Ready to move up?

Iamjustifyd
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Ready to move up?

#1 Unread post by Iamjustifyd »

Heya folks, I've got a 2007 ninja 250 and have been riding it for a couple of months now. I really like it and getting used to the highway and being in traffic. I'm thinking about going a step up to a 500 but I keep hearing just give it the summer and step up next summer. It's not that I want to go faster, I feel so small on the highway and blown around alot. :shock: Something I get used to? Just give it time?

Thanks for the input :D
Whatever happened...I didn't do it!!
2007 ninja 250r Sold
2004 Ninja 500R sold
2003 Bandit 600

mahgnillig
Rookie
Rookie

#2 Unread post by mahgnillig »

I would suggest keeping the little Ninja for a while longer. I had mine for almost 2 years before upgrading it to a Ninja 650. You don't necessarily have to keep it that long, but if you ride it for a year you'll learn to get every ounce of performance out of it and it will make you a better rider. As for being blown around on the highway... it doesn't get that much better with a bigger bike unless you get something that's a real tank (think big heavy cruiser with a ton of chrome). Sport bikes are all comparatively light and most have full fairings, so they will catch the wind and wobble you about a bit.

If you haven't already, consider upgrading your tyres... this helps a lot with rain grooves on the freeway if you have those in your area. My 250 felt a lot more stable after I switched the stock tyres to Pirelli Sport Demons.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Shorts »

I'd keep the 250. I've been on mine for going on 16mths, granted 6 o those were winter and no riding and I had some work to do in regards to this riding with one hand, but...my riding is getting better and better. And not just better from I do things correctly, but better in that my mind, controls and bike are in tune with each other.

Ok, flip side, I still flub the controls. Today for instance, at a stoplight, I put the bike in N, pulled up my visor and started to relax. Well, the light turned green quicker than I expected and in my haste to get my visor back down and my hand back on the controls, I seriously goosed the throttle as I kicked into first. Now, I was on the clutch and aware of what I did, so no harm done, just a louder than normal take off. BUT, I am saying that even with some riding time and "knowing" how to ride, there's still mistakes that will be made. The longer you're on the bike, the more you'll get fine tuned with it. In that time, not only do you know that particular bike better, but you can also hone skills because you are so familiar with it you can adjust. I think those are gains you can't overlook and they will stay with you as you progress to different bikes.

Of course, I'm also a freak in that I normally develop a relationship and get very attached to the vehicles and things I own :oops:
Last edited by Shorts on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iamjustifyd
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by Iamjustifyd »

Thanks for the info guys:) A ninja 650 is what I have my eye on next...maybe next summer. I love the 07 blue
2007 ninja 250r Sold
2004 Ninja 500R sold
2003 Bandit 600

sannyc
Rookie
Rookie

I had to upgrade

#5 Unread post by sannyc »

Me too, I had to upgrade. Road a Honda Rebel 250 for 1 month before buying a Honda Shadow VLX 600. Road the cruiser for 3 months before purchasing a street bike because the cruiser didn't cut it in NYC for me. I now have a Yamaha FZ6 650 and love it.

I test road several bikes at Americaid in Lake George, NY last weekend and learning that I have picked the perfect bike for me.

SanNYC
Yamaha FZ6 - 2006

Iamjustifyd
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by Iamjustifyd »

Wish there was a place around here to test ride. Only 2 places to rent and one is Harley...I already know I don't want a Harley. And renting a bunch of different bikes could get pretty pricey :shock:
2007 ninja 250r Sold
2004 Ninja 500R sold
2003 Bandit 600

Brenda
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by Brenda »

I did the same as sannyc -- started on a Rebel 250 and within a couple of months was ready to move up and got a VLX 600. I felt much more stable on the bigger bike while still being on a good beginner's bike.

Just a few weeks ago, I bought an ACE 750. I wanted something that would allow me to keep up with hubby on his VTX 1800 on long cruises and I thought this move up would be just as smooth as the last one but I was wrong. This bike handles so much differently than the 600 that I've lost much of the confidence I gained on the 600. I realize now that I should have stayed on the 600 at least another season before tackling a bigger bike.

Iamjustifyd
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by Iamjustifyd »

Yeah, I want something a little bigger. Not a ninja 650 or anything....yet :D
2007 ninja 250r Sold
2004 Ninja 500R sold
2003 Bandit 600

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#9 Unread post by Brackstone »

I kept my Ninja 250 for a very long riding season 8 months. Then I traded up!
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#10 Unread post by flw »

Handling wind is something that will help you on other bikes as well so I would suggest you hold on to that bike until you have the wind under control on the Interstate. Then other bikes will be a breeze to handle :->
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold