Worst/ Dangerous roads to ride

Ladymx
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

Worst/ Dangerous roads to ride

#1 Unread post by Ladymx »

What are the worst roads or most dangerous roads to ride, and why? Give the name and location of the roads.
Last edited by Ladymx on Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

keysman

#2 Unread post by keysman »

I think those Southern California riders could come up with a few Freeways down there that are pretty bad.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

Chick
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Chick »

There is a road between Santa Maria and Lompoc, Called Harris Grade. Great twisties, but between squids and idiots in their hopped up encon boxes going a lot faster than the road and their skills allow, there are a lot of head on fatals up there. Not a good place for bikes.
02 Pearl Yellow ZZ-R1200; Holeshots, Corbin, Ohlins, High Point Wheels,

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

For those of us in Calgary, I have to say our #1 most dangerous road to ride would be Hwy #2 (Deerfoot).

100km/h limit in the city, 110km/h limit outside the city, but the speed limits only seem like guidelines to the majority of drivers on the Deerfoot. 10-20km over the speed limit is required just to stay with traffic and some drivers are going 30+km/h over.

Also it doesn't help the cagers drive like madmen on the Deerfoot and that the pavement badly needs replacing to boot!

Mike.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

the_first_lonewolf
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2006/Harley-Davidson/Roadking

#5 Unread post by the_first_lonewolf »

Never been there yet but the road up Mt. Washington in New Hampshire is so windy, steep and narrow that they close it to bikes quite often. It holds the record for hardest wind gust on land at 231 mph granted this was back in 1934 .

Lonewolf
Everyone has the right to have a faith but no one faith is right for everyone.

Tarzan
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by Tarzan »

A272 in Hampshire UK. Always makes me nervous when you see signs up along the road that say "93 casualties in 3 years..."

mswarrior
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by mswarrior »

SASKATCHEWAN, I cannot say it any louder. The #1 is bad enough but if you dare trek off it while in Saskatchewan your in for a horrible ride. I've seen pot holes bigger than my bike, and being a farming province I was constantly trying to aviod all the mud and crops they dump on the roads.
Many say live to ride, I say ride is to live.

zarakand
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#8 Unread post by zarakand »

Near Des Plaines suburb of Chicago on Route 58 (extremely busy) in the middle of nowhere is the only roundabout for miles. It's nickname is Suicide Circle. Almost everytime I go past there I see a crash....Don't think I'm ever going to go that route on my bike.

Though I love to encourage my favorite cagers to go that route! :twisted:

calif562
Rookie
Rookie

710 frwy, Long Beach, Ca.

#9 Unread post by calif562 »

The Long Beach frwy. gets my vote. A zillion trucks make their rounds to the port of Long Beach. It's scary enough in my big Dodge Ram p/u. Pot holes as big as moon craters are everywhere after a good rain. Stay off at all cost. Unless of course, you like the challenge.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#10 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Tarzan wrote:A272 in Hampshire UK. Always makes me nervous when you see signs up along the road that say "93 casualties in 3 years..."
Not as bad as the A14 in cambridgeshire, which boast "294 casualties in 2004" (9 times the amount of the A272)

It's a dual carriageway, in a good state of repair, and no blind bends or dodgy junctions. But becuase theres quite a few lorries on it, the cagers get wound up, and drive like psychos.
A lot of the crashes are even people who instead of going straight on, or taking the sliproad off at a junction, don't seem to be able to make their minds up, trying to go through the barrier where they divide :1eye:

There really is no reason for ANY crashes on that road, but they happen with alarming regularity. Oh well, it gave me enough excuse to avoid it, and take the marvellously twisty backroads that run parallel with it instead
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]