1000cc Sport Bike as a first motorcycle?

Media Weasel
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Re: 1000cc Sport Bike as a first motorcycle?

#71 Unread post by Media Weasel »

maxman05 wrote:So I plan on getting a motorcycle as a secondary source of transportation partially due to the rising gas prices.
Get a scooter. 143 km on 4.2 litres of gas.
You do the math.

On the other hand, I'm getting a bike this year. I'm looking at a 650cc machine as the only bike I'll ever need. I'm 40. Figure out that I've done a lot of F--ing stupid things and I've got no desire to grab a 1,000 cc machine (which, fwiw, does bugger-all for gas consumption.)

If you really wanna save on gas, get a Honda Rebel. 77-85 MPG.

Dalefan8
Rookie
Rookie

#72 Unread post by Dalefan8 »

look to a 500 cc bike ninja maybe last thing you will be worrying about is rising gas prices, the insurance premium might be higher than the cost of the bike ( R1) you may want to research that before you purchase any sport bike.Some companys dont even insure them,and with your age and if your a new rider the odds are against you there.As soon as you tell them sport bike they see $$$$$$ signs.Start small you can always work your way up to something bigger.Few years under your belt if you keep your nose clean premiums will drop and you gain experience.

Good Luck.

Flak Monkey
Veteran
Veteran

#73 Unread post by Flak Monkey »

This thread...won't...die.
Last edited by Flak Monkey on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#74 Unread post by Apollofrost »

nope.
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

Custom
Elite
Elite

#75 Unread post by Custom »

Simple no you shouldn't get >600cc sportbike, if you are asking. but it is your money/life. i just got a 1000cc sportbike and i've a fair bit of riding exp, and still think its alot of power. just ask your self why the hell do i need that big of a bike rate know? there is no real good anwser.

like Captain Nartman said,

just my Hypocritical 2c.
04 GSX-R1000
04 GSX-R600 -SOLD

Shreddi
Rookie
Rookie

Be very very careful

#76 Unread post by Shreddi »

Man just be so careful. Especially holding your OWN lane when cornering. That IS a lot of bike for the first ride but... Hey their available. Im an old man so they did not have these back then and if they did I would probably be dead haha.
doiNk?

drsfinest29
Rookie
Rookie

#77 Unread post by drsfinest29 »

i do not mean to be rude or anything but i am a newbie myself and just like you i wanted to get a yahama r1 as my first bike but taking a msf course or a motorcycle lesson changed my mind(the guys here in this forum are really helpful). i do not think any exp. rider on here is going to recommend a 1000cc+ sport bike for a beginner trying looking for something under 500cc . what u think about the ninja 250? its a good leaner bike and mistake friendly. :D

thomak
Rookie
Rookie

#78 Unread post by thomak »

I started on a honda 185. now this bike was given to me and so money was a factor. I grew out of this bike fairly fast but it was wonderful to learn on. It was so light and easy to manuver, and it was going to get away from me if I cranked on the trottle by accident. From there I moved up to a honda cb 360 which was a lot more bike but still not to much power. Now this year as I get out on the road with my yamaha 650 seca I feel very comfortable controlling a larger bike. I'm very glad that I didn't get on a 650 to learn on let alone a liter bike.

This is just my experience with learing to ride. Good luck with whatever bike you end up with

alrick
Rookie
Rookie

#79 Unread post by alrick »

When I took the rider safety course, they put us on 50 cc training bikes and made us run the course all day. At the end of the day I jumped on my '84 VF1000, freshly tuned, freshly painted crotch rocket and proceeded to twist the throttle like I had been all day just because I had been doing it all day. Well the bike took off without me and fell over on the grass (thank god). I was left standing there with the rear signal lights embedded into my thighs. The point is, Yeah, you can learn on a big bike but why? I decided to move down to a 600RR. This little bugger has more power! It is easier to handle and it is way more comfortable.
Good luck and and good on you for your choice.
BTW, my thighs still hurt from time to time.

Carbonfiberjunky
Regular
Regular

#80 Unread post by Carbonfiberjunky »

I started on a 600 sportbike. not sorry I did, probably never buy anything bigger..no need. Lots of fun. Cruised around my neighborhood a few days getting used to it. Just take time to learn the bike you buy. I wouldn't buy a 1000 though. I also took the MSF class.
Luck often favors the one who doesn't count it in their plans