Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#91 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

What's up with the "laying down"?

Went for a group ride last weekend and had two more bikes go down. The first got cut off by another rider at an intersection (cut off by his son no less) and spiked his front brake causing him to lay over. He tried to hold it up but, didn't have the strength. It was too far over. Just hurt his pride and a minor scratch on the engine guard and mirror. The second bike was a brand new, less than 200 miles on it, Streetglide. Husband and wife were riding two-up. We were in a parking lot getting ready to leave and all of a sudden they were down. We think he may have leaned to sharply and caught the running board. Again, nobody hurt and only minor damage.

It's just starting to freak me out! The last 3 group rides someone has gone down. Told the group I'm going to quit carrying my first aid kit since that's when the mishaps starting happening. :laughing:

I've also decided to buy a pair of chaps for a couple reasons. First, to fit in. Even the "Wingers" in my group wear them... :lol: Second, to keep me dryer. My rain pants soaked through during a long ride a couple weeks ago so, I went out and bought a new pair. I should have bought motorcycle specific. These were more like golf windbreaker type things. They're worse than my old ones. They soaked through faster and all over instead of just the legs. The new ones soaked through the butt and crotch area. The ride is no longer fun when "the boys" are cold and wet. :laugh5:

Planning on attending a bike night on Thursday and maybe doing a dice run on Sunday. Never been to either so, it should be interesting. I'll try and take pics at the bike night. Not sure I'm going to bike night. It'll depend on how long my wife wants to drive around in her new car.

We bought a 2007 Dodge Caliber and we're picking it up Thursday morning. Here's what it'll look like....

We got the R/T AWD with heated seats, daytime running lights, driver convenience group that includes tire pressure monitor, a trailer hitch and the fancier wheels (just because the one they found has them).

Have Fun and Stay Safe Out There!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Bike Night Pics

#92 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Here's a link to pics from Bike Night at Quaker Steak & Lube in Erie PA;

Bike Night Pics

Hope you enjoy. Mostly cruisers of course. A couple trikes and a few sportbikes. A group of sporties pulled in just as we were pulling out so, I didn't have time to get pics of them. One was a Triumph and one was covered in leapard skin cloth of some kind. A couple other interesting bikes I do have pics of are a Royal Enfield and a Triumph Bonneville.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Vacation

#93 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

My wife and I just returned from a very relaxing vacation in Kentucky. Didn't ride unfortunately but, the new cage was very comfortable. We were there for our friend's wedding.

Some really nice looking roads for riding in the Louisville area. 31E and 49 would definitely rock!

Thursday; We arrived in Bardstown, KY. It was a neat town to stay in. Lots of history if you're into that kind of thing (It's the second oldest town in KY.) including four museums; Civil War Museum focussing on the Western battles, Women of the Civil War Museum, Old Bardstown was a group of cabins rebuilt using original logs from the frontier town and a Wild Life Museum.

The day was spent drinking, going to dinner with the other guests that had arrived, watching the groom almost get arrested and more drinking.

Friday; We spent the morning relaxing before heading to the airport to pick up a couple more friends. We then headed to Lorretto for the rehearsal.

The ceremony is taking place at the Makers Mark Distillary in Lorretto, KY. Awesome place to tour. And, of course, I brought home some tastey souveniers.

After rehearsal, we headed to Churchhill Downs where they have the Kentucky Derby. It was a lot of fun. We spent a few hours betting on horse races and enjoying the company. Unfortunately, I managed to spill mustard on my shirt and we were headed for the rehearsal dinner when we left. So, I bought a new polo shirt for $50. Ended up being an expensive hotdog... *lol*

Next came "4th Street Live" where the bride and groom both work for the rehearsal dinner. WOW! Definitely head there for some great night life partying. Be sure to bring lots of money or credit though. Food and Drink was a bit expensive for this country boy's wallet. This place is just crazy. It's an area blocked off for street parties. It has shops, bars, restaurants, street artists and special events. You can take your drinks from place to place. Another great time spent eating and drinking with friends.

