So I want to know...

Iamjustifyd
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Iamjustifyd »

41 yrs. and just started riding in March. I've got a Ninja 500, started on a ninja 250...fun bike!! I ride to work and just got some saddlebags for it so will start taking git more to the store and different places. I tried to learn at about 18 yrs. and fell...got scared but decided it's time!! You have fun riding and be safe :D
Whatever happened...I didn't do it!!
2007 ninja 250r Sold
2004 Ninja 500R sold
2003 Bandit 600

Bluebabe
Elite
Elite

#12 Unread post by Bluebabe »

Starting riding about 28 years ago when hubby asked me if I ever thought about riding my own. He taught me, rode illegal for a while and then whent he kids all left home, went out and got a bigger bike and took the MSF class which answered a lot of questions for me and now I am as confident as ever. Just got back from a road trip with friends down to Valdez, Alaska and back, 932 miles. It was an awesome trip! Half of us were gals.... :D

Oops, sorry, almost forgot, I am 53.
1978 Honda Twinstar 185
1986 Kawasaki 454
1992 Honda Shadow 600

Current bike:
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Christian Motorcyclists Association
Arctic Servants Chapter

month1202
Rookie
Rookie

#13 Unread post by month1202 »

I tried to ride when i was 13, but i got hurt. after that i rarely to ride. i am 25 now, i start to ride again, because i got a job, i have to ride... :laughing:

goodies
Veteran
Veteran

#14 Unread post by goodies »

I was taught to ride a mini bike before even a bicycle. LOL! I rode up until I graduated HS, street and trail. Took about a 25 year break due to raising kids and bike access. I just bought a Honda Shadow VLX600 and am starting all over and scheduled for the MSF in a couple of weeks. :)

Bluebabe
Elite
Elite

#15 Unread post by Bluebabe »

goodies wrote:I was taught to ride a mini bike before even a bicycle. LOL! I rode up until I graduated HS, street and trail. Took about a 25 year break due to raising kids and bike access. I just bought a Honda Shadow VLX600 and am starting all over and scheduled for the MSF in a couple of weeks. :)
Good for you! I really liked my 600. :happybikeday: :welcome3:
1978 Honda Twinstar 185
1986 Kawasaki 454
1992 Honda Shadow 600

Current bike:
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Christian Motorcyclists Association
Arctic Servants Chapter

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#16 Unread post by MZ33 »

When I was about 9 or 10, Dad got us kids a minibike. My older brother protested that I couldn't ride it because I was a girl. Fortunately, my Dad never stopped me from doing or learning anything because I was a girl. I hopped on and rode.

I was a reckless driver in my youth, and even though I really wanted a motorcycle, I knew I would get myself into trouble sooner or later--and motorcycles aren't as forgiving as cars. My cousin wrecked every vehicle he owned for years, and when he got a bike he was no different. He broke a lot of bones in his mc crash.

Working as a nurse confirmed what I already knew: bikes were dangerous even if you weren't foolhardy. And so many bikers seemed foolhardy on the road: weaving, stunting, or just taking their half of the road on the very center stripe (still don't get why some do that). Add that they are hard to see or keep track of in my mirrors, and I was actually rather against motorcycles.

Fell in love with a marvelous man who had always wanted to ride. Pointed out everything in the previous two paragraphs, but he was not dissuaded. A nearby bikeshop was open as we were walking one evening, and they had a line of scooters: white, black, orange, and pink. So we went in. That's when we also saw our first small cruiser. Now, that, I could at least consider. Gave him the MSF course (for two :wink: ) for his birthday. Test rode a scooter, and suddenly, I was back on the minibike. Wheeee!! This was fun!

So now, at 45, I'm in my first year on my 650cc V star. And it really is fun.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#17 Unread post by MZ33 »

BTW,
:cheerleader: :welcome4: :cheerleader:
  • to TMW!
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#18 Unread post by blues2cruise »

MZ33 wrote:When I was about 9 or 10, Dad got us kids a minibike. My older brother protested that I couldn't ride it because I was a girl. Fortunately, my Dad never stopped me from doing or learning anything because I was a girl. I hopped on and rode.

I was a reckless driver in my youth, and even though I really wanted a motorcycle, I knew I would get myself into trouble sooner or later--and motorcycles aren't as forgiving as cars. My cousin wrecked every vehicle he owned for years, and when he got a bike he was no different. He broke a lot of bones in his mc crash.

Working as a nurse confirmed what I already knew: bikes were dangerous even if you weren't foolhardy. And so many bikers seemed foolhardy on the road: weaving, stunting, or just taking their half of the road on the very center stripe (still don't get why some do that). Add that they are hard to see or keep track of in my mirrors, and I was actually rather against motorcycles.

Fell in love with a marvelous man who had always wanted to ride. Pointed out everything in the previous two paragraphs, but he was not dissuaded. A nearby bikeshop was open as we were walking one evening, and they had a line of scooters: white, black, orange, and pink. So we went in. That's when we also saw our first small cruiser. Now, that, I could at least consider. Gave him the MSF course (for two :wink: ) for his birthday. Test rode a scooter, and suddenly, I was back on the minibike. Wheeee!! This was fun!

So now, at 45, I'm in my first year on my 650cc V star. And it really is fun.
Great story. :) Thanks for sharing.

graymojocat
Regular
Regular

#19 Unread post by graymojocat »

I love hearing the stories. I wish there were more fellow lady riders out here.
Or even that women were encouraged to ride more.
Beginning rider, mother of two.

Scotwench
Rookie
Rookie

#20 Unread post by Scotwench »

As a younger sister to two fearless boys I got my introduction to bikes when I was very young. I remember riding a mini-bike by the age of 5. Followed my older brothers and their friends around whenever I could and they would allow me to ride their "BIG" bikes... 50 cc. :wink: I was riding bikes I could barely reach the pegs on...couldn't even begin to stop until I got back to our house so they could catch the bike before it fell! Then I got older and stopped for many years except as a pillion-pal.

Met my husband almost 8 years ago and rode pillion with him for most of that time, always bragging that I knew how to ride but hadn't done it in years. He surprised me about 1 and half years ago and brought home a 250 Rebel to "teach" me how to ride. I straddled the seat and prepared for my first trip around the yard. He began to lift his leg and I asked what was he doing?!?! He was going to get on the back to teach me!!! :shock: I gently replied that I just needed him to remind me of the shift pattern and step away from the bike...and I was off. Didn't even dump the clutch.... that day.

Unfortunately it didn't take long for me to dump the clutch, dump the bike and face the reality of how much I had forgotten. :wink: There was a reason he brought home one that had already been dumped and dinged. Man, I hate it when he is right sometimes!

Well, I have moved up in size and am now the proud owner and daytime-dreamer of a '99 VLX600CB. I am loving it and DH is feelin' proud!

On our first interstate ride I was doing great but not yet comfortable. The Reb ws taking a pretty good beating on our less-than-well-maintained freeways so my concentration was intense as I controlled my bike and monitored the traffic around me. I noticed this car hanging in the lane to my left and it just would NOT move on. I looked over and it was a woman waiting for my glance to give me an exhuberant thumbs-up. I tossed her a wave and she moved on. It made me feel really proud personally and as a woman representing a select few who overcome the fears and scarey tales to indulge in this sport. It seems as I become older I'm less afraid to jump out and take chances. Glad there are some perks to aging!