tailfinn
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD Elctra Glide

bike blue tooth systems

#1 Unread post by tailfinn »

have a 2010 HD Electra Glide Classic....
thinking of getting a blue tooth system to communicate with wife on back of bike
can anybody give me their experiences with them

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Re: bike blue tooth systems

#2 Unread post by Hanson »

Paul,

I use a Sena SMH10 system, but my wife does not ride with me so I have no experience with the linking two of them together for person-to-person communications. I bought two units so that one can be charging in the tank bag while the other is in use and this allows me to ride without any power cords going to the helmet. My units are paired with both my iPhone and my German 390LM GPS which allows me to get music, phone calls, and turn by turn navigation. All of this works very well and I have no complaints. There is a newer product from Sena, the 20S, but it is quite a bit more expensive and I did not think I was getting that much more capability for about twice the cost. The SMH10 battery will last a long time if all you are doing is navigation and phone calls, measured in days, but if you are continually listening to music then the battery will only last about 8 hours.

If you and your wife are doing long trips, then I would think hard about getting three units so that one can always be on the charger.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

tailfinn
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD Elctra Glide

#3 Unread post by tailfinn »

thanks , the Sena 10 was the unit I was looking at....

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#4 Unread post by Hanson »

Just a bit more info.

I use ear plugs when I ride on the highway and the SMH10 does just fine, but only after I did some work on my wind protection, a pair of wind deflectors and a new windshield, to greatly improve the level of wind noise and wind buffeting I was experiencing when riding at speed on the super slab. I would expect your H-D Electra Glide to have excellent wind protection so this should not be an issue for you, but it is an issue that people should be informed about when making a purchasing decision.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I have an SMH10 as well, and use it as a comm unit with other riders on Senas, and it's also paired to my phone for music and navigation. I'm really happy with the SMH10, but if you're mainly going to use a bluetooth system to communicate to one other person (who is also your pillion), there are less expensive systems like the SMH5 or the 3S. The SMH5 has less range than the 10 (which won't matter if you just need to talk to your pillion). You can also only talk with one other unit at a time with the SMH5 (the SMH10 allows 4-way conferencing). Again, this shouldn't matter if you need it to talk to your wife. After all, why pay for features that you aren't going to use? Good luck with your choice.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

HalfBreed
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 45
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan Classic

#6 Unread post by HalfBreed »

My Wife and I use the Sena 20s and couldn't be more pleased, the best feature IMO is the ability to update the soft ware. I noticed a vast improvement in the unit after the first software update about 2 months after I purchased. We use HJC fullface modular helments & ride a 2003 1600 Classic with Cobra exhaust and have no problem communicating with each other, the built in radio and the other features are really nice also.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#7 Unread post by Johnj »

Welcome to the forum Ed. You should head over to the the introduction section so everybody can get to know you. Be sure to include a picture of your Vulcan.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Jarlaxle
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2014 Harley SPortster 1200 Touring

#8 Unread post by Jarlaxle »

I have a Sena SMH5-FM...love it. I recall it's about $100 less than the 10.