First post: What's a good, cheaper, vintage cruiser?

skypix
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

First post: What's a good, cheaper, vintage cruiser?

#1 Unread post by skypix »

Hi everybody: Great site.

I rode a 67 Honda 305 Scrambler in the late '60s on the freeways of LA for 2 years, nearly vibrated my fillings out, then got a car and learned to relax a bit. That bike had to really push to hit 70 and I was scared with the grooves in the road all the time. But I never lost the love of motorcycling, though I didn't ride for years. Had an 82 1100 Goldwing for a couple years back in the mid 90s, wanted to take cruises but never had enough money to really outfit the bike right so sold it.

I got back into riding 3 years ago with a $400 rusted up (left outdoors a lot) but real strong Suzuki GS650 G shaft drive. It looks kinda like hell, I put $300 into it to replace the electrical harness and give it a complete check out. 16,000 miles then, I've put about 2,000 on it. It's fun to ride on the curvy hills where I live.

I've thought about rebuilding it for cosmetics but it's too buzzy/light feeling for the open road. I think I'd rather start with a slightly bigger bike...it's just not real comfortable above 65 on the highway...lots of vibration, feels a little light for cruising and that's what I want to do.

So I'm asking for some advice on a good, shaft drive bike that I can wind the corners with a bit locally (I live in the hilly farm country below Albany , NY), but that I won't be intimidated with (read more solid road-holder) on the highway. And, I forgot to say, is comfortable. I love the 650 for short rides up to about 100 miles, great gas economy, torques up good in all five gears, but it's hard on the butt on long trips, ditto on the wrist of my throttle arm .

I think about $2500 would be the most I want to spend. I don't want a Harley, don't want another Goldwing, a bit too heavy for me. Something in between, shaft drive, a bit sporty but just more comfy at higher speeds, I guess is what I'm looking for. And with that classic street bike (not crotch rocket) styling. After all, I'm a boomer.

I'm 61, solid and fairly conservative rider (at my age that makes sense), have had the MSF course, never laid a bike down and don't intend to.

Thanks for the help.

Jim
--Adventure is in the new stuff

liablemtl
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 29
My Motorcycle: 2002 Yamaha FZ1

#2 Unread post by liablemtl »

I'd look at getting a Virago 750, 920 or 1100 or a V45 or V65 Magna if you want something a little older. That V65 Magna goes like a raped ape if you want it to or it just tools along allowing you to take in the scenery. The V4 power plant in both the V45 and the V65 have a smooth power band and have plenty of low end grunt and mid range power, not to mention, it will scream at high revs. The Virago has a pretty standard V-twin mill. I had an '83 750 and I enjoyed it quite a bit.
We're the first ones to starve
We're the first ones to die
The first ones in line for that pie in the sky
But we're always the last
When the gravy's shared out
For the worker is working when the fat cat's about

skypix
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by skypix »

thanks, that's just the kind of info I'm looking for. I've checked out the Magna a bit, haven't looked at the Virago though, will do so.

liablemtl
Legendary
Legendary

#4 Unread post by liablemtl »

Depending on your price range, all of those bikes in the 80's models can be had fairly reasonably. I've even seen some decently priced early 90's Virago 1100's. I ride an '02 FZ1 which is a site different than a Virago or a Magna, but I wouldn't mind adding either of those to my garage. Look at the early 90's Intruder as well.

Kawasaki made the 600 Eliminator in the early 90's, but it got hashed for being underpowered. I dig those also... for cruisers, I'm not looking for performance, I'm looking for something to "cruise" on. :mrgreen: Good luck on your search.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#5 Unread post by NorthernPete »

what about the Vstar's?
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

skypix
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by skypix »

Thanks y'all!

V Stars seem just a little pricey, I really want to spend around 2500 or so.

Have seen some nice Viragos, even one across the country...hmmm...you can hear what I'm thinkin', right?

skypix
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by skypix »

Between a Virago 750 and a Magna V45, which in your opinion:

1 would be quieter? (I'm not into lots of noise, my GS650G is smooth and strong but not offensive)
2 get better mileage?
3 be more comfortable on long trips?

thanks

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#8 Unread post by jmillheiser »

1. Both are going to be pretty quiet if you keep the stock exhaust.
2. the Virago, Magnas are not known for getting the worlds greatest fuel economy
3. about the same, but the magna will be faster and probably a little smoother too

liablemtl
Legendary
Legendary

#9 Unread post by liablemtl »

The V45 has a much smoother engine than the virago. The stock exhaust set up should be plenty quiet on either one. My virago got horrible gas mileage... around the low 30's. I don't know about the V45. The Virago I had was a stock set up and was fairly comfortable. It wasn't too bad considering I prefer a more upright riding position... in fact, I prefer a sport riding position to a cruiser set up.

motogirl
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by motogirl »

Hi,

I bought my 95 Virago 750 about 2 months ago, with 23K miles. Paid $2200. I think the seat is very comfortable and cushy compared to most of the hard seats I've seen on other bikes. I'm getting about 45-47 mpg. I love it, no regrets.

good luck,
Janet
One can never consent to creep when one feels the urge to soar - Helen Keller