You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ THIS!

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#121 Unread post by Peter Y »

Koss wrote: So are you saying they are as closed minded as us Americans? hrm? Because we can't possibly understand all of "europe"... although there are european countries that have this tiered licensing system?
Just some food for thought.
Very fair comments on your side. I think the way you deliver your opinion is just as important as the opinion itsself. This was constructive and non confrontational.

Due to my work ive been fortunate to live in over five different countries and to your point the systems are different. There are tiered systems, restricted license options and then the no restriction type. A lot of your views obviously depend on "What the norm" is in your country. I respect all of these and they have pro's and con's in all of them. My frustration was that when I made a comment where there were several criteria's influencing the outcome I was "bombarded" with passionate objection.

They have some pretty funky 250CC supersports in the UK for example that could do a lot of damage should be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong speed.

Anyway good comments, good points and thanks for not being fanatical.

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#122 Unread post by Koss »

Peter Y wrote: A lot of your views obviously depend on "What the norm" is in your country. I respect all of these and they have pro's and con's in all of them.

They have some pretty funky 250CC supersports in the UK for example that could do a lot of damage should be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong speed.

Anyway good comments, good points and thanks for not being fanatical.
Actually, I've lived in england, germany, and jordan. Its not just my view as an american.

Yes, even a 50cc scooter can get you into serious trouble if your not on top of your surroundings and riding.
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss

balb1427
Rookie
Rookie

#123 Unread post by balb1427 »

just thought I'd let you know that this article has influenced me not to go for the 600 series right away. I am 16 and hopefully going to get some kind of bike before I graduate from High School. I don't like any of the Ninja Series so I think once i get a solid financial base, I'll get the 500cc Suzuki that was mentioned in the article. Thanks for the advice

-Brian

jackc34
Rookie
Rookie

#124 Unread post by jackc34 »

balb1427 wrote:just thought I'd let you know that this article has influenced me not to go for the 600 series right away. I am 16 and hopefully going to get some kind of bike before I graduate from High School. I don't like any of the Ninja Series so I think once i get a solid financial base, I'll get the 500cc Suzuki that was mentioned in the article. Thanks for the advice

-Brian
Well,500cc Isn't that much smaller than a 600cc,when you consider that most 600cc bikes are infact around the 596 to 599cc and are just considered a 600cc,

If you been riding awhile a 499cc would be fine,but just starting I'm going with a 250cc which is really like a 249cc,mainly because of the price and insurance,here's my qoutes from gieco,the 600cc honda cbr was $250 a month insurance,the United motors 250cc is $100 a month,that's 150 cheaper and when you ad the car insurance i have to pay as well,my total insurance a month is $200 with the car and the UM250cc,as compared to $350 with the car and honda 600cc,That's a big diff when you don't have a very large income.

So before you go for the bigger bike,just consider the payments on the bike,and the Insurance,My UM250cc payments are $50 a month for 12 months,then $75 a month after 12 months.Honda 600cc,$50 a month for 12 months,then $150 after 12 months,

So here's how it looks,$250 car payment,$75 bike payment,$200 insurance for car and bike combined,

That's $525 a month in payments,for the UM250cc and my car and insurance,

Honda,$250 CAR,BIKE $150,CAR INSURANCE AND BIKE INSURANCE COMBINED,$350,

That's $750 a month,so I save $225,That covers gas,and food on road trips,not to mention the rooms at motels on the trips,So that's why I went with a smaller bike,The cost and the fact that I'm a beginner and I'm not looking to race,I just wanted a nice bike,that I'm comfertable with that looks good and runs good,that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg,In payments or from not being ready to handle the power of a bike "O Ring" bike,resulting in my leg underneath a tractor trailer,my arm cought in the sewer grate,and my pencil cought in the bike chain aka the grinder.

But hey,that's just my point of view.good luck with your bike.

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#125 Unread post by Nalian »

jackc34 wrote:
balb1427 wrote:just thought I'd let you know that this article has influenced me not to go for the 600 series right away. I am 16 and hopefully going to get some kind of bike before I graduate from High School. I don't like any of the Ninja Series so I think once i get a solid financial base, I'll get the 500cc Suzuki that was mentioned in the article. Thanks for the advice

-Brian
Well,500cc Isn't that much smaller than a 600cc,when you consider that most 600cc bikes are infact around the 596 to 599cc and are just considered a 600cc,
That statement is VERY wrong. There is an enormous difference between a 500cc motorcycle and a 600cc supersport. Like about 100 horsepower difference.

When you're dealing with motorcycles you cannot go by the engine size - it is very misleading. You must go by the amount of horsepower and torque the bike puts out.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#126 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

exactly, the 600's are built to 600cc for Race specifications, not because its a nice size.

Its no wonder that they are tuned closer to race spec with sharper brakes than a 500cc bike. They are not the same animal at all
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#127 Unread post by Peter Y »

Nibblet99 wrote:exactly, the 600's are built to 600cc for Race specifications, not because its a nice size.

Its no wonder that they are tuned closer to race spec with sharper brakes than a 500cc bike. They are not the same animal at all
There are 600CC's that are more timid also. Not every 600CC is a supersports. A supersport style 500CC would be more dangerous than a timid 600CC cruiser or something like that.

I dont think we are ever going to get a common consensus on this issue. At the end of the day you get what you can handle and you apply common sense. Doesnt matter if its 500cc or 600cc.

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#128 Unread post by Koss »

Peter Y wrote:
Nibblet99 wrote:exactly, the 600's are built to 600cc for Race specifications, not because its a nice size.

There are 600CC's that are more timid also. Not every 600CC is a supersports. A supersport style 500CC would be more dangerous than a timid 600CC cruiser or something like that.

I dont think we are ever going to get a common consensus on this issue. At the end of the day you get what you can handle and you apply common sense. Doesnt matter if its 500cc or 600cc.
Thats why we go by horsepower and the weight of the motorcycle... and no one ever said a 600cc cruiser wasn't ok for a newbie. Its only 600CC supersport bikes we don't agree with AT ALL.

Edit: we as in the people who are arguing this point of view.

And at all as in, for inexperienced new riders...

Happy now Mr. Technical?
Last edited by Koss on Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss

Fast Eddy B
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 02 Fazer FZS600

#129 Unread post by Fast Eddy B »

Nalian wrote:
That statement is VERY wrong. There is an enormous difference between a 500cc motorcycle and a 600cc supersport. Like about 100 horsepower difference.
Which 500's are we talking about? A 600cc race-rep bike puts out between 108 to 130 bhp. So are we talking about Royal Enfields? (22bhp)
02 Fazer 600

Fast Eddy B
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 02 Fazer FZS600

#130 Unread post by Fast Eddy B »

Koss wrote: Thats why we go by horsepower and the weight of the motorcycle... and no one ever said a 600cc cruiser wasn't ok for a newbie. Its only 600CC supersport bikes we don't agree with AT ALL.

We?
At all?

Did I miss something?
02 Fazer 600