Sportster 1200C vs. Honda VTX 1300

Wordherder
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Harley 2009 Superglide

#11 Unread post by Wordherder »

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the input. I plan to rent the 1200 on Friday and take her for a day-long spin. If rubber-mounted Milwaukee iron & the trade-in don't win me over, I'll head 15 minutes up the road and buy the Honda.
Harley Superglide Custom
Born to be ... Courteously deferential. If that 's OK with you.

NewGuy
Elite
Elite

#12 Unread post by NewGuy »

For me the EFI, belt drive, and lighter weight of the Sportster would win me over. Also, you'll get better resale value out of the Sportster.

As for reliability, I think it's a toss up. The stories of unreliable H-D motorcycles haven't been true for more than a decade. H-D made a serious effort to turn things around after the AMF years.

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#13 Unread post by Amdonim »

Disclaimer: I don't own a VTX, but my dad has one (1300). If you like twisties, I honestly wouldn't recommend the VTX. I've ridden the VTX a few times, and it doesn't have very impressive lean clearance. I remember scraping the floorboards over and over doing stuff I normally do on my Sabre. However, if you plan to do a lot of trips (of more than a few hundred miles) I'd say the VTX is great. The engine is smooth and composed up to 100mph (maybe higher, that's as fast as I took it.), and it's low ride height and c.o.g mean it's very stable at those speeds.

Wordherder
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Harley 2009 Superglide

#14 Unread post by Wordherder »

Final report:

We rented a 1200 (me) and an 883 (her) and were most impressed. For example, I cranked the bike down Rt. 83 and opened her up and could not find the top end in the two miles before I had to slow down for the stop light at North Ave. Most impressive.

The missus loved the 883, except the rental was a little too tall for her (she's 5'3"). The dealer says they can lower the shocks and seat so she can comfortably flat-floot at 1200. We'll see next year!

My take on the Harley-Davidson 1200 vs. the Suzuki Intruder (S50) 805cc was that the HD out-accelerated the Zook on the top end. Up to 50 mph, acceleration was the same. By 70 mph, the Suzuki was pretty much wound out, but the HD was still accelerating briskly.

On the other hand, the Sportster just didn't feel like that big an upgrade from the Suzuki S50. The acceleration was comparable. The top end was WAY higher, but now often do we sustain above 65 mph, really?

When we got back to the dealer, I ended up sitting on the Superglide, and *click*! It felt like home. A big Barcalounger seat and a huge '69 Impala speedometer built into the tank felt like home. Combined withe the heft and ... well, the patented H-D "potato potato" sound won me over.

I ended up buying the Dyna Superglide Custom, which is probably exactly what they hoped I would do. I'd confess to feeling like a Harley sucker except I freakin' love the bike!
Harley Superglide Custom
Born to be ... Courteously deferential. If that 's OK with you.

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#15 Unread post by Ryethil »

Wordherder wrote:Final report:

Snip

When we got back to the dealer, I ended up sitting on the Superglide, and *click*! It felt like home. A big Barcalounger seat and a huge '69 Impala speedometer built into the tank felt like home. Combined withe the heft and ... well, the patented H-D "potato potato" sound won me over.

I ended up buying the Dyna Superglide Custom, which is probably exactly what they hoped I would do. I'd confess to feeling like a Harley sucker except I freakin' love the bike!
I have a customized XL1200C and aleady know my next bike will probably be a Street Bob. I think you did the best thing. A Big Twin is just a better, more comfortable bike all the way round. Every big Harley that I've rode has had a personality all its own and isn't just an appliance. And when you stop, everyone around you will know you have a Harley.

I love all Harleys but I'm a bit small for a lot of them. I think that your wife would love the XL1200C and yes they can lower it. I think that most women can handle the extra omph of the larger Sportster and will be more happier in the long run. And the 1200 is actually safer because it has more "go" when you twist the throttle which means you can drive out of dangerous situations better.

Anyway, I hope this helps. :chopper:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

bsa_bob
Rookie
Rookie

hd vs vtx

#16 Unread post by bsa_bob »

I am a senior , now i have a honda ACE, it runs quiet and smooth, does everything a person could want,and i rode a xl the other day, i couldn't ride very far, and i was warned, that the harleys are not the same bike as the honda,if your riding on rural roads, and sight seeing the harley will wear you out long before the vtx will jmo :D

Schlepstream
Rookie
Rookie

#17 Unread post by Schlepstream »

Good choice. I ride an '07 1200C with SEII muffs. on it and it sounds sick! My buddy rides an '07 Super Glide with drag pipes on it and it sounds sick! My 1200 runs circles around his bike. His bike is waaayyy more comfy on the hiway. You made a good choice. Life ain't a drag race, and Harleys ain't the fastest bikes around anyway. :wink:
Yaddi, yaddi, yadda!

rocktucker
Rookie
Rookie

sportster vs vtx

#18 Unread post by rocktucker »

on its worst day the vtx 1300 will out run , out ride , out handle and out last the sportster on it's best day !

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

Re: sportster vs vtx

#19 Unread post by Ryethil »

rocktucker wrote:on its worst day the vtx 1300 will out run , out ride , out handle and out last the sportster on it's best day !
Just a question... Are you tryng to start a flame war?

It's obvious that you haven't rode a Sportster lately. I can't say that my bike will beat your bike because mine has been breathed on rather heavily. But a stock Sportster regularly beats the VTX 1300 esp. if it's from a rolling start.

I don't have anythiing against Hondas esp. VTX 1300s. I suggest them regularly to people who want to move up from a smaller bike or want to learn on something they won't grow tired on in a few months. The VTX 1300 has a lot of advantages like shaft drive and water cooling which require less maintiance and so on. However, speed isn't its forte. It's just a great medium cruiser.

The Harley on the other hand is actually fairly fast for its type of bike. It has a lot of torque to go with its horsepower. It's lighter and I find them more comfortable and quicker handleing. And there is something visceral
about riding a Harley be it a Big Twin or a Sportster. I've never had the same experiences from riding a rice cruiser. And now that Harleys are as reliable as a hammer, there is actually no reason I would rather ride anything but a Harley.

Actually, I like the fact that there are so many different types of bikes out there. While Honda and others are like appliances because they have to appeal to the largest market share possible. Harleys can just get in your face and say ride me damn it. And you'll have the best time possible and still be on a motorcycle.

:rockon:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

redwing
Elite
Elite

#20 Unread post by redwing »

Hi Wordherder... I recall reading on a forum somewhere about buying boots with a really thick sole to add a little length to the legs. An edge. My boots add perhaps half an inch to my heigth. Buy the bike you like and enjoy the ride.
Robert
2008 BMW R1200R and is it sweet...