best bike for little me?

lostsoulstav
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male

best bike for little me?

#1 Unread post by lostsoulstav »

I am 5 feet tall and have a 28 inch inseam. I want something really light but I want to be able to take it on the freeway. I am not a really experienced rider so I need something good for starters. What's a good bike for me?

Wind Rider
Rookie
Rookie

Small Bike

#2 Unread post by Wind Rider »

I'm 5' 1". My first bike is a Honda Rebel. It's the only bike that I have found that I can reach everything. I feel very comfortable with it now that I have taken the Honda riding school and have practice.

Have a great day!

bikernana
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by bikernana »

I'm a newbie rider too. I'm 5'4" and my inseam is about 29 - 30". I bought a suzuki S40. It's perfect for me. I can stand flat footed and it's light enough to handle. I suggest that you go to different shops and sit on different bikes to make sure you feel comfortable on them.
Stay Safe,

Biker Nana AKA Sandy

2007 Suzuki C40 (Mine)
2007 Ninja 250 (My first but Hubby wanted me to have something w/more ccs.)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 (Hubby's)

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

The Yamaha 250 is also a good option. Kawasaki makes a 500cc Vulcan that may fit
Also a Kawasaki 250 Ninja.

....go to the shops and start sitting n the bikes.

:welcome: to TMW.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Shorts »

I second the Vulcan 500. The seat height is low, but it you can't flat foot it, its probably the width taking up the extra room. Skim some fat from the width of the seat and you're golden.

Schmink
Regular
Regular

#6 Unread post by Schmink »

I just bought a Yahama V-Star Custom 1100, but it also comes in a 650. I am only 5' 4" and had a hard time flat footing my Honda 650 and started looking at the cruisers because of the lower slung seat. I am able to flat foot this bike and it's a very comfortable ride.

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by follow »

Well I am a HD person, I am 5'3" with an inseam of 27" I use to have a sportster L and can touch flat footed on the ground (did have to change the shocks to shorter ones), and I currently have a Streetglide and handle it just fine with both feet on the ground (seat had to be shaved down).
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: best bike for little me?

#8 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

lostsoulstav wrote:I am 5 feet tall and have a 28 inch inseam. I want something really light but I want to be able to take it on the freeway. I am not a really experienced rider so I need something good for starters. What's a good bike for me?
Have you taken the MSF course? Do that first. Most places use the Honda Rebel or Suzuki GZ250 as range bikes (along with the Nighthawk 250) will give you a chance to check them out.

For someone your size, you don't have to worry about needing a lot of power. A 250 will do the job. You DO want to beware of getting something HEAVY for your first bike.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

RocketGirl
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Virago 250

Ladies Lounge - First Bike

#9 Unread post by RocketGirl »

I learned on the Kawaski Eliminator 125cc in the Basic Ride Course.

I'm 4'11" with a 28" inseam. I sat on a Honda Rebel, but didn't like how the battery dug into the side of my thighs when I flat-foot it.

The Yamaha Virago 250cc is the bike I bought. I've enjoyed every aspect of learning how to ride a motorcycle with this bike. It's even more comfortable to ride around town now that I've added a windshield. To get out of our neighborhood you have a choice of a 50mph or 55mph state road.

It really doesn't like to stay in first gear, so that's really been the challenging part for me especially taking a left or right turn from a stop.

When I go riding with my husband and others who have larger bikes, they've been great about letting me lead. In this way, I don't have to stress out about keeping up with the pack.

Enjoy shopping for your bike!

supertoft
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by supertoft »

Not for nothing but the V-Twin Mama web site has an excellent section on bike types/sizes for women with pictures and reviews. It's pretty good, check it out. What's your price range? If you have money to burn, there are some Harleys that target the smaller or newer rider with ultra low seat heights and that cool tater sound. If you like cruisers, you have the small Hondas (Honda VLX 600 is a sweet little cruiser) that are very nice and less money. If you are sporty, the ninja 250 is supposed to be a light and fun bike.

If you are a small, new rider, try a used small bike and know that you will probably drop it until you gain experience (that's why a first bike should be used). If you haven't already, take the MSF Rining Course.
Currently Own: 2006 Honda VTX 1300C

*****Old Broads Rule!*****