How do you keep your mind from running of on all day rides.

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

How do you keep your mind from running of on all day rides.

#1 Unread post by Amdonim »

I recently picked my bike up in Alabama to take it to Houston for the summer. Just as I remembered, spending all day in traffic on I-10 is about as much fun as a colonoscopy, if only slightly more lucid. I found I'd find my mind wandering from boredom, so I decided to keep myself busy and focused on traffic by trying to profile all the drivers around me.

On a side note, I did see some ridiculous "poo poo". My two favorites where getting nailed with a cigarette, and a lady I saw trying to hold on a conversation with the next car over, through her window. She stopped after crossing the shoulder and dropping her tires into the grass.

How do you guys keep busy on long rides?

edit: Has anyone here tried listening to music in their lid? Is it dangerously distracting? I've always been kind of afraid to try it.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#2 Unread post by Brackstone »

Honestly my mind floats, but as an instinct I always notice danger and react to it accordingly.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#3 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I listen to music while riding. I can't imagine a day long ride without it! I personally don't find it distracting but I don't leave it up too loud, and try not to play megadeath when I'm in traffic :twisted:

Other than that I try to ride the "invisible roads" or the backways where the are typically few if any lines, little to no traffic and plenty of enjoyment. But I always pack a few extra hours into my long rides
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#4 Unread post by Gummiente »

I've always had the voices in my head keeping me company on long rides. Now that I have a bike with a stereo, we all sing along to the music and everyone is happy.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

king robb
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by king robb »

that "mind wandering" is part of the zen perfection of riding. Its great when I realize I have been on auto pilot for a half hour or so...the eyes body and mind do their job, and I sort out life....its really why I love this game.
2 wheels on the ground

Gmoto
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by Gmoto »

I like to listen to music too. its keeps me from going insane and trying to do things i shouldn't be doing cuz im bored. :wink:
Don't look back

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#7 Unread post by BuzZz »

I just found a pair of earbuds that fit under my helmet and don't hurt, so I've been listening to music while riding for the first time ever. I've tried it with other ear pieces but they always either hurt or I couldn't get the lid on over them while keeping them in place.

I like it. Lots. Music while riding rocks.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#8 Unread post by Amdonim »

I recently found a pair of earbuds that I like (the kind with isolating foam ear plugs) that im hoping will also cut down on wind noise. I also found I can pivot the cheek pads on my lid long enough to get it on without knocking the buds out. Now I just have to find a portable music player and I think I'll try this out.

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#9 Unread post by dean owens »

i've found some ear buds at target that have a little "amp" on them that helps to cancel noise. for $20.00 they work very well. i'm able to put the volume to what it would be if i were just walking around listening to my ipod and ride. it let's me hear the music and keeps the wind noise down just as if i were wearing earplugs.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

kawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by kawgurl »

I am usually plugged into my MP3 player when I'm riding on the highway. :music: I do tend to turn it down or completely off when in heavy traffic or the city just as a precaution. I use small soft ear buds that I love and clip the player to my jacket where I have quick and easy access to the volume control and on/off switch.

But....there are those days the wind and the rumble of the pipes are the only thing my soul requires...... :)
[b]~Robyn~[/b]
'09 Kawi Nomad 1700

[i]"Sometimes the best communication happens when you're on separate bikes."[/i] ~Author Unknown