Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '11 BMW K1300S

Re: This Week: 2017 Suzuki SV650 - Vote Now

#11 Unread post by snakedoctEr726 »

Jarlaxle wrote:
jstark47 wrote:
snakedoctEr726 wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:It's 2015. Why does this bike still use a chain drive?!
What do you have against chain drive? Yeah they require a little basic maintenance but both alternatives (belt drive and shaft) are heavier, more complicated, and more expensive.
Seriously! This is a lightweight naked sport bike. The 650 twin is punchy but not super powered. Chain is the lightest final drive system with the best efficiency (least parasitic power loss). I would never buy a bike like this unless it had chain drive. And modern chains require so little maintenance that there's nothing to complain about. (BTW check the 4 bikes in my signature - they're all chain drive.)

By the way, kudos to Suzuki for bringing this back. Solid Cool vote.
Will it go 25,000 miles without being touched? (Not replaced, not TOUCHED?) Thought not.
I'm getting the impression that you take a "hands off" approach when it comes to maintenance, which is fine I guess, I'm a professional technician and I literally make my living off of people like you. I'm also getting the impression that use your scooter almost exclusively for commuting, which is also fine.

Belt final drives require maintenance at regular intervals too. Even with a self aligning rear axle, belt deflection needs to be set properly, then checked regularly, and adjusted if need be. All of that does in fact require touching the belt. A properly maintained belt will last longer than a properly maintained chain without a doubt, but that's an argument FOR the belt, not AGAINST the chain. There's no such thing as a maintenance free machine.

Jarlaxle
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2014 Harley SPortster 1200 Touring

Re: 2017 Suzuki SV650 - Coolness Factor = 80.6%

#12 Unread post by Jarlaxle »

No, I am just sick and tired of motorcycles in 2015 that need to be maintained on a level of a 1915 model T! There is no reason that a modern motorcycle should require such a high level of wrenching.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#13 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Docking this points for not having a chain drive is like docking a Lotus for not having power windows. Vehicles are built to purpose, and the purpose of this bike is certainly not to be a drama-free commuter. It's for excitement, and that means chain drive.

Jarlaxle
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2014 Harley SPortster 1200 Touring

#14 Unread post by Jarlaxle »

It's a naked standard, not a supersport.