

XB08 wrote:Ok now on the Fury , I got a dealer to let me test ride one,( was'nt not easy) . Well the handling wasn't bad for what it is. but this bike is built cheap. I has so much pastic. Dealers want $3,000. over list price. You could do better if you wait for a year for this one. For the money there are much better bikes out there. I think Honda is out of touch.
Same here. Big disapointment. Which is the reason I question Honda's policy of letting the marketing group call the shots. They took a concept and turned it into an appliance. They seem to have lost their focus on what a street "chopper" heart and soul is all about. Yes, it looks "tuff" but there's no spirit. And while I've heard how cr*ppy they were built, I wasn't prepared for the real thiing.

And the first Furies that the dealer will get in are sold. Also, I think they went for over MSRP. I just hope it doesn't turn people off to the whole concept of modified bikes. And I think that is the problem with the Fury. While it screams personalization and "freedom", it's just another mass produced concept bike and riders will have to adjust to it rather than a personal statement that speaks of the rider and his soul.

I still think the VTX1300 is a better bike and even in mass produced style, it is more individualistic and can easily modified to meet the riders expectations. :roll:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#17 Unread post by HYPERR »

Ryethil wrote:They took a concept and turned it into an appliance.
What does that mean when you call a bike an appliance? That it's reliable? Is it like the old joke where they called flaws character?
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#18 Unread post by Brackstone »

HYPERR wrote:
What does that mean when you call a bike an appliance? That it's reliable? Is it like the old joke where they called flaws character?
I believe what he is saying is that the bike has the frame of a chopper, but none of the personality.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#19 Unread post by Ryethil »

Brackstone wrote:
HYPERR wrote:
I believe what he is saying is that the bike has the frame of a chopper, but none of the personality.
Well, it's "she" not he but I'm use to it. I found a long time ago if you didn't speak up you would get talked over. And I guess that doesn't make me very feminine. Gee, wizz... :laughing:

Yes! Appliance means "No Soul". When I was a teenager, it was a nerdish term for something that has meaning to a special group of people and then is taken over by others and made very commercial. I heard something very similar having to do with motorcycles by my dad and his friends. Harleys and Brit bikes had a intergal connection between the rider and his motorcycle. Then the Japanese came in and had the material concept of what a motorcycle should do but couldn't understand the soulfull connection between the rider and his bike. So my father said it had all the soul of a Waring blender. Hence, appliance...

:shooting2:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#20 Unread post by HYPERR »

Ryethil wrote:I heard something very similar having to do with motorcycles by my dad and his friends. Harleys and Brit bikes had a intergal connection between the rider and his motorcycle. Then the Japanese came in and had the material concept of what a motorcycle should do but couldn't understand the soulfull connection between the rider and his bike. So my father said it had all the soul of a Waring blender. Hence, appliance...
You see, I don't buy that cr@p about certain brand of bike has this or certain genre of bikes has that, bullsh!t. Different bikes move different souls. There are people that are just as much as obsessed with their Kawasaki Triples as they are with their Toaster Airheads, Pan Dressers, CBX Sixes,Tridents, Water Buffalos, Kingpins, or V Maxs.
Arguably the most fun bike I have ever owned is my Honda CBR600RR. It never fails to bring a smile to my face and always remind me why I ride. I would assume you would file the CBR under your "appliance" category because it is not the type of bike you like and it is virtually flawless in every way.
One cannot explain to someone else why certain bikes or cars bring a smile to their face and other's don't. The bike that turns you on or your father's may not be the bike that turns on your next door neighbor. That's what makes the world go around. Just because it doesn't turn you on or your father or you father's friends, doesn't not mean that it doesn't for someone else.
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS