Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

My brother and a deer

#1 Unread post by Johnj »

My brother Jim call a little bit ago. He and his wife Lindy were about two miles north of Maitland when they hit a deer. Jim broke a leg and dislocated a ankle and Lindy has shoulder pain (Jim hasn't seen her since he got to the hospital in St Joseph) but has heard she will be ok. The accident occurred about an hour after sundown as they were heading home from a day riding.

If you ride in rural areas be aware that deer move around a lot,at dusk and dawn, in the fall and early winter.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

This your evil twin?

Glad to hear they are both relatively okay. A broken leg is a real bummer. Did he say how long he is down for?
Always ask why.

Johnj

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

No, it's my older brother and his wife. Here we are at a little restaurant in eastern CA during our trip to the bay area in late spring of 08.

People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Top Gear Motorcycle
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by Top Gear Motorcycle »

Any updates on your brother and his wife?

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I hope they have recovered. :)

Johnj

#6 Unread post by Johnj »

Both are on the mend, the bike is being repaired, and they may upgrade to full-face helmets. I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

Whitetiger018
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by Whitetiger018 »

Glad to hear your brother is going to be ok. Full face helmet thats all I wear. Even when in states that their is no helmet law. Because if I do get taken out (by 1 of 100,000 idiots that doesn't look out for Bikes) atleast I'll be a good looking corpse. Well ok good looking in my own mine LOL
I own a 2000 VT1100 Honda Shadow
I Ride with the Patriot Guard Riders

washoutinc
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by washoutinc »

That's crazy and yeah I hope they are ok and get well real fast.

That happened to one of my buddies when he was riding at night. Wrecked on a rural road from deer.
(no commerical links in sig, thanks)

Johnj

#9 Unread post by Johnj »

Now for an update, brother Jim has had a setback with his left heel. It was crushed back in the 70's when he was in the Marines and was set badly. They had to break it again after he got back to "the world" and was a major reason for his medical discharge and disability. He wouldn't give me any details so I probably need to go visit. His wife Lindy has recovered completely, and I haven't even asked about his bike.

motocraze
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by motocraze »

Hope they both are fine now! Do ask them to be more careful the next time. These animals never stay off road, we are the ones who need to open our eyes widely while driving.