How do you keep your mind from running of on all day rides.

MTNMAN800
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by MTNMAN800 »

I have often wanted to try the Ipod under the helmet but have been too afraid that it would be a distraction. Most of my rides are short but I will have to try that on my next longer ride.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: How do you keep your mind from running of on all day rid

#12 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Amdonim wrote:How do you guys keep busy on long rides?
I sometimes practice swerving; I pick a clear mark on the road, pretend it's a pothole, rock, animal, whatever, and swerve around it. As an additional benefit, I'd like to think the sudden movement freaks out nearby cagers, though I truly doubt that they're even noticing.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#13 Unread post by Johnj »

I think about stuff.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

wrecks
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: two wheeled vehicle

#14 Unread post by wrecks »

Has anyone here tried listening to music in their lid? Is it dangerously distracting? I've always been kind of afraid to try it.
I listen to my ipod. I don't find it distracting but I do suggest newbie riders not do it until they get more seat time. If you're the kind of person who cannot multi-task I suggest not listening to music too. Also, listening to the music at a low enough level to hear horns, sirens, street noises, etc. should be done. You also have to be mature enough to know when "Metallica" or whatever your favorite song comes on you don't go pretending you're Rossi on the street. :D
cag 50cc (pit bike)
91 Ninja 250 (sold)
2k6 GSXR 600 (taken out by cager)
2k6 XT 225
2k8 CBR 1000rr
2k9 DRZ 400sm

duosonic
Rookie
Rookie

#15 Unread post by duosonic »

I love to let my mind wander. I think it is one of the joys of riding. I used to listen to my iPod when first I started riding a few years ago but it became more of an annoyance to me. Whenever people tried to say something to me at a stop, I had to pull out my earbuds and re-listen to whatever they tried to say and then try to weasel my earbuds back into the helmet before I held up traffic or just ignore the person all together, which is just kinda rude. I also dropped my iPod Nano off my bike while going 50 mph and almost left it for dead but turned around to get it and it was still playing.

Now-a-days, I love to listen to the traffic, to the wind, the sounds of construction sites, the sounds the tires make at high speeds on the freeways when they hit those weird little rivets. I like to hear what bits of music are coming out of people's open car windows and hear catch people when they laugh.

And I especially like to be able to hear when an emergency vehicle cry of caution is coming up on me fast, telling me to get the hell out of their way.

duosonic
Rookie
Rookie

#16 Unread post by duosonic »

Grey Thumper wrote:
I sometimes practice swerving; I pick a clear mark on the road, pretend it's a pothole, rock, animal, whatever, and swerve around it. As an additional benefit, I'd like to think the sudden movement freaks out nearby cagers, though I truly doubt that they're even noticing.
Ha! This is one of my favorite things to do, too. I add scenarios, though. Instead of thinking of the pothole as a pothole, I think "Holy crap! Someone just put a road barrel in front of me!" (or a baby stroller) and then swerve with all the zest of someone who's about to hit a road barrel. All of my imaginations come complete with sounds effects. Sometimes I even throw in an impromptu soundtrack. :D

On long stretches of road I like to see how many ways I can lay on my bike or how many ways I can switch up my position. I enjoy feeling the difference in balance on the bike and the difference in it's response.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#17 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

duosonic wrote:
Grey Thumper wrote:
Ha! This is one of my favorite things to do, too. I add scenarios, though. Instead of thinking of the pothole as a pothole, I think "Holy "crumb"! Someone just put a road barrel in front of me!" (or a baby stroller) and then swerve with all the zest of someone who's about to hit a road barrel. All of my imaginations come complete with sounds effects. Sometimes I even throw in an impromptu soundtrack. :D
:laughing: I should use my imagination a bit more then; on the next freeway ride, I'll be dodging wrecked Decepticon debris.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."