Any thoughts on a new Triumph Bonneville?

xsyamahadg
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 55
My Motorcycle: 2007 1100 V-Star Silverado

#11 Unread post by xsyamahadg »

It's good to know that you guys speak highly of the Triumph, because I have been looking at the Triumph Street Scrambler. It's not the Bonnie, but I think it is one of the best looking retros on the market today. It's one of the few bikes that would temp me to stray from the Yamaha line. Check it and tell me what you think of it:
http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/3336.aspx
1981 Yamaha XS650H
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
1979 Honda PA 50
1970 Rupp mini
Stop in and visit my web site sometime:
http://rideohiomc1.proboards.com

mark bennett
Rookie
Rookie

#12 Unread post by mark bennett »

Thanks for the heads up. :D

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#13 Unread post by jstark47 »

xsyamahadg wrote:It's good to know that you guys speak highly of the Triumph, because I have been looking at the Triumph Street Scrambler. It's not the Bonnie, but I think it is one of the best looking retros on the market today. It's one of the few bikes that would temp me to stray from the Yamaha line. Check it and tell me what you think of it:
http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/3336.aspx
I've been hoping someone else would answer, 'cause I'm not personally a big fan of the Scrambler. It seems to me to be more of a styling exercise than anything else. But if you want to do some reading, go to the Triumph Twins forum at Triumphrat.net, and you'll find tons of Scrambler threads, pro and con. (That's a big forum, suggest you use the Advanced Search tool to locate threads about the Scrambler).
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

tex1230
Elite
Elite

#14 Unread post by tex1230 »

I think the scrambler is just a dressed up bonneville anyway - if you like that style, fine...I personally don't like it but to each his own.
2006 Triumph Bonneville Black

xsyamahadg
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#15 Unread post by xsyamahadg »

To me, the scrambler screams 1960s, that's what the retro look is all about. Isn't it ?
1981 Yamaha XS650H
1979 Honda PA 50
1970 Rupp mini

rapidblue
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#16 Unread post by rapidblue »

tex1230 wrote:I think the scrambler is just a dressed up bonneville anyway - if you like that style, fine...I personally don't like it but to each his own.
The bonny/thruxton/scrambler are all basically the same but each are tweaked to suit different needs.

The Scrambler does have a very retro feel. I've sat on one. The only problem is that the exhaust position feels like a leg burner. It does have heat shields there though, i'd have to sit on a running one to actaully see how hot it gets.
80 honda CB750F Super Sport

Locopez
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 09 HD Electra Glide Classic

#17 Unread post by Locopez »

I was kinda of gettting an itch to get another bike...and had been seeing this Triumph checker board graphics on it.....

So earlier this year I went down to the local dealer....and saw that it was a Thurxton....man...nice looking bike. But for me the controls were in the wrong place for me and the clip on bars...did seem to be a comfortable postion. But man what a nice looking bike...even the Bonne....

I really like the look of the "old" style Triumphs

Good luck with your choice!!!
07 Suzuki DR650SE & 03 HD FLHT Elctra Glide

Rubber side down....shinny side up!

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#18 Unread post by jstark47 »

rapidblue wrote:
tex1230 wrote:I think the scrambler is just a dressed up bonneville anyway - if you like that style, fine...I personally don't like it but to each his own.
The bonny/thruxton/scrambler are all basically the same but each are tweaked to suit different needs.

The Scrambler does have a very retro feel. I've sat on one. The only problem is that the exhaust position feels like a leg burner. It does have heat shields there though, i'd have to sit on a running one to actaully see how hot it gets.
Unlike the Bonneville, the Scrambler has double-walled exhaust, plus the heat shield where it goes under your leg........ but yeah, I know what you mean, I wouldn't want my leg that close to the pipe either.

I did some searching but still can't get a good read on whether they changed the suspension on the Scrambler. The steering head is different, a bit less rake, and it has different bars. It uses the 865cc engine and the 270 degree crank (like a Speedmaster), but the engine has been re-tuned for more low-end torque, so it's not the same. The seat is narrower and two inches higher.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

xsyamahadg
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#19 Unread post by xsyamahadg »

Back in 1970, Triumph had the 650cc Trophy which was sold as an on/off road bike, but lets face it, the bike was for looks only, it was heavy, it had 650cc, upswept pipes, 4 speed gear box, street suspension and a top speed of 105 mph. Not really your typical dirt bike, as is the case of the Triumph 2007 Street Scrambler. Also back in the 60s Honda had their 305cc Street scrambler with the upswept pipes as did Suzuki and BSA with their 441cc Victor Special. I had a 441cc Victor Special with the high pipe which presented no heat problems unless of course if it was lying on top of you. My point is that with the glut of retro cruisers on the market today, the Street Scrambler is a refreshing alternative to what everyone else has.
1981 Yamaha XS650H
1979 Honda PA 50
1970 Rupp mini

macdaddy
Veteran
Veteran

#20 Unread post by macdaddy »

I have an '03 Bonnie that I really enjoy - I'm a fairly new rider, but old enough that when I think about motorcycles, the British twins from the 60s are what first comes to my mind. The Bonnie has that look with modern brakes, no oil leaks, and a non-Lucas electrical system (i.e. it still works in the rain). As a straight-up standard, it's got great ergos for just scooting around town, and has enough torque to get out of it's own way. I can carve the corners if I want (though the pegs drag pretty quickly), or I can throw on some saddlebags and tour (though not as comfortable as a Goldwing or big Beemer). A set of aftermarket front brake pads helped a lot with my confidence in the brakes.

You can turn it into a cafe racer, or a mid-sized cruiser if you like with Triumph or aftermarket parts.

It's a great do-everything bike at a decent price and a more than a passing nod to motorcycling heritage.
2006 Triumph Sprint ST (silver)
2003 Triumph Bonneville (red)