1000cc Sport Bike as a first motorcycle?

Captain Nartman
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#61 Unread post by Captain Nartman »

First Bike ere was a GT750 Kwaka Shafty.....

Near on Killed Meself a Dozen Times Before I was at "ONE" with it...

Ifya Believe ya Capable... (I Did n Wasn't) Go Big cc but NOT a Sporty.... You'll Come Unstuck n Bleed a Bit...(I did) Ifya Lucky.

My Hypocritical 2c.

N x
Cheers.

Sculelos
Veteran
Veteran

#62 Unread post by Sculelos »

badfish89 wrote:my first bike is a buell firebolt XB12r. That is 1203 cc's and it prolly has les HP than your bike. But still a lot. I learned on a smaller bike though.
A 1203cc Buell engine makes 103HP and 82FT pounds of torque at 6500rpm, it doesn't really matter to me though as I can keep up with any bike doing the legal speed limits on my Lightning, and I most the time don't even go about 4K RPM, plus for a 1203cc engine it's gas milage is phenominal, I get about 44MPG rodding around town and about 62Mpg riding a little more conservative.
04 Buell Lightning XB12S

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#63 Unread post by VermilionX »

no comment.

:laughing:
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

small town jon
Rookie
Rookie

#64 Unread post by small town jon »

hey all, im in need of some help into getting a bike..
im 18 not so much the agressive riding type but dont have much ridin
experience.. im thinking of getting an r1 but afraid of too much power.
The only reason im thinkin about it is cause its a used low mileage 1000cc bike for about 3k i weigh 150 and im about 5'6 ..
i dont have any friends that have bikes so any advice will help

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#65 Unread post by VermilionX »

small town jon wrote:hey all, im in need of some help into getting a bike..
im 18 not so much the agressive riding type but dont have much ridin
experience.. im thinking of getting an r1 but afraid of too much power.
The only reason im thinkin about it is cause its a used low mileage 1000cc bike for about 3k i weigh 150 and im about 5'6 ..
i dont have any friends that have bikes so any advice will help
i wouldn't advice it. also, the seat height of the R1 will be too much for you if you're only 5'6". and like you said, you're afraid of too much power.

another thing... if you can't insure the bike under your parent's name, you'll be surprised at how much it will cost to insure an R1 since you're only 18.

anyway... i started on a gixxer1000 but i don't recommend it to others.

in the end, it's your choice... it's very risky to learn on a 1000cc RR bike.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

bok
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#66 Unread post by bok »

price is a consideration, but you would probably be better off on a ex250/500 or at the top end an sv650 as a beginners bike. Better to spend 3k on a bike you are comfortable on and can enjoy rather than one that scares the stuffing out of you
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#67 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

all these 18-19 y/o's sayign they want to get 1000RR bikes or even 600RR bikes will be very sad puppies when they call the insurance company. i am 21 and pay a fortune for my 250, i would be uninsurable on a 1000 because it would be almost the value of the bike every year to ride it. (and i have a perfect drivign record)

anyone who is new and posted here abotu gettign a big bike needs to go to the new-to-biking forum and read the stickies. and put your huge penises away, no one here will be impressed by your big/fast bike.
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]

doubleds69
Regular
Regular

#68 Unread post by doubleds69 »

I definitely agree that the litre bikes are the wrong way to go for the beginner. I learned on a little 125cc bike and it was great. They're very light and maneuverable and the little engines are perfectly happy doing all the slower-speed things you should be practicing when you're learning, and can also keep up in traffic.

That said, I got a 600cc sport bike as my first bike but for good reason (other than it's just one I happened to find in good condition in my don't-get-anything-fancy-I'll-probably-drop-it-anyway price range). First it was an older model, so a little lower seat height, a little heavier, and not as much power as the modern middle class bikes have.

People that say "I can blow away any car on my 250" obviously need the smaller engine because it sounds like they're already driving way past legal limits and will just be worse with more power. However I don't speed in my car and I haven't on my bike either.

From what I hear on a lot of modern sport bikes, they can give you too much power to handle if you're not careful. My bike has power but you do have to ask for it (no accidental one-handed wheelies like one guy reported on a GSXR-1100 which I decided against).

You can definitely sell smaller bikes for the same price you bought them for or not much less, and without too much trouble. Personally though, I get attached to things (see the fact that I still have my first car, 5 years later, and don't want to get rid of it any time soon), so I'll have it for a few years, and it'll still suit me fine at the end.

I don't want to undermine anyone else here, everyone thinks they can handle all the power in the world, but when the vast majority of people are given more power, they use it. And at 100 miles an hour a second to react means you're already dead.

Also I don't know about getting a new bike to start off - I'd say make your mistakes on a used one. I almost dropped mine the first time I rode it - if that was a new bike, I would have shot myself. And you probably want to get used to maintaining a bike properly and plus the break-in might not be something you want to do while learning at the same time. I'm just making an assumption on that one, I don't know from experience.

Whoa, better end my babbling now - just my two cents . . . or maybe more like 10 cents.
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600R

Twisty13
Rookie
Rookie

#69 Unread post by Twisty13 »

I started on an old honda VTR 250. I quickly grew out of it and wanted something faster, so I got a CBR 600 F2. The F2 is nowhere near as fast as the bikes nowadays, but you sure could not have fooled me! It seemed like the fastest thing on earth when I first rolled hard on the throttle. Bottom line is...I'm very glad I started on the 250, as I really think that I might have died, had I started on the 600. If you get the R1, God help you.

WyoRider
Regular
Regular

#70 Unread post by WyoRider »

I grew up racing dirt bikes and my first ride on a street bike was ten years ago on a 1980 Kawi LTD 440. That was totaly different. Counter steering came natural.
This summer I moved up to a 750 cruiser. It is getting on average 58 mpg in town.
It was plenty of bike for me for only a few months, now I'm wanting a bigger one. Getting an 1100.
Sport bikes are out of the question. I took a ride on one a few months back and realized how much trouble I could get myself into. My days of speed were burned out of my system about ten years ago. Insurance is really cheap on my cruiser and if I got a sport bike, I would have to take out a second mortgage on my house to pay for the insurance, even at my age (43).

For your first bike use a little common sense and if it's a sport bike you want, stay small to start out. If you get the 1000cc just to be cool, then you are looking at it the wrong way. There is a difference between riding a bike and handling a bike.
If you have that speed and showing off mentality, keep it for the track. With no previous experience, you will kill yourself or kill someone else, then you will loose all that coolness in an instant. Is it worth it?
Be safe dude.
'07 Honda Shadow Aero
Soon to own,'02 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Member:
Patriot Guard Rider
Marne Riders Motorcycle Club
Society of the 3RD ID
Cold War Veterans Association
NRA
YSC
HRCA