Saturday; We spent Saturday morning relaxing and touring the town. Unfortunately, the Dinner Train wasn't open. Had all day to play since the wedding wasn't until 6pm.

The Ceremony was beautiful. It was outside one of the Makers Mark buildings with lots of trees and a creek, etc.

The Reception was held in the yard of the original Makers Mark homestead. The party lasted until after midnight. After the reception, we all headed back to the hotel for more drinking and partying. Finally headed to bed around 2:30am.

Sunday; We spent Sunday morning touring the museums before taking our friends back to the airport and beginning the slow trip back to reality. The only place we took pictures was Old Bardstown Village. We decided to stop at a hotel about three hours from home to enjoy one more night away.

Monday; I just happened to pull off on the exit where the Columbus OH Harley Dealership is so, we spent some time in the morning looking around there.

We finally headed for home and spent the late afternoon and early evening visiting our parents before finally coming home to unpack.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#94 Unread post by Shorts »

Wow, one heckuva vacation! 8)

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Johnstown Thunder in the Valley

#95 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Took a ride down to Thunder in the Valley. WOW! What an experience. Everywhere you walked or looked there were bikes. Parked along the street. Parked in lots. Riding around the streets. It was just incredible. If you've never been to a big motorcycle weekend/rally/whatever they call them in your area, GO! I brought home a booklet with a list of events and we missed a great deal by only going for a couple hours one day. The estimated attendence from Thursday through Saturday afternoon was 180,000. The daytime stuff is all family friendly with a lot of kids around and activity and events for them. Take a camera! I didn't take mine and I regret it. I'm definitely taking it with me next year.

Guess that's it!

Stay Safe Out There!

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

S-50

#96 Unread post by slimcolo »

Sorry but I just realized that a S-50 isn't a 50cc. ( I am used to japanese bikes being in cc and Harleys being in inches, the world has turned upside down)

I've seen them around but always heard them called Boulevard and not the alpha/numeric S-50. Many ppl when I tell them I have a R100 BMW say they didn't know that BMW made 100cc bikes. Older Beemers use 1=10 so a R100 is 1000cc.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#97 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

I got in the habit of using the S-50 jargan because the entire line is Boulevard. And, when I call it an Intruder, people assume it's the "old" version of the bike. Not that it's changed much in the last 10 years. :laughing: It's a 50 ci and 805 cc.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Black Bear

#98 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Not a motorcycle related post but, I wanted to post it anyway. Here's a picture of a black bear photographed in my parents back yard. He/she hung around for about 30 minutes while we watched. My dad and I even yelled at it when it started to smash their aluminum can. It simply ignored us and continued to try and open the can. The only time it ran off was after tipping the can over. The bear nudged the can making it start to roll down the hill. :laughing:

We were on a second story patio and 15 to 20 yards away while I was taking the pictures. More can be found here. Unfortunately, a lot of them are blurry.

Stay Safe Out There!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Thunder In The Streets - Jamestown, NY

#99 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Took a ride up to Thunder In The Streets in Jamestown NY. It was fun. Not a whole lot of vendors but, they had some good shows. Music on a couple stages, stunt bike show and Biker Billy among other entertainment. Pics of some of the bikes can be found here. Hope you all enjoy!

Stay Safe Out There!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Upcoming Events

#100 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Just thought I'd post a couple upcoming events in case anyone is in the Erie area during August:

August 10 thru 12 Roar On The Shore in Erie PA. This is the first year for the event. Peter Fonda will be the guest of honor and lead the bike parade on Friday, August 10th.

August 24 thru 26 Rumble On The River in Tionesta PA. This is the second year for the event. Last year's event was only one day and drew an estimated 8,000 visitors. This year it is expanded to three days and will feature Arlen Ness as the special guest.

Stay Safe Out There!