JenM
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Hi!

#43 Unread post by JenM »

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here, this is my first post.
I just got my first bike - for my 40th birthday, can you say "midlife crisis"? :)
Since I had never been on a bike in my life, I bought a "starter bike" from a guy. It's a 1986 Honda Nighthawk 450.
I got it three weeks ago and spent the first week riding it around my yard (we have 3 acres). Then I ventured out onto the road (unlicensed, no plates, no registration :wink: - we live out in the country). Well, this past weekend, I took the BRC and passed with flying colors so I'm ready to be legal! I'm going tomorrow to get my permit, which I have to keep for 30 days, then I get my MC endorsement.
When I got the bike, a lot of people said, "it's too small!!" I am so glad I didn't listen to them. I've dumped it twice in my yard, and after the first time, when I felt the weight of that thing, I was shocked at how heavy it is. Not to mention the damage it did to the bike, just from landing in the grass. We spent a couple of hours tonight straightening out the headlight and turn signals, and I had to replace the shift lever. I paid $700 for my bike, and I would have been SICK if I had done that damage to a brand new one!

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and I'm looking forward to reading more on this forum. Here's a pic of me and my "new baby" (by the way, before anyone says anything, I CAN put my feet down when sitting on it, I just wasn't in that pic):

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#44 Unread post by High_Side »

Congrats on the new bike, JenM. I recognize the grin from a certain JenR.... :laughing: You picked a great bike to learn on. Enjoy!
High_Side

rnr262
Elite
Elite

#45 Unread post by rnr262 »

Nice looking bike! I would love to have a Nighthawk 450. I bet it's the perfect size. Have fun and congrats on passing the MSF.
01 Vulcan 750
05 Rebel

Loonette
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#46 Unread post by Loonette »

Welcome to the Lounge! Cool bike (and cool shirt too - I have the exact same shirt - weird...). You'll have a great time getting in more practice on your bike - eventually you'll be whippin' it around all over the place. Each bike you get used to becomes an extended part of your own body. And you'll know when/if it's time to change to a different style/size bike. Nobody else will be able to determine this.

Enjoy your ride and the forums.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

JenM
Regular
Regular

#47 Unread post by JenM »

Loonette wrote:Welcome to the Lounge! Cool bike (and cool shirt too - I have the exact same shirt - weird...).
Ha! Do you shop at Lane Bryant too?! :-)

Loonette
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#48 Unread post by Loonette »

JenM wrote:
Loonette wrote:Welcome to the Lounge! Cool bike (and cool shirt too - I have the exact same shirt - weird...).
Ha! Do you shop at Lane Bryant too?! :-)
Yes - mostly because they have the most stylish of clothing for plus-size gals. The department stores just have smocks and clown tents for larger women. The prices aren't the best at Lane Bryant, but I'm usually perusing the clearance rack anyhow. I don't buy under garments there however - their bras are much, much too large for my "girls". But I do like their jeans and tops.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Bike Phreak
Veteran
Veteran

Re: I need help

#49 Unread post by Bike Phreak »

strtchick wrote:I have a question I am 5'5 and weigh about 115 i want to get a streetbike a nice eacy one to maneuver and fun bike I want to get somthing light i was thinking of Yamaha or Suxuki or Honda btu dotn know which would fit my needs best help :o
Sorry ladies, I can't help but read your posts :oops:

My suggestion would be a Kawasaki Ninja 250R. She would be a forgiving sport bike to learn on. I think that cruisers and dirt bikes are different animals (more like wildabeast where as a sport bike is like a cheeta)
Just my opinion.

:mrgreen:
'05 Kaw Ninja 250 R
Black/Green

Next bike? Hmmmm :laughing: Kaw 600 RR? Custom paint of the Grim Reaper.

chey
Rookie
Rookie

#50 Unread post by chey »

can i just ask what the rules are for learning in the US are, over here nowadays they have to do a CBT (compulsory basic training) before they are even allowed to venture out on a bike, then its limited to 125cc and 12bhp

If under 21 a passing the main test will restrict you to 33bhp i think and thats for about 2yrs again i think (was last time i looked but english government change mind like wind) when it becomes unlimited and you can ride anything.

If your over 21 you can do a direct access and go straight unlimited.

My hubby has done his CBT and is pottering around on an old Honda CD125 benly twin till next summer when i will let him borrow my GS550L custom to take his direct access on.

I just can imagine a starter bike being over 125cc we all learnt on them in the old days

"eeek shouldnt say that feel old now, must go for bike ride to forget."

Chey
You dont have to mad to live here, but is darn sure helps