amysue529
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

#161 Unread post by amysue529 »

MZ33 wrote:
My boyfriend has been riding for years and incessantly insists that I start out on a 600.
Get a better boyfriend. Seriously. What right does he have to insist on what you ride? Does he like to control everything else in your life, too? Your car? Your clothes? Is he of the disposition that it's his way or no way? What gear does he wear, by the way?

It's tough to be a newbie when you are surrounded by bad advice. You want to be able to depend on them for help and pointers, but you have to be able to trust what they are telling you. It helps to be armed with a little more information: read the Sticky about newbies and 600 cc sportbikes in the Newbie Forum. And FYI, the highest crash rate for new riders were for those that were taught by their friends. Those rates were higher even than those who taught themselves. My guess is that peer pressure and the illusion of expertise have something to do with that. The best thing you can do for yourself is take lessons from a professional instructor, so take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginner Course. They may even have a 250 Ninja or 500cc Buell for you to learn on.

Even if you lower the heavier sportbike, it will be top heavy, and that will be harder for you to handle than for your guy friends to handle. I have a Versys, and though it is 100 lbs lighter than our V Star cruiser, it is much harder for me to move around in the garage. If I had absolutely no experience, it would be a disaster.

When you are ready to sell your Ninja, there will be somebody ready to buy it. It won't lose much value in a year or two.

Okay, I've said my piece. Now for my betters: Lion Lady! Blues! Coffee!! And the rest of you experienced riders! Step up to the plate here and weigh in before I mix any more metaphors!! :laughing:

But above all, amysue,
:welcome4: to TMW!!
We're here for a good time, not for a long time

Trobairitz
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2009 Suzuki Gladius

#162 Unread post by Trobairitz »

Thanks for the encouragement Lion Lady. We are leaning that way but they are so hard to find used and we aren't sure we want to spend the money on new.

Since my post, unexpected medical bills have delayed us for a few months on purchasing a bike for me, but I'll still get there, just might be next spring.

For now I'll enjoy the sunshine riding pillion on hubby's Triumph. Sigh.
"You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you're all the same." - Daniel Knode

amysue529
Rookie
Rookie

#163 Unread post by amysue529 »

WELL.... I think that that was a little harsh. I said my boyfriend insisted that I wanted to start out on a 600. NOT that he was forcing me. I am a very independent woman and No, he does not control anything in my life. I do what I want to, when I want to, his approval is not needed. I just looked to him for advice since I have never rode and he has been riding for a while

Thanks for the advice though, I have decided to trust my instincts and buy a 2008 250 ninja. Thanks girls!

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#164 Unread post by MZ33 »

It was harsh on purpose. I have seen many women justify their s.o.'s aggressive stance as "concern". It was more important to me to give you some fierce female backup in case that would help jolt him (and perhaps you) into considering an alternative. Glad it isn't necessary.

Besides, as I said, there are others, such as Lion Lady, who can write an excellent treatise on the finer points of newbie vs. experienced, and male vs. female, riding techniques.

But ride on, and enjoy!

M.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Thistleback
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

"Our" first bike choice

#165 Unread post by Thistleback »

My husband has ridden off an on most of his life. I only rode for a short time in my late teens, then not again until we bought scooters a couple of years ago. I have put a lot of miles on, just around town of course. I love riding, and have been wanting a bigger bike for a long time. With the economy the way it is, we can't swing buying two new bikes this year, so my husband, bless his heart, said we can sell the scooters to buy me a 250. I'll ride on my own for a year, then next year I can move up to a bigger bike (and we'll get two new ones). I wanted a Rebel 450, but hubby wanted me to start smaller. I consented, as I pick my battles, and besides, I'm no spring chicken, and not as strong as I used to be. Anyway, I'm thrilled that he is willing to sell both scooters to get me a new ride! What a guy! 8)

I'm looking at a Yamaha Virago (or V-star) 250. The local dealership is getting last year's trainers back from the motorcycle safety class, and they will sell them for $2995 with full warranty. As long as they haven't been down hard, I don't see any downside to that, do you? They would only have a couple hundred miles on them.

What do you all think?
[b][size=117]Thistleback[/b][/size]

2005 Yamaha Zuma - Sold
2005 Yamaha Virago 250 - Sold

[img]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy330/thistleback/P1020009.jpg[/img]
[b][size=117]'Red Sonja' 1995 Yamaha Virago 750[/size][/b]

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#166 Unread post by MZ33 »

Have you taken the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course yet?? There are usually 250cc bikes of several makes and models there, and if you are interested in riding a particular kind, they may be able to accomodate you. You could actually learn the basics on the kind of bike you are thinking about purchasing.

I took the course on the Honda 250cc Rebel, and discovered that it wasn't to my liking--not for puchase. Seat was like a padded plank! My girlfriend, on the other hand, took the class on a 250cc Suzuki but failed the test. When she re-took the test at MSF, she rode a Rebel and just loved it. Passed, then went out and bought one.

If you haven't taken the MSF Basic Riders Course yet, please do--don't rely on your husband's riding experience to teach you. The pro's are not just excellent riders, they are practiced teachers with a professional curriculum. It's an important difference.

amysue529
Rookie
Rookie

#167 Unread post by amysue529 »

Well I went out and bought my first bike last week. I have had so much fun on it in just a few days time! I did encounter my first real hate for twisties though. Went down hard on Saturday. My brand new 250 ninja isn't so pretty anymore :frusty: Any pointers on twisties from the ladies? (for after i get it fixed and heal of course) [/b]

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#168 Unread post by MZ33 »

Sorry to hear about your crash! How badly were you hurt?

Twisties are not newbie friendly, I know that. Try re-posting this question on the newbie forum that we have here. You'll hit a wider audience.

:getwellsoon:

amysue529
Rookie
Rookie

just call me crash!

#169 Unread post by amysue529 »

Well a lot of scrapes, bruises and soreness but nothing major. Now my bike on the other hand, not so pretty anymore. im taking it in for its estimate today. Hopefully they don't total it :oops:

Trobairitz
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2009 Suzuki Gladius

#170 Unread post by Trobairitz »

AmySue529, please tell me you wear ATGATT?

Either way, I am glad you are ok and hope you are up and riding soon and that the bruises and scrapes aren't too bad.

I am still waiting on my first bike and not looking forward to gauging how fast to take twisties. Much easier from the pillion I am guessing.

Take care and ride safe.
"You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you're all the same." - Daniel Knode