Baja trip

uscgbeachbum
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Baja trip

#1 Unread post by uscgbeachbum »

I've wanted to do one of these since I got my first dirtbike. My dad brought up the idea about a week ago. It is a lifelong dream of my dad and he's getting to the point where within the next few years he won't be able to do it. I've looked around and most of the Baja trips are "field trips". You have about 8-10 people with a guide, lodging, meals, and safety crew, blah blah blah. Of course, my dad isn't one for a structured vacation. He wants to see Mexico for what it really is on "ungroomed" terrain on no specific agenda. Has anyone been to the Baja region? How safe is it (honestly) to go wondering through the area? Are the people friendly? My dad is a woodsman and he wants to go back to his Army recon days where he only has a map and a compass, but I think I'll smuggle in the GPS (hey, I will need to be back to work on a certain day). My biggest fear is dehydration since you can't drink the water and really can't bring a cooler on the back of a dirtbike. Ideas? Tips? Information?

Rydr
Elite
Elite

Baja Trip

#2 Unread post by Rydr »

Get a couple of the hydration packs that bicycle riders use. A couple of friends just spent the whole month of October on a Mexico motorcycle trip going to the Adventure Touring Rally at Copper Canyon and then visiting other areas along the Coast and in the Mountains. They used the hydration backpacks and said they worked very well. They fit like a regular small backpack and hold several quarts of water. A tube comes over your shoulder and you can drink from it like you would from a bicycle water bottle. They filled the hydration pack every morning with bottled water.

The other option is you could fill a regular backpack with Corona lol. :laughing:

Hope this helps. Have a good trip.

75hus400wr
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by 75hus400wr »

Try Tim and Jen Morton at www.bajabound.com. They can hook you up on any size or length motorcycle Baja trip you desire. Steve