Ladies - Women's first bike choice

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Ladies - Women's first bike choice

#1 Unread post by sunshine229 »

A common thread on our forums has always been "What is a good bike to start on." I thought since inevitably someone will want to ask this question, we could probably get a head start and share some ideas.

Of course, since we are in the Ladies Lounge, I think we should direct our suggestions to new women riders!

Andrea :)
Andrea :sun:

Miss_C667
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Miss_C667 »

I'd be very interested to hear some suggestions.

Firstly, once I have done my CBT, I can only legally ride a 125 until I pass my full test.

Secondly, I'm 5'2" and quite short legged. All but one of the bikes I've tried so far has been too tall for me.
[i]Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures. [/i]

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Here is my 2 cents :twocents:

I found that the hardest thing to overcome when learning to ride, was learning how to balance the weight of a motorcycle. At my MSF course I was able to try a cruiser, a standard & a sport bike. The sport bike was the hardest to handle because the weight makes it top-heavy. The standard was the easiest for me because the cruisers weight was very low leading to a low centre of gravity.

I would also recommend starting on a bike with lower torque and horsepower so that you can get used to the bike before it sweeps you off your feet!

Andrea :)
Last edited by sunshine229 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrea :sun:

Ladymx
Site Supporter - Platinum

#4 Unread post by Ladymx »

Miss_C667 wrote:I'd be very interested to hear some suggestions.

Firstly, once I have done my CBT, I can only legally ride a 125 until I pass my full test.

Secondly, I'm 5'2" and quite short legged. All but one of the bikes I've tried so far has been too tall for me.
When you get your full test done you would likely like the honda rebel 250. It seems to be a good starting place for many lady riders, due to the height.

southern belle
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by southern belle »

I started on a Honda Rebel but I would also suggest trying the Honda Aero. I am also 5'2" and I can comfortable sit on this bike with both feet flat on the ground.

Miss_C667
Regular
Regular

#6 Unread post by Miss_C667 »

Chels wrote:When you get your full test done you would likely like the honda rebel 250. It seems to be a good starting place for many lady riders, due to the height.
southern belle wrote:I started on a Honda Rebel but I would also suggest trying the Honda Aero. I am also 5'2" and I can comfortable sit on this bike with both feet flat on the ground.
Thank you for suggestions so far, I'll look out for those bikes at the next show I'm at.
[i]Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures. [/i]

Smurfette
Rookie
Rookie

Women's First Choice Bike

#7 Unread post by Smurfette »

Hi! I'm 5'3" and I ride a Yamaha Virago 250. It's my first bike and I think it's fairly easy to handle. Not that heavy either unlike a Yamaha Royalstar.
U can't handle the truth!!!

strtchick
Rookie
Rookie

I need help

#8 Unread post by strtchick »

I have a question I am 5'5 and weigh about 115 i want to get a streetbike a nice eacy one to maneuver and fun bike I want to get somthing light i was thinking of Yamaha or Suxuki or Honda btu dotn know which would fit my needs best help :o
You only live once so enjoy life!

singinggum
Rookie
Rookie

Re: I need help

#9 Unread post by singinggum »

strtchick wrote:I have a question I am 5'5 and weigh about 115 i want to get a streetbike a nice eacy one to maneuver and fun bike I want to get somthing light i was thinking of Yamaha or Suxuki or Honda btu dotn know which would fit my needs best help :o
I had some of the same concerns when I was shopping for my first bike. I ended up getting a Honda 919 which is a naked streetbike. It's one of the lightest bikes out there at under 500lbs dry weight and it kicks A-S-S! there were a lot of people out there whose opinion was that it's too much bike to start out with, but I didn't want to get a teeny bike that ultimately I would get bored with and have to sell in a couple of months. Weight was a major concern of mine as well as height. I am less than 2"taller than you, and I didn't have to make any modifications at all. but I'm pretty sure you can chop it down if you need to. I've had it for over a year and couldn't be happier. This one's a keeper!!
Hope this helps! :D

Ladymx

#10 Unread post by Ladymx »

Two inches on a bike is the difference of touching the ground and not touching the ground. You'd be very surprised.