Saving a Vintage Bike from the Scrap Yard

kwconnection
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Saving a Vintage Bike from the Scrap Yard

#1 Unread post by kwconnection »

I was recently given a 1977 XS400 with 9100km on it by my brother in law after it sat in his barn for 20+ years. I would like to restore it but the only document he had was signed ownership in Quebec from a previous owner long since gone. It does have a 1984 Ontario Plate on it but I have no document to support that the bike was ever registered in Ontario or by whom. I tried to move the ownership to me but the license office will not do that without a bill of sale from the owner that signed the Quebec ownership.

In your experience of restoring bikes have your run into this and how did you handle it. I would really rather not have this bike go to the junkyard as it deserves better – particularly because of the low km’s.

:frusty:
Staying togther is hard it's like defying gravity!

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

I got a Maine title for a bike once.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

poet

#3 Unread post by poet »

Would a salvage title work?
Do they have those in Canada?
http://www.fridgedoor.com/apblmaysunjo.html
-Apache Blessing

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither." paraphrased different ways - Benjamin Franklin ... also Associated to Thomas Jefferson

viennatech
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Saving a Vintage Bike from the Scrap Yard

#4 Unread post by viennatech »

kwconnection wrote:me but the license office will not do that without a bill of sale from the owner that signed the Quebec ownership.

In your experience of restoring bikes have your run into this and how did you handle it. I would really rather not have this bike go to the junkyard as it deserves better – particularly because of the low km’s.

:frusty:
They got their $30....
Last edited by viennatech on Fri May 28, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TFGeek
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 1981/Suzuki/GS400e

Re: Saving a Vintage Bike from the Scrap Yard

#5 Unread post by TFGeek »

From my dad in law, this took place several years ago mind you, and might be BC only.

Send a letter to the address of the last known registered owner. The letter should say something alongs the line of
"Hello, I'm blah, I'm looking for blah, if you are blah, I have your bike, if you are not blah, please reply to the return address that you are not blah"

That shows that you tried to contact the previous owner, but cannot, and thusly, the bike defaults to belonging to you. There will be a problem if the case is "I am blah, and I want my bike back"

Hope this is helpful.