flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

What makes a classic motorcycle?

#1 Unread post by flw »

I'm interested in getting involved in restoring classic bikes from the past. 60's or 70's. British or American but less so on the Japanese bike.

Where should I start?

Finding local people that do?

Learning what makes a classic bike?

Learning the price points for a project bike?

Finding outside resources?

What did I miss?

My first question is how to determine what is a true classic vs just what I think?

Idea's.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: What makes a classic motorcycle?

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

flw wrote:IWhat did I miss?
Telling us where you live, so we can provide more local information, would be a good start.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#3 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Typically the easy to work on and find parts for classics have plenty of sights and parts still around. Some, like cb750's and xs650 have new parts being made today by aftermarket companies. Bless those guys!
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#4 Unread post by flw »

Gummiente wrote:
flw wrote:IWhat did I miss?
Telling us where you live, so we can provide more local information, would be a good start.
I live in Northern Il. and would like the keep the bike to a one cylinder bike. I saw a '67 Suzuki TS120 the other day for 1,000 that still runs but needs to be restored. I just don't want to put time and money into a bike that is worth less, when I'm done than when I started.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#5 Unread post by Gummiente »

flw wrote:I live in Northern Il. and would like the keep the bike to a one cylinder bike.
Perfect. Get in touch with these boys: Vintage Iron Riders
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#6 Unread post by slimcolo »

My first question is how to determine what is a true classic vs just what I think?
This really depends on the State or Prov.
In Colorado prior to 2010 to be considered a classic (and tag as a classic motorcycle) it had to be 25 years old. As of 2010 it must be manufactured before 1975 (or been tagged with classic tags prior to 2010) To be called Vintage it must be at least 50 years old (same rules as Horseless Carriage tags on a car, these actually cost less than $13 for five years as opposed to a min. of $47/year for regular bike tags) Also in Colorado Classic or Vintage tagged vehicles are exempt from emissions, but so are all motorcycles.

In South Dakota I believe it is 30 years and New Mexico it is 35 Years. Also I think that Alberta requires a inspection of bike to get classic tags, in addition to age requirements.

Check with the State or Prov. (In Colorado the County Clerk sells most plates but has limited knowledge as to application, Vintage tags are only sold by the state in Denver, or through mail, and cannot be bought at County Clerk)

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#7 Unread post by BuzZz »

Seems you are asking what bikes are desirable (therefore valuable) classics.....?

That depends on a whole lot of factors. A bike that was popular in it's day will have many people willing to pay for a restored example today, since many people will have fond memories of 'back in the day'. Old CB's, Honda Dreams, K/KZ's, XS's, GS's, Triumphs, BSA's and the like.....

Or a bike that was rare-but-had-a-killer-rep will be easy to sell to all those who couldn't afford/find one back then. Kawi Triple 2-strokes, Ducati's... or anything Italian....

The best way to tell if a bike will be easy to sell afterwards might be to check out bike auction sites and classic bike for sale sites to see if what you are thinking of buying and restoring has any demand. I think you might have to wait for the right buyer to sell a restored TS-120 too, but I could be wrong, as I haven't checked into it.

Just my nickel's worth......
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Harvey
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR, Honda Shadow RS

#8 Unread post by Harvey »

A "classic" is anything that isn't made anymore.

jimbeemer
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 49
My Motorcycle: Motorcycle

#9 Unread post by jimbeemer »

A classic isn't just old - it has to have a little extra (Norton Commando, Vincent, Round-case Ducati?) Probably a bit sporty and unreliable when new, more so now. Anold clunker like a BSA M20 might be fun - but it ain't a classic. :boat:

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#10 Unread post by TechTMW »

flw wrote: I live in Northern Il. and would like the keep the bike to a one cylinder bike. I saw a '67 Suzuki TS120 the other day for 1,000 that still runs but needs to be restored. I just don't want to put time and money into a bike that is worth less, when I'm done than when I started.
First, I'd suggest getting a non-desirable bike to 'practice' on. You didn't tell us if you are mechanically inclined, or just starting ... Get a clunker, fix it up and get it running, and see if the whole restoration process is 'for' you. Get something that YOU want to ride. There's a reason why there are so many unfinished 'project' bikes on the market. :humm:

Second, you have to go into it KNOWING that any bike you fix wil probably not sell for more than you put into it. Same rule applies to old cars. Yeah, people do it, but they are typically professionals who have the time and resources to restore an old bike to its former glory. For a shade tree mechanic, without the ability to fabricate or source used parts, you are looking at alot of TIME or MONEY. If you have no mechanical experience, you are also looking at the possibility of costly screw ups.

Just opinion from my experience ... YMMV.
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